League A10 Basketball: news and discourse around the league

14 teams is not going to cut it in the current environment in college sports. The A-10 needs to be at 16 teams. Losing UMass is going to hurt the A-10's NET ranking. Frank Martin has UMass trending in the right direction. They currently have the 5th highest NET ranking of all A-10 teams at #86. If we were talking about La Salle or Fordham leaving, it would be a different story, but we're not.

The A-10 needs to be selective in adding two teams, preferably from the Midwest/South. I am still a huge proponent of the A-10 going after Wichita State. They may be down right now, but have a huge basketball rich history and are committed to funding men's basketball. I also think Drake would be a nice addition, and both schools would give the A-10 a very nice Midwest presence complimenting SLU, Dayton and Loyola - Chicago. In addition, I also think College of Charleston would add value to the A-10.

For anyone who is wondering how the A10 adds new teams, it's worth giving a listen to this episode of A10 Insider podcast, which features an interview with Bernie McGlade. She talks for a bit about how the A10 tries to keep the process streamlined so there isn't a two or three year discussion of a new program joining the league, but rather they can move quickly.

14 teams is not going to cut it in the current environment in college sports. The A-10 needs to be at 16 teams. Losing UMass is going to hurt the A-10's NET ranking. Frank Martin has UMass trending in the right direction. They currently have the 5th highest NET ranking of all A-10 teams at #86. If we were talking about La Salle or Fordham leaving, it would be a different story, but we're not.

The A-10 needs to be selective in adding two teams, preferably from the Midwest/South. I am still a huge proponent of the A-10 going after Wichita State. They may be down right now, but have a huge basketball rich history and are committed to funding men's basketball. I also think Drake would be a nice addition, and both schools would give the A-10 a very nice Midwest presence complimenting SLU, Dayton and Loyola - Chicago. In addition, I also think College of Charleston would add value to the A-10.
We lost UMass. UMass Lowell is closer to Boston than Amherst and UMass.

Does Bernie want schools in larger markets?

Oakland. UMass Lowell, Belmont.

I can't get fired up about Wichita

I think I am supposed to care about UMass leaving the A10, yet I just shrug my shoulders. UMass means little to the A10, with over a decade of garbage teams.

I think the A10 can bring in a much better replacement.

I'm glad VCU never jumped on the football train. Selfishly, I like basketball a lot more than football, and basketball usually takes a backseat to football. Also it's tough to be good at both. And nobody wants to be ODU.
Nobody.

When the UAB's and the USF's and the UNCC's got football that was our window to do the football. Seems like the City of Richmond govt put a nix on it from the get go.

Why would Drake want to leave The Valley? Why would the A10 add them? No sustained success and all the way out in Iowa.

Adding teams for the sake of adding teams is what got the A10 in the mess we are in now.

Fortunately for us. But didn't we try to buy city stadium? Anyhow, we missed the window and I'm OK with that. Because we are a Tennis school.

I would go for adding CoC and Wichita St, bringing us to 16 teams. But not sure Wichita is interested. The A10 would be outside region. At least in the AAC they have more regional type games and a high brand name team with Memphis still in the conference. In the A10 it would be Loyola and SLU but not much else regionally. Are they still getting Koch money?
For CoC it would be similar to their CAA game and travel schedule except for SLU, Loyola and Dayton as far as traveling west. And they have had a decent overall basketball history. And they would make a good travel partner for Davidson
Who else?

I would go for adding CoC and Wichita St, bringing us to 16 teams. But not sure Wichita is interested. The A10 would be outside region. At least in the AAC they have more regional type games and a high brand name team with Memphis still in the conference. In the A10 it would be Loyola and SLU but not much else regionally. Are they still getting Koch money?
For CoC it would be similar to their CAA game and travel schedule except for SLU, Loyola and Dayton as far as traveling west. And they have had a decent overall basketball history. And they would make a good travel partner for Davidson
Who else?
Wichita has fallen a LONG way from its glory days. I don't think they would benefit us much.

Someone on Twitter suggested Drake, and honestly I don't hate that idea. They're good in basketball and have had success in multiple sports. They also fit well with SLU, Loyola, and Dayton. Des Moines really isn't that much further away.

Charleston and Belmont are still my favorite candidates, though I'm cautious about Charleston since I think Pat Kelsey is not far from getting a good P5 job offer.

I'm glad VCU never jumped on the football train. Selfishly, I like basketball a lot more than football, and basketball usually takes a backseat to football. Also it's tough to be good at both. And nobody wants to be ODU.
Selfishly, I love football. But we would NEVER be competitive in the modern football landscape. And who cares if you suck? So it's a really bad idea. I root for Virginia Tech football because of my family instead.

Losing Umass isn't going to hurt the A10s NET and 14 teams is more than viable. This UMass' only top 100 performance in the last decade.

Back