2024-25 Roster Thread

Here we go again. Same format as last year. Hopefully with a little less action the first week. Not making any assumptions about who may be returning until they have either indicated that they are coming back or the portal closes on May 1st. I will edit this post daily if things are changing to keep the most recent info at the top. With that being said let's have a great off season and put together a roster that can win the A10!

2023-24 Roster

Fr. Michael Belle
RS Fr. Fats Billups
RS Fr. Obinnaya Okafor
So. Tobi Lawal
So. Christian Fermin
So. Jason Nelson
Jr. Roosevelt Wheeler
Sr. Max Shulga
Sr. Zeb Jackson
Sr. Connor Odom-Walk On
Sr. Joe Bamisile
Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Out Of Eligibility

Sr. Kuany Kuany
Sr. Sean Bairstow

Recruits Signed

Brandon Jennings

Portal Out

Jason Nelson
Roosevelt Wheeler
Tobi Lawal - VPI
Max Shulga

Portal In

2024-25 Roster

Fr. Brandon Jennings - Signed 11/10/23
5th Yr. Sr. Joe Bamisile - Indicated He Is Returning
5th Yr. Sr. Zeb Jackson - Indicated He Is Returning

3 of 13 Scholarships

Last edited:
I have no idea, but I am reasonably certain that all scholarships are one-year arrangements and have to renewed. I have never heard that they "roll over" automatically.

But especially in this case, I would assume that Okafor was told at the time he got the scholarship last year that it was a one-shot deal made possible by the fact that the staff decided to leave multiple scholarships just lying around and not to count on it again. Maybe if we again decide we don't need all of the players we are allowed to have he will get lucky again

Scholarships are renewed annually, with the exception of the BIG and maybe one other P5 conference going to 4 year scholarships several years ago. Not sure if they still do that with the current state of the transfer portal.

Women’s team is a great example. Look at how many players bailed after one of our best years including our POTY. Who cares about developing players now? Sounds harsh but players can transfer whenever they want. Bring players that can contribute and win. I’m not gonna spend years developing a person though to watch them walk out the min they become a star.

Not to be an @$$hole or anything.... but when's the last time you went to a WBB game?..... I'll wait.

Don't act like you support them, when you prob haven't been to a game since your college days..... and if you take out the "HerStory" game on Senior day just a few weeks ago..... most people on these boards haven't been to one in years..... if they've ever been to one at all.

Also.... at least she gave us 4 full years here. And no one knows the reason she left..... one could assume it would be to better her stock in case she wants to get to the WNBA.

She's already got a spot on the Canadian National Team locked up.... unlike on the Men's side where we seemingly crank out NBA talent left & right over the past decade plus....

In my time of following VCU Basketball (Men's or women's).... we've had 4 players in the WNBA

Krystal Vaughn, Quanitra Hollingsworth both got drafted & were there for a couple seasons. I think Krystal was on there for 1 or 2 before going over seas permanently..... Q was there for a while off and on but no longer there.

Courtney Hurt (our schools all time leading scorer Men's or Women's) got drafted.... and then got cut in training camp, so she's never even played a game in the WNBA

And then Robyn Parks, who just last year made the Chicago Sky after 9 years overseas..... she finally got her opportunity in the WNBA.

So it's not like VCU is some WNBA recruiting hot spot.

Also, if it weren't for me & a handful of others on here or on twitter/FB..... you probably wouldn't even know that she got POTY, or scored 1400+ points, cracked the VCU's Top 10 all time scoring on the women's side or anything else about our WBB team.... because you like most others probably find WBB boring, or just conveniently can't find time to go to a game & support them.

So please stop bringing up WBB or bashing our players when you don't even support them really to begin with.

Also only 2 players for WBB so far have entered the portal, (not like its the whole team like the Men last year).... and funny how you're not throwing the other player under the bus for transferring. Maybe it's because she never really played? But how would you know, since you don't go to games & support them?

Last edited:
Not to be an @$$hole or anything.... but when's the last time you went to a WBB game?..... I'll wait.

Don't act like you support them, when you prob haven't been to a game since your college days..... and if you take out the "HerStory" game on Senior day just a few weeks ago..... most people on these boards haven't been to one in years..... if they've ever been to one at all.

Also.... at least she gave us 4 full years here. And no one knows the reason she left..... one could assume it would be to better her stock in case she wants to get to the WNBA.

She's already got a spot on the Canadian National Team locked up.... unlike on the Men's side where we seemingly crank out NBA talent left & right over the past decade plus....

In my time of following VCU Basketball (Men's or women's).... we've had 4 players in the WNBA

Krystal Vaughn, Quanitra Hollingsworth both got drafted & were there for a couple seasons. I think Krystal was on there for 1 or 2 before going over seas permanently..... Q was there for a while off and on but no longer there.

Courtney Hurt (our schools all time leading scorer Men's or Women's) got drafted.... and then got cut in training camp, so she's never even played a game in the WNBA

And then Robyn Parks, who just last year made the Chicago Sky after 9 years overseas..... she finally got her opportunity in the WNBA.

Also, if it weren't for me & a handful of others on here or on twitter/FB..... you probably wouldn't even know that she got POTY, or scored 1400+ points, cracked the VCU's Top 10 all time scoring on the women's side or anything else about our WBB team.... because you like most others probably find WBB boring, or just conveniently can't find time to go to a game & support them.

So please stop bringing up WBB or bashing our players when you don't even support them really to begin with.

I never go to games and I have no problem bringing up the women's bball team or any other sport.

All the players you just listed above(for the most part) came thru vcu before the portal era.

The women's landscape is no different than the Men's. The Bag of cash is the main driver and you gotta have it to stay good.

Unfortunately, there is no salary cap to level the playing field and implement revenue sharing so the wealth gap between the P5's and mid majors will continue to expand.

Last edited:
I never go to games and I have no problem bringing up the women's bball team or any other sport.

All the players you just listed above(for the most part) came thru vcu before the portal era.

The women's landscape is no different than the Men's. The Bag of cash is the main driver and you gotta have it to stay good.
I'm well aware the came before the portal... I've been following them since 2007 & am close friends with them. And have seen players transfer for a number of reasons. Most for playing time, but there are some who transferred for other reasons, that I won't go in to on here.

As far as your last statement.... Yes & no.

WBB has a handful of stars.... currently Caitlin Clark, Juju Watkins, Paige Bueckers and a handful of others..... could Sarah become a star on the NCAA level? Maybe.... who knows.

Only real stars to come out of the A10 on the Women's side in recent years are Natasha Cloud (played for St Joes).... and the biggest being Jonquel Jones (who went to the WNBA out of GW... but transferred from Clemson to GW before she really made it big on the college level).

Taya Robinson, a VCU Alum was big on the A10 level and around Richmond (her home town).... but Nationally if you asked who she was.... People woulda been like, WHO?

Sarah had a great 4 years here, could she run it back here? Sure, but other than possibly winning A10 POTY again, possibly breaking VCU's all time scoring record.... And if we are lucky (which we weren't this year, despite a career year all around)... we might win the A10 Tourney & go Dancing.

But what if we don't win the A10 Tourney..... chances are we end up in the WBIT/WNIT again and she gets over looked.

Where as she could transfer to a P5 contender, show that she can compete against the best of the best & make a name for herself on a National Level & position herself better for getting to the WNBA..... Which I'll be honest, I can't blame her for doing.

I just find it ironic that someone who doesn't even follow the WBB team much (if at all) would bring them up in a debate about the transfer portal & such as it relates to MBB (which clearly more people care about MBB than our WBB team.)

Unfortunately, there is no salary cap to level the playing field and implement revenue sharing so the wealth gap between the P5's and mid majors will continue to expand.
But the bag of cash is considerably smaller for the women's game unless you are South Carolina, LSU, Uconn or Notre Dame (maybe a few others, not many).

I'm well aware the came before the portal... I've been following them since 2007 & am close friends with them. And have seen players transfer for a number of reasons. Most for playing time, but there are some who transferred for other reasons, that I won't go in to on here.

As far as your last statement.... Yes & no.

WBB has a handful of stars.... currently Caitlin Clark, Juju Watkins, Paige Bueckers and a handful of others..... could Sarah become a star on the NCAA level? Maybe.... who knows.

Only real stars to come out of the A10 on the Women's side in recent years are Natasha Cloud (played for St Joes).... and the biggest being Jonquel Jones (who went to the WNBA out of GW... but transferred from Clemson to GW before she really made it big on the college level).

Taya Robinson, a VCU Alum was big on the A10 level and around Richmond (her home town).... but Nationally if you asked who she was.... People woulda been like, WHO?

Sarah had a great 4 years here, could she run it back here? Sure, but other than possibly winning A10 POTY again, possibly breaking VCU's all time scoring record.... And if we are lucky (which we weren't this year, despite a career year all around)... we might win the A10 Tourney & go Dancing.

But what if we don't win the A10 Tourney..... chances are we end up in the WBIT/WNIT again and she gets over looked.

Where as she could transfer to a P5 contender, show that she can compete against the best of the best & make a name for herself on a National Level & position herself better for getting to the WNBA..... Which I'll be honest, I can't blame her for doing.

I just find it ironic that someone who doesn't even follow the WBB team much (if at all) would bring them up in a debate about the transfer portal & such as it relates to MBB (which clearly more people care about MBB than our WBB team.)
Yeah, it's not like we have had a mass exodus, at least to this point, from the women's team. So far, we still have a great nucleus returning.

Also only 2 players for WBB so far have entered the portal, (not like its the whole team like the Men last year).... and funny how you're not throwing the other player under the bus for transferring. Maybe it's because she never really played? But how would you know, since you don't go to games & support them?
When someone starts with not to be an @sshole I think everyone knows what comes next. It’s like telling your wife no when she asks if she’s looking chunky and you say “No but” Thats when you die.

And your point that I don’t regularly attend games? So because I don’t attend everything under the sun I can’t have a view? I believe I already dedicated like 7 years to all of the program's as a student working with athletics, coaches, etc and post grad as a consultant. But feel free to wave from your pedestal down on others don’t attend everything I guess.

Also last I checked I wasn’t the one calling our coach “an idiot the last few years who was running every player off non stop that players won in spite of her” as I remember in conversation despite us winning a lot and getting a A10 championship.

Last edited:
Women’s team is a great example. Look at how many players bailed after one of our best years including our POTY.
It's a total of two players at this point - one who played here four years and earned her degree, and one that scarcely saw the floor. Framing this as some kind of mass exodus is puzzling.

More are expected. Likely 4-5 total.
And of those 4-5 how many of them are/were currently Key players for us?... Obviously Sarah who is in the portal, But what about the rest?

There's only 2 other players besides the ones who are in the portal already, that I could see leaving. 1 of whom like the other player already in the portal, scarcely saw playing time as a freshman.

The other is a player who graduated early, and saw her role diminished this year due to injuries & other players stepping up.... But, without putting her personal life on full blast.... I can also think of a reason she wouldn't transfer.

Other than that we have 1 player who is completely out of eligibility (Samantha Robinson), and another player who I heard has another year left due to medical redshirt/covid year.... and she told me, she plans to come back if possible (which as much of a key player for us as she was), I don't see why she wouldn't come back.

And of those 4-5 how many of them are/were currently Key players for us?... Obviously Sarah who is in the portal, But what about the rest?

There's only 2 other players besides the ones who are in the portal already, that I could see leaving. 1 of whom like the other player already in the portal, scarcely saw playing time as a freshman.

The other is a player who graduated early, and saw her role diminished this year due to injuries & other players stepping up.... But, without putting her personal life on full blast.... I can also think of a reason she wouldn't transfer.

Other than that we have 1 player who is completely out of eligibility (Samantha Robinson), and another player who I heard has another year left due to medical redshirt/covid year.... and she told me, she plans to come back if possible (which as much of a key player for us as she was), I don't see why she wouldn't come back.
Respectfully, I don’t really feel continuing this conversation between us tbh

I will relate this to the men's program....is Tyler Nickel still dating Zoli Khalil? I ask because he is leaving Va Tech.

I will relate this to the men's program....is Tyler Nickel still dating Zoli Khalil? I ask because he is leaving Va Tech.

As recent as a few weeks ago they were still together, as he was at the VCU game at the STU since Tech didn't have a game.

So unless something happened in the last few weeks... I would gather so.

And both her, & her family seem pretty happy here, and I haven't heard anything bout her leaving.... but obviously with the portal... who knows now-a-days.

As recent as a few weeks ago they were still together, as he was at the VCU game at the STU since Tech didn't have a game.

So unless something happened in the last few weeks... I would gather so.

And both her, & her family seem pretty happy here, and I haven't heard anything bout her leaving.... but obviously with the portal... who knows now-a-days.
Nickel, a 6-foot-7, 220-pound sophomore from Harrisonburg, transferred to the Hokies last offseason after spending his freshman season at North Carolina. In 33 games for the Hokies, Nickel made seven starts and was fourth on the team in points, averaging 8.8 points per game. Nickel shot 39.9% from beyond the arc in 2023-24.

Back