3 way tie ?

Just wondering...if we tie drexel and w&M at 11-7 for 4th, who gets 4th place ? W&M has beaten drexel twice so assuming we beat drexel, that would eliminate the dragons. We split with W&M. They lost to ODU twice and at worse we split with the monarchs so if ODU finishes first we get the 4th seed is that right ? W&M beat NE in the only meeting so if the huskies finish first then w&M gets the 4th seed ?

what if Odu and NE tie for first ? NE won the only meeting so i guess they would get the #1 seed but does that affect the seeding for the other teams ?

I think its a moot point. I believe odu will win out and finish 15-3 and i believe northeastern will lose at mason on the last day of the regular season so odu would win it outright.

We still have a good shot at finishing 4th under this scenario but we have to win out to control our own destiny. If we lose at odu we need help to finish 4th.

wavevcu said:
Just wondering...if we tie drexel and w&M at 11-7 for 4th, who gets 4th place ?

First tiebreaker:

4. W&M 3-1 vs. Drexel and VCU
5t. Drexel 1-2 vs. W&M and VCU
5t. VCU 1-2 vs. W&M and Drexel

Second tiebreaker:

5. Drexel 1-0 vs. VCU
6. VCU 0-1 vs. Drexel

This, however, won't be the case since we play them again on Tuesday... it will be either:

4. W&M 3-1
5. VCU 2-2
6. Drexel 1-3

OR

4. W&M 3-1
5. Drexel 2-2
6. VCU 1-3

It all depends on the top 2 standings when the regular season is done. If it's 1. ODU 2. NU then it would be 4. VCU 5. Drexel 6. William and Mary. VCU would be 4th becuase VCU will split or sweep ODU, dependning on what happens when we play at ODU while Drexel only played ODU once and lost and William and Mary lost twice to ODU.

If it's 1. NU 2. ODU then it would be 4. Drexel because they beat NU twice, then 5th would be William and Mary because they beat NU once at home and 6. would be VCU because we lost to NU twice.

So who finishes 1st and who could finish 2nd could be crucial to the seeding VCU gets. There aren't a lot of games left but still some crazy things that can happen. Just like vcubanana says vcu needs to "JUST WIN".

vcubballfan1 said:
It all depends on the top 2 standings when the regular season is done. If it's 1. ODU 2. NU then it would be 4. VCU 5. Drexel 6. William and Mary. VCU would be 4th becuase VCU will split or sweep ODU, dependning on what happens when we play at ODU while Drexel only played ODU once and lost and William and Mary lost twice to ODU.

If it's 1. NU 2. ODU then it would be 4. Drexel because they beat NU twice, then 5th would be William and Mary because they beat NU once at home and 6. would be VCU because we lost to NU twice.

So who finishes 1st and who could finish 2nd could be crucial to the seeding VCU gets. There aren't a lot of games left but still some crazy things that can happen. Just like vcubanana says vcu needs to "JUST WIN".

I hate to call people out, but the first tiebreaker actually goes to the combined record against each other of the teams in a tie. Meaning William & Mary is 2-0 vs. Drexel and 1-1 vs. VCU so they will automatically get the higher seed. VCU and Drexel all depends on the verdict on Tuesday. Right now, we are 0-1 vs. Drexel. Hopefully, that changes to 1-1 making us the 5 seed if we all three tie for 4th place.

What you are referring to is if say there's a two way tie between William & Mary and VCU. Since the tiebreaker can't be decided head-to-head, the next tiebreaker is the record vs. the highest ranked team starting at the top and going down until the tiebreaker is resolved.

Correcting someone isn't calling them out. I think you just like calling people out! :D

Yeah, don't think you are calling someone out when you are correcting them. In a 3 way tie they first go head to head. If we beat Drexel tomorrow then we would split the series and then it would go to how you did against the top teams which still will depend on who finishes 1st and who finishes 2nd.

There are a lot of different situations that can play out so there's nothing we can do except sit back, cheer on the rams, and see what happens.

vcubballfan1 said:
Yeah, don't think you are calling someone out when you are correcting them. In a 3 way tie they first go head to head. If we beat Drexel tomorrow then we would split the series and then it would go to how you did against the top teams which still will depend on who finishes 1st and who finishes 2nd.

There are a lot of different situations that can play out so there's nothing we can do except sit back, cheer on the rams, and see what happens.

You ALMOST got it... but if it's W&M, VCU, and Drexel it really won't matter who is in 1st place like you are saying. W&M will get the top seed of the three and whoever wins tonight will get the next seed.

2. Three or more tied teams:
a) Head to head competition as determined by the combined record of games among the tied teams involved. Ties will be broken and seeds will be based on the winning percentage of games amongst the tied teams, even if the number of games played against the group is unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1; 1-0 is the same as 2-0; 2-0 is the same as 4-0; 2-1 is the same as 4-2; 1-0 is better than 1-1; 0-1 is the same as 0-2; 0-2 is the same as 0-4).
b) If procedure 2a fails to break the tie, then each tied team’s record shall be compared to the team occupying the highest position in the standings, continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage by a higher winning percentage as described in 2a.
c) If the tie is broken by 2a or 2b regarding one or more teams, but three or more teams remain tied, then procedures 2a and 2b will be re-applied among those tied teams only. If two teams remain tied, revert to the two-tied team procedure.
d) If a tie still exists, the Ratings Percentage Index, as computed from the RPI Report by 9:00 AM, on the day following the last scheduled conference game, will be used to break the tie. The team with the better RPI will earn the higher seed.

Pointless conjectures, since both WM and Drexel will lose tonight, so we'll all be tied again.

On the last day of the regular season, VCU will beat ODU, Drexel will lose at JMU and William and Mary will lose at the Dub.

Even if WM doesn't lose that game, we're still not losing again until deep into March, so it'll be just fine.

Yeah, it looks like too much would have to happen for use to get a top 4 seed at this point. We could still take the 5th seed, but that is not nearly as important. Looks like we are just going to have to make history and win 4 games in the Coliseum.

There is always next year... No shame in loosing the greatest of all time and being middle of the pack next year. We got a good group of seniors for next year.

RamLifer said:
There is always next year... No shame in loosing the greatest of all time and being middle of the pack next year. We got a good group of seniors for next year.

There is also this year. The season doesn't end when the regular season does.

Then let's make history and win another darn championship!!

I've never heard so much crying and bellyaching in all my life!!

Wait, yes I have - every time we lose ...........

VCU Finance 2008 said:
RamLifer said:

There is also this year. The season doesn't end when the regular season does.

Yea but we aren't the best team in the conference. Honestly now, we can beat a team on a given day and we do have the athleticism to play hard on 4 straight days but our focus is what we lack. We are a great team that needs to have their hand held every time something goes bad. We do not have that person (E3) to stand up and stop runs against us. To just pull up in the lane drain a shot and stair into the souls of the other team and let them know they are weak.

Back