2024 NCAA Tourney Talk

I'd love to see one of these MBB teams hire a female.
It could happen one day. There was talk of Nancy Lieberman being a candidate for a few MBB jobs a few years ago but it was just talk. She actually currently coaches the Power BIG3 team. Before that she was an assistant for the Sacramento Kings.
I know you don't make the rules, but if they can be assistants (like we have), why can't they be head coaches?

I'd love to see one of these MBB teams hire a female.

I know you don't make the rules, but if they can be assts (like we have), why can't they be head coaches?
No idea. It does bother me quite a bit because a huge number of women's teams are coached by men (most notably UConn), and it seems that not many women's basketball stars have made the jump to high-level coaching.

The only notable female head coach of an American or Canadian men's basketball team I am aware of is Edniesha Curry (no relation to Steph), who coaches the U.S. Virgin Islands men's basketball team. There are currently five female assistant coaches in the NBA so maybe one of these days one of them could get promoted.

Former WNBA player Tamara Moore coaches men's basketball at Mesabi Range College, a NJCAA school.

On the one hand, I love watching the Dukes of the world go down to defeat. On the other, I hate seeing an example of why a P5 with a losing conference record should be invited to the dance instead of a mid-major.

Since I have both a niece and nephew who are NC State alums, I'll go with rooting for them. 🎉

NC State is not an example of a P5 with a losing conference record taking an invite away from a mid-major. NC State won the ACC automatic qualifier by winning the ACC Tournament. No different than any mid-major conference tournament winner that did not win the regular season.

Now, if you want to talk about a P5 school possibly taking a bid from a mid-major, then let's talk UVa. Indiana State has more than proven they should have been in the NCAA Tournament and UVa more than proved they should not have.

So slightly off topic.....

Tennessee WBB fired their Head Coach Kellie Harper today after 5 seasons.....

She was 108-51 in 5 seasons.
Made 4 NCAA Tourneys (woulda made the Tourney in 2020)
2 Sweet 16 Appearances (2022 & 2023)
Won at least 1 NCAA Tourney in all 4 appearances

And this year.... Her last 2 losses were to NC State (who is now in the Final 4) and #1 South Carolina on a last second Buzzer beater bank shot 3 in the SEC Championship game. (Also in the Final 4)

All because they are rumored to be going after Kara Lawson (currently the Duke Head Coach... and Tennessee Alum).

I get trying to make a big splash hire..... but good lord. It's not like Kellie Harper tanked the program. To fire her after that solid resume, especially when shes gotta contend with South Carolina & LSU.... to me that's ridiculous when she more than held her own.

She didn't take Tennessee to the Final Four. That's why she got fired.

She didn't take Tennessee to the Final Four. That's why she got fired.
If Warlock, a former Tennessee player, was fired after 7 seasons (172-67 record) and 7 NCAA Tournament appearances, then Harper was apparently fair game after going 108-52 in 5 seasons with 4 NCAA appearances (the "miss" was the Covid year of 2020).

That's two former Tennessee players fired after making every NCAA Tournament they could make. Two separate ADs made the decisions, too. It's hard to replace a legend like Pat Summitt.

If Warlock, a former Tennessee player, was fired after 7 seasons (172-67 record) and 7 NCAA Tournament appearances, then Harper was apparently fair game after going 108-52 in 5 seasons with 4 NCAA appearances (the "miss" was the Covid year of 2020).

That's two former Tennessee players fired after making every NCAA Tournament they could make. Two separate ADs made the decisions, too. It's hard to replace a legend like Pat Summitt.

Harper never got them past the Sweet 16, and Tennessee bowed out in the second round twice under her helm. Warlick never made it past the second round the last three years she was the head coach. Tennessee also finished tied for 8th in the regular season her last year at Tennessee. She did make the Elite Eight three of her first 4 years, but I'm sure she also benefited from Summit's recruiting classes during that time. The program went in the wrong direction after her first fours years at Tennessee. That's not going to cut it at Tennessee.

FUT. The only good thing to come out of there was Bruce Pearl and that's not saying much.

So slightly off topic.....

Tennessee WBB fired their Head Coach Kellie Harper today after 5 seasons.....

She was 108-51 in 5 seasons.
Made 4 NCAA Tourneys (woulda made the Tourney in 2020)
2 Sweet 16 Appearances (2022 & 2023)
Won at least 1 NCAA Tourney in all 4 appearances

And this year.... Her last 2 losses were to NC State (who is now in the Final 4) and #1 South Carolina on a last second Buzzer beater bank shot 3 in the SEC Championship game. (Also in the Final 4)

All because they are rumored to be going after Kara Lawson (currently the Duke Head Coach... and Tennessee Alum).

I get trying to make a big splash hire..... but good lord. It's not like Kellie Harper tanked the program. To fire her after that solid resume, especially when shes gotta contend with South Carolina & LSU.... to me that's ridiculous when she more than held her own.
While I know many schools would be thrilled with those results, remember Tennessee was the team that began the popularity of women's basketball in this modern era. Pat Summit is a legend and they have a fan base that expects every coach to live up to her example.

That said, I hope Kellie Harper lands in a good place, she certainly deserves it.

So, based on our conversation from a year ago, if you were a Tennessee fan you think you would've been fine with their coach's performance and would've lobbied to retain her?

NC State is not an example of a P5 with a losing conference record taking an invite away from a mid-major. NC State won the ACC automatic qualifier by winning the ACC Tournament. No different than any mid-major conference tournament winner that did not win the regular season.

Now, if you want to talk about a P5 school possibly taking a bid from a mid-major, then let's talk UVa. Indiana State has more than proven they should have been in the NCAA Tournament and UVa more than proved they should not have.
I understand- there's no doubt that winning the ACC Tournament is absolutely earning their place in the dance. I just worry a bit that their success in the NCAA tourney lends credence to the idea that any P5 school, regardless of conference record, is still "better" than a mid-major with an excellent W/L record.

Conference Tournament Champs should always get a bid.

Back