2024-25 Roster Thread

Here we go again. Same format as last year. Hopefully with a little less action the first week. Not making any assumptions about who may be returning until they have either indicated that they are coming back or the portal closes on May 1st. I will edit this post daily if things are changing to keep the most recent info at the top. With that being said let's have a great off season and put together a roster that can win the A10!

2023-24 Roster

Fr. Michael Belle
RS Fr. Fats Billups
RS Fr. Obinnaya Okafor
So. Tobi Lawal
So. Christian Fermin
So. Jason Nelson
Jr. Roosevelt Wheeler
Sr. Max Shulga
Sr. Zeb Jackson
Sr. Connor Odom-Walk On
Sr. Joe Bamisile
Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Out Of Eligibility

Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Recruits Signed

Brandon Jennings
Luke Bamgboye
Terrence Hill

Portal Out

Jason Nelson - Youngstown State
Roosevelt Wheeler - ETSU
Tobi Lawal - VPI
Max Shulga - Villanova

Portal In

Jack Clark - From Clemson
Phillip Russell - From UTA
Jamarii Thomas - From Norfolk State

2024-25 Roster

Fr. Brandon Jennings
Fr. Luke Bamgboye
Fr. Terrence Hill
RS Fr. Obinnaya Okafor
So. Michael Belle
RS So. Fats Billups
Jr. Christian Fermin
Jr. Phillip Russell
5th Yr. Sr. Joe Bamisile
5th Yr. Sr. Zeb Jackson
5th Yr. Sr. Max Shulga
7th Yr. Sr. Jack Clark

12 of 13 Scholarships

Last edited:
I think we're done. This is a championship roster. Odom has done an outstanding job in a chaotic environment
I believe we probably are as well but I have been surprised before! Updated the main post for the final time perhaps. We ended up with 3 non transfer recruits which I was not necessarily expecting. Obviously the Thomas stuff was weird, but I am really shocked that we will have Max, Zeb and Joe on the team next season. That was a very pleasant surprise.

5/22/24

The framework of a 2024-25 roster (heading into Jun 2024) looks like this (for now):

Starters
1)
Sr Russell (4th yr) - effectively the Bairstow scholly replacement
2) Sr Shulga (5th yr)
3) Sr Jackson (5th yr)
4) Sr Clark (5th yr)* - effectively the Kuany scholly replacement
5) Portal - effectively the Lawal scholly replacement

Rotation
6)
Fr Hill - effectively the Nelson scholly replacement
7) Sr Bamisile (5th yr)
8) So Billups
9) So Belle
10) Jr Fermin

Bench
11)
Fr Jennings
12) Portal or HS recruit (late signee/decommit) - effectively the Wheeler scholly replacement
13) Fr (RS) Okafor

*Clark eligibility (presumably) pending official NCAA-approved medical waiver documentation (from a previous season)

Notes:
a)
Up to 2 remaining slots to fill (presumably thru the portal)
b) Additional/continuing needs: Size, strength, muscle/toughness, athleticism, depth
c) Use available schollies to round out the rotation, create depth, and provide protection against injury, foul trouble, performance lapses, eligibility issues, etc.

d) An "alpha big" (leader/producer/"go-to" guy) is still desired
e) Players can (and do) move up and down the "projected depth chart" based on summer/physical development, skills upgrade/advancement, roster additions/deletions, health/injury, etc

6/10/24

The 2024-25 roster (heading into Jul 2024) looks like this (for now):

Starters
1)
Sr Russell (4th yr) - effectively the Bairstow scholly replacement
2) Sr Shulga (5th yr)
3) Sr Jackson (5th yr)
4) Sr Clark (5th yr)* - effectively the Kuany scholly replacement
5) Jr Fermin

Rotation
6)
Fr Hill - effectively the Nelson scholly replacement
7) Sr Bamisile (5th yr)
8) So Billups
9) So Belle
10) Fr Bamgboye - effectively the Lawal scholly replacement

Bench
11)
Fr Jennings
12) Portal or HS recruit (late signee/decommit)** - effectively the Okafor scholly replacement
13) Portal or HS recruit (late signee/decommit) - effectively the Wheeler scholly replacement

*Clark eligibility (presumably) pending official NCAA-approved medical waiver documentation (from a previous season)
**Status of Okafor TBD

Notes:
a)
1-2 remaining slots to fill (presumably thru the portal and or HS)
b) Additional/continuing needs: Size, strength, muscle/toughness, athleticism, depth
c) Use available schollies to create depth and provide protection against injury, foul trouble, performance lapses, eligibility issues, etc.

d) An "alpha big" (leader/producer/"go-to" guy) is still desired (but not expected)
e) Players can (and do) move up and down the "projected depth chart" based on summer/physical development, skills upgrade/advancement, roster additions/deletions, health/injury, etc

Last edited:
Yeah, if we wanted to use our last scholly I'd like us to get someone who can play the 3, 4, or 5 (like Clark can), but this roster honestly looks pretty good as is and we've got some solid depth.

At some point when the music stops and you're on the outside looking in....regardless of NIL monies, DO you or do you NOT wanna play D1 ball at a top mid major like VCU???

There will be guys out there that wanna play and, I don't know, wouldn't mind getting a degree (and all the accouterments that come with that)....gimme one of THOSE guys off the bench!!

Ok, with our roster all set, let the Kool-Aid flow.
I'll step right up.

The big question is bigs but in terms of our guards, we are stacked. The Clark kid from Clemson should give us some needed power inside. If Fermin turns the corner... We're looking at a big season. I would expect us to make the tournament, anything less would be a disappointment.

Bam is going to have a huge year.

I'll step right up.

The big question is bigs but in terms of our guards, we are stacked. The Clark kid from Clemson should give us some needed power inside. If Fermin turns the corner... We're looking at a big season. I would expect us to make the tournament, anything less would be a disappointment.

Going to be interesting to see what happens when we face teams with solid front lines like Dayton, Loyola, etc. whose style prevails? We are going to wear teams out with our strong 4 guards and 3 Wings. No doubt we are going to be light in the pants up front. Just wish we could find a guy with some weight who can help in the post.

I drank the kool-aid when I was a kid. We have too much, really good, craft beer here on the Forgotten Coast, that I forgot what it tastes like.

I'll step right up.

I'm right there with you. Our backcourt is really strong, with Max, Zeb, Bam and Phillip. I'm really looking forward to seeing Belle make the sophomore leap. Up front, I expect Clark to be solid. Now we need to see Fermin reward Odom's trust, and get some support from Okafor and Bamgboye. My goal is always to make the NCAA tournament - this year it's my expectation as well.

Is it time for the Black and Gold game yet?!?!

I'm right there with you. Our backcourt is really strong, with Max, Zeb, Bam and Phillip. I'm really looking forward to seeing Belle make the sophomore leap. Up front, I expect Clark to be solid. Now we need to see Fermin reward Odom's trust, and get some support from Okafor and Bamgboye. My goal is always to make the NCAA tournament - this year it's my expectation as well.

Is it time for the Black and Gold game yet?!?!
F it, let's move it up to July 1.

I'll step right up.

Its going to be great having Bam this time at the very start of the season

If Bamg can catch the ball in the paint and not slap at rebounds we are already ahead of last year.

Ok, with our roster all set, let the Kool-Aid fllow
Random fact...I was at my local record store searching for some vinyl when I came across an LP of The Reverend Jim Jones's Last Sermon....it was in a bin with the jailhouse recordings of Charles Manson

NTctNzQxNi5qcGVn.jpeg

I've got a vast and varied collection that spans multiple genres....but I passed on that one

Back