#804RamBall

vcurams

Elite Member
Insider
#newbeginnings

Thrilled about reopening the local recruiting pipeline … gonna need a bigger gym !!

Tired of seeing guys leave the area - been happening forever, dig it and onboard.

#fundamentals
#makingshots

I’m happy to (hopefully) be getting all of these guys, but the fact that they’re Richmonders doesn’t matter that much to me. I want really good players no matter where they are from.

I‘m also not sure this really opens up a Richmond pipeline. The only reason we’re getting most of these guys is because they haven’t had success at P5 level programs and they need a fresh start. This doesn’t mean that top 50 high school talent in the area are going to start coming here. Maybe it will and that would be great, but I don’t see that happening.

I'm enjoying what I've seen so far with the new Coach and all changes that go with it. Sure, the jury is still out. This event with the local guys I think is great.

It's a long time before the first tip off. It's going to be fun watching the team form and grow.

Might be wrong be we’ve signed one legit McDonalds AA - he was from 804 …

Don’t know why we weren’t all in with local AAU kids previously , but given paradigm shift caused by NIL and portal … its worthy strategy change given opportunity - IMO.

Ps - Kendrick was a bad man !!!

Might be wrong be we’ve signed one legit McDonalds AA - he was from 804 …

Don’t know why we weren’t all in with local AAU kids previously , but given paradigm shift caused by NIL and portal … its worthy strategy change given opportunity - IMO.

Ps - Kendrick was a bad man !!!
Was Marc Jackson as well?

I must admit that I don't pay all that much attention to the rosters of other schools... let alone the biographical details of those other rosters... but is it common for anyone (or at least high majors/higher midmajors) to have a lot of closely local talent? Seems like a coach (often not all that deeply local himself) might be motivated to avoid locals, to lessen the ease and degree of local interference with 'his' players... a little harder to make it a cult of personality.

But maybe I'm overthinking it.

I see that and it’s crossed my mind too. one possible mitigating factor is these guys minus Fats have spent time elsewhere and have bigger perspectives on the whole thing.
will be interesting to see play out if it all happens!

o
I must admit that I don't pay all that much attention to the rosters of other schools... let alone the biographical details of those other rosters... but is it common for anyone (or at least high majors/higher midmajors) to have a lot of closely local talent? Seems like a coach (often not all that deeply local himself) might be motivated to avoid locals, to lessen the ease and degree of local interference with 'his' players... a little harder to make it a cult of personality.

But maybe I'm overthinking it.
overthinking imo. slu has a ton of locals for example. also other schools like wisconsin recruit very heavy locally.

Last edited:
o

overthinking imo. slu has a ton of locals for example. also other schools like wisconsin recruit very heavily locally.
Lotta distractions in one’s home town. Old girlfriends. Buddies with bad habits. Also, people know your dirty laundry, and your family’s stuff. Getting away from home can be a good thing. Of course these players have been there done that, so …

I know we usually have some locals, just not a big group all at once... could tip a threshold and form a group dynamic not entirely based on the coach... which could be a good thing for the school/program

Back