A brief history lesson

Pavarotti

Nation Donor
Insider
Okay people. Time to calm down, take a deep breath (or if you're not ready, ignore this thread and come back after your hangover tomorrow starts to wear off).

VCU basketball is never as great as everybody says when we win, and never as bad as everyone says when we lose. We've been here before, losses (even embarrassing ones) happen.

Examples:
2/4/09 @UNCW 81 VCU 72
12/30/06 Appy St 73 @VCU 70
1/14/04 @UNCW 72 VCU 52

The next game:
2/7/09 @VCU 76 WM 54
1/3/07 VCU 74 @Towson 70
1/17/04 @VCU 80 Mason 54

And those were in our NCAA seasons. That doesn't even include the Van game (we beat Towson 82-47 the next game), losing at home to JMU in '05 (we beat ODU the next game), or losing to Hampton in '07 (we beat Maryland the next game).

I'm not saying that we should all start drinking kool-aid, and hold hands with Joey singing Kumbayah. However, the sun shines after a storm, just like clouds can roll through a blue sky. We weren't a great team after beating Buffoon-Cookman, and we're not a horrible team after losing to Western Michigan. We're just a team, 2 games in, with no identity. Give it some time.

Haven't we lost like 4 straight road openers? Why is everyone making this out to be the end of the season?

Edit: 4 out of the last 5. This isn't a new trend.

Yup, this isn't anything we haven't seen before. Now, I'm not sure we've lost this spectacularly before, but we've lost plenty of road openers before.

I suppose I could always quote Mack "Let's win a couple on the road" McCarthy.

If you look at our early season games we will be darn lucky to be 5-5 considering the opposition and some of the issues we have right now.

ShoeSh1ne said:
Haven't we lost like 4 straight road openers? Why is everyone making this out to be the end of the season?

Edit: 4 out of the last 5. This isn't a new trend.
It was the end of all of those season's as well, you just have to follow the boards a little closer. It is never a very optimistic place to be 1 hour after an early season OOC loss.

Pavarotti said:
Yup, this isn't anything we haven't seen before. Now, I'm not sure we've lost this spectacularly before, but we've lost plenty of road openers before.

I suppose I could always quote Mack "Let's win a couple on the road" McCarthy.

You were doing great, Pav, until you began quoting Mack!

Rambunctious said:
If you look at our early season games we will be darn lucky to be 5-5 considering the opposition and some of the issues we have right now.

And last year we started 3-3, losing to a really crappy East Carolina team. In 2008, we started 3-3, losing by 9 at Hampton. Everyone thought the sky was falling after both of those losses as well. Friggin' East Carolina put 93 points on the board against us.

Not worried that we lost...worried how we lost.

-Poor D
-Terrible shot selection
-No post play

With all due respect to WMU and BCU, those are games a true 1st round draft pick should be padding his stats against.

Up next...

1) #16 Oklahoma (beat us last year)
2) @ Hampton (lost by like 9 or 11 last time we played there 2 years ago)
3) Nevada (beat us last year)
4) Rhode Island (beat us last year)
5) @ William & Mary
6) Richmond

That is as tough a stretch as this team has seen in a loooooong time.

Mat good post. If we lost a close one, fine...we go on, we learn. We got spanked. darn it! If I was Coach Smart these guys would be running in this rain until they vomitted. Im serious, a vcu team without heart? I am sickened!

A team without good chemistry....a real problem to overcome...Smart has his hands full

Back