4 Weeks Remaining Awards

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
As of right now there are only 4 weeks remaining in the CAA schedule so here are my awards thus far.

Note: I am leaving JMU's Denzel Bowles off because he did not join the team until the 2nd semester. From past experience, I believe you have to play the whole season to recieve hardware. Does anyone know the restriction to this rule? Also, I have 6 players on 3rd team because the I believe 1 player from each team must be on 1st team, 2nd team, or 3rd team so it worked out that way.

First Team All-CAA:
Charles Jenkins HOF - 18.9 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 4.0 apg, 82% FT
Larry Sanders VCU - 15.8 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 2.7 bpg, 55% FG
David Schneider WM - 16.3 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 82% FT
Chaisson Allen NU - 14.0 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.87 apg, 46% 3PT
Gerald Lee ODU - 14.3 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 53% FG

2nd Team All-CAA
Matt Janning NU - 15.0 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 3.1 apg
Jawan Carter DEL - 17.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 5.0 apg
Julius Wells JMU - 16.9 ppg, 5.5 rpg
Cam Long GMU - 13.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.1 apg
Joey Rodriguez VCU - 11.3 ppg, 6.3 apg, 2.1 spg, 82% FT

3rd Team All-CAA
Quinn McDowell WM - 15.0 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 82% FT
Chad Tomko UNCW - 13.4 ppg, 4.7 apg, 82% FT
John Fields UNCW - 11.7 ppg, 9.7 rpg, 2.7 bpg, 54% FG
Jamie Harris DU - 14.7 ppg, 3.5 apg, 83% FT
Joe Dukes GSU - 13.7 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 3.2 apg
Calvin Lee TOW - 11.8 ppg, 6.0 rpg

All-Rookie Team
Chris Fouch DU - 10.0 ppg
Halil Kanacevic HOF - 8.5 ppg, 7.4 rpg
Chaz Williams HOF - 9.8 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.7 apg
Luke Hancock GMU - 7.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 51% FG
Darren White JMU - 9.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg

All-Defensive Team
Robert Nwanko TOW - 3.4 bpg
Larry Sanders VCU - 2.7 bpg
Greg Washington HOF - 2.7 bpg
Joey Rodriguez VCU - 2.1 spg
Charles Jenkins HOF 1.8 spg

Player Of The Year - Charles Jenkins HOF
Defensive Player of The Year - Larry Sanders VCU
Coach Of The Year - Tony SHaver W&M
Rookie Of The Year - Chris Fouch DU

I want to see some input. What do you guys think?

this should probably be in the CAA forum. either way, nice analysis. i agree with much of it.

I have 6 players on 3rd team because the I believe 1 player from each team must be on 1st team, 2nd team, or 3rd team so it worked out that way.

i've never heard of this being the case.

theyaintwantit said:
From past experience, I believe you have to play the whole season to recieve hardware. Does anyone know the restriction to this rule? Also, I have 6 players on 3rd team because the I believe 1 player from each team must be on 1st team, 2nd team, or 3rd team so it worked out that way.

Neither of these is true, fyi.

I agree with it for the most part except having john fields on the 2nd team and nwankwo on the 3rd team (depending how much he plays the rest of the season).

rollins77 said:
theyaintwantit said:
From past experience, I believe you have to play the whole season to recieve hardware. Does anyone know the restriction to this rule? Also, I have 6 players on 3rd team because the I believe 1 player from each team must be on 1st team, 2nd team, or 3rd team so it worked out that way.

Neither of these is true, fyi.

back in 05-06 Gary Neal of Towson transfered from Lasalle, he came in the middle of the year and averaging over 26 ppg, and recieved 2nd Team. in 06-07 he averaged 25 ppg n got First Team. with that said, I believe that Denzel Bowles deserves First Team recognition, but he will probabyly recieve 2nd Team voting because he joined JMU in the 2nd semester

buckwheat said:
this should probably be in the CAA forum. either way, nice analysis. i agree with much of it.

I have 6 players on 3rd team because the I believe 1 player from each team must be on 1st team, 2nd team, or 3rd team so it worked out that way.

i've never heard of this being the case.

I believe you are right. It just seems as if every year, one player recieves votes for 1st Team, 2nd Team, or 3rd Team. In 07-08 and 08-09 there were 6 players voted towards 3rd Team so I am right on that part.

Not sure who I would give it to, but I don't think Larry is the defensive player of the year.

Mistachill said:
Not sure who I would give it to, but I don't think Larry is the defensive player of the year.

In know what you are saying. I think it is more of his name within the CAA that he is a great defender. Yeah he blocks 2.7 shots per game, and alters a lot as well, but I am not sure if he is deserving over some of the others. Manny Adako toasted him at The Stu so... He can prove that he deserves Defensive Player of The Year down the stretch though.

I definetly agree that Larry Sanders is not the DPOY. Although he has been playing really well for us as of late offensivly, his defense has been subpar. He is a post players dream at times... defending flatfooted and he halfheartedy attempts to defend the post. He plays like he has 4 fouls the whole game now. I will give him credit though he did turn it up quite a bit in the last couple of minutes the other night, but as a whole I think he is the 3rd or 4th best defender on the team right now, which is quite the drop off from last year in that was his strong suit.

Emoney said:
He plays like he has 4 fouls the whole game now.

It might just be my imagination (and I do have a good one), but it seems like whenever he commits a foul he takes a seat even if its first or second. He might be a bit gun shy in the post because he doesnt want to draw the foul then get called to the bench.

I would hope he would be more aggressive under there and hopefully come tourney time he turns it up 5 notches.

but as a whole I think he is the 3rd or 4th best defender on the team right now, which is quite the drop off from last year in that was his strong suit.

i can't imagine anyone's presence on defense being more important to the rams as that of big no. 1's. if you think there are honestly two or three more important defensive stoppers on this team, we must be watching different games.

larry may not be the CAA's best this year, but he's certainly the best on our squad.

I'd take Ed over Larry in a strictly man to man defender any day of the week. But Larry brings that presence guys think they have an open lane see Larry coming and back off and reset the offense or panic

greg3434 said:
Emoney said:
He plays like he has 4 fouls the whole game now.

It might just be my imagination (and I do have a good one), but it seems like whenever he commits a foul he takes a seat even if its first or second. He might be a bit gun shy in the post because he doesnt want to draw the foul then get called to the bench.

I would hope he would be more aggressive under there and hopefully come tourney time he turns it up 5 notches.

No doubt he is getting better about not fouling, but some of his defensive intensity has been sacrificed as a result. With what his is doing on offense is is more important then ever to keep him on the floor rather than taking a chance of him fouling out. I would like to see him turn the defensive intensity up a notch deep into the second half once it is clear that he won't foul out. It is tough coming off of the press though, the is a much higher chance of picking up a foul then getting a clean block when a guy is on the run. Sometimes Larry is better off to let the guy put the ball up and be ready to grab the rebound if it does not go in rather than taking a chance on getting a foul.

Guess you haven't noticed that people don't fear entering the paint against us like they used to. I've seen WAY TOO MANY times when Larry isn't even challenging shots.

buckwheat said:
but as a whole I think he is the 3rd or 4th best defender on the team right now, which is quite the drop off from last year in that was his strong suit.

i can't imagine anyone's presence on defense being more important to the rams as that of big no. 1's. if you think there are honestly two or three more important defensive stoppers on this team, we must be watching different games.

larry may not be the CAA's best this year, but he's certainly the best on our squad.

Your list is sound, but a 10-1 Mason team is going to have more than one player on the first three teams.

Guess you haven't noticed that people don't fear entering the paint against us like they used to. I've seen WAY TOO MANY times when Larry isn't even challenging shots.

weak. that's not where i was going with that and you know it.

i stated that sanders' presence on D is the most important to the rams, and that he's our best defender. i stand by that. if you disagree with my initial statement, please let me know who you think is more important in the rams defensive scheme.

?

Back