League A10 Basketball: news and discourse around the league

The Big East's contract with Fox Sports expires in summer 2025, so frankly the league can backfill with whoever they want once we're gone.
True. Bernie should be making plans for that now.

The Big East's contract with Fox Sports expires in summer 2025, so frankly the league can backfill with whoever they want once we're gone.
Fox is gonna go to bat for VCU and Dayton? Cuz we know Georgetown will fight to the death to keep us out

Lobbying Fox directly has more upside than lobbying the BE.
Totally agree but has Fox shown any interest in either school for expansion? Thats the million dollar question. Theres not a doubt in my mind Dayton and VCU would become forces in the BE after the initial bumps but the question is if Fox sees that potential because the BE doesn’t

Totally agree but has Fox shown any interest in either school for expansion? Thats the million dollar question. Theres not a doubt in my mind Dayton and VCU would become forces in the BE after the initial bumps but the question is if Fox sees that potential because the BE doesn’t
Publicly, I don't know. If I were VCU and Dayton, I would be making the pitch. Somewhere on the internet yesterday as part of the UMASS new, someone indicated the A10 would be a shell of itself in the near future for whatever that means or is worth. The thing that always sticks in my mind is for VCU to not be in the same situation we were in the days of the Metro Conference.

Publicly, I don't know. If I were VCU and Dayton, I would be making the pitch. Somewhere on the internet yesterday as part of the UMASS new, someone indicated the A10 would be a shell of itself in the near future for whatever that means or is worth. The thing that always sticks in my mind is for VCU to not be in the same situation we were in the days of the Metro Conference.
It's possible. For as bad as the MAC is compared to the A10 in basketball, they have a pretty good TV deal with ESPN for football and I guess UMass is looking for some of that money despite their football program being a better fit for the MEAC than the MAC.

Fox is gonna go to bat for VCU and Dayton? Cuz we know Georgetown will fight to the death to keep us out
I don't think Georgetown has that visceral reaction to us. We're about 100 miles away.
Seton Hall is less than 18 miles from Saint John's, less than 65 miles from UConn, and less than 90 from Villanova. That's just the nature of the East Coast. IMO were far enough away to spur interest without stepping on their toes. UD is less than 50 miles from Xavier in the Midwest which feels significantly shorter. The real metric should be the number of people between universities.

I don't think Georgetown has that visceral reaction to us. We're about 100 miles away.
Seton Hall is less than 18 miles from Saint John's, less than 65 miles from UConn, and less than 90 from Villanova. That's just the nature of the East Coast. IMO were far enough away to spur interest without stepping on their toes. UD is less than 50 miles from Xavier in the Midwest which feels significantly shorter. The real metric should be the number of people between universities.
Ten years ago I think maybe they did. Not so sure about now.

Ultimately, content is king - if Fox thinks we'd provide good (i.e. more) content, it's pretty likely the BE gets a new member or two.

14 teams is not going to cut it in the current environment in college sports. The A-10 needs to be at 16 teams. Losing UMass is going to hurt the A-10's NET ranking. Frank Martin has UMass trending in the right direction. They currently have the 5th highest NET ranking of all A-10 teams at #86. If we were talking about La Salle or Fordham leaving, it would be a different story, but we're not.

The A-10 needs to be selective in adding two teams, preferably from the Midwest/South. I am still a huge proponent of the A-10 going after Wichita State. They may be down right now, but have a huge basketball rich history and are committed to funding men's basketball. I also think Drake would be a nice addition, and both schools would give the A-10 a very nice Midwest presence complimenting SLU, Dayton and Loyola - Chicago. In addition, I also think College of Charleston would add value to the A-10.
I agree that it appears that Frank Martin is turning around UMass, but they were IRRELEVANT from 2014-2015 thru 2022-2023. Let's not act like this is a huge loss for the A10.

Ten years ago I think maybe they did. Not so sure about now.

Ultimately, content is king - if Fox thinks we'd provide good (i.e. more) content, it's pretty likely the BE gets a new member or two.

Agree, college bball isn't nearly as "regional" as it used to be. Especially with transfers the way they are, it's more of a yearly clearing house.

I think those old beefs and unwritten rules about where you can recruit have gone the way of, well....all those old a$$ coaches that are retiring every year. I could see Xavier pitching a fit about Dayton....but UD and VCU would add competitive programs, regional cable/streaming markets and make a whole lotta $en$e.

Which is why it'll never happen :lol:

As for UMass?? Founding member who hasn't added much value, so we're not losing much.

Agree, college bball isn't nearly as "regional" as it used to be. Especially with transfers the way they are, it's more of a yearly clearing house.

I think those old beefs and unwritten rules about where you can recruit have gone the way of, well....all those old a$$ coaches that are retiring every year. I could see Xavier pitching a fit about Dayton....but UD and VCU would add competitive programs, regional cable/streaming markets and make a whole lotta $en$e.

Which is why it'll never happen :lol:

As for UMass?? Founding member who hasn't added much value, so we're not losing much.
Dayton is a better institutional fit than we are, but I really think the Marianist vs Jesuit thing puts them in an equal - and maybe worse - position than we are, which is kind of wild. Ultimately I think we both make the jump but X is pissed.

I agree that it appears that Frank Martin is turning around UMass, but they were IRRELEVANT from 2014-2015 thru 2022-2023. Let's not act like this is a huge loss for the A10.

UMass has been irrelevant since the late 90s. They've had a couple of good seasons in the 2010's but nobody cared then and even less people care now.

We lost UMass. UMass Lowell is closer to Boston than Amherst and UMass.

Does Bernie want schools in larger markets?

Oakland. UMass Lowell, Belmont.

I can't get fired up about Wichita

The A-10 needs teams that can compete nationally and help restore the conference's NET rating. Wichita State can definitely do that with the right coach. They have a deep history of success in basketball. The A-10 is currently in enough major markets for exposure. Now they need to deliver a competitive product, regardless of school location. Wichita State, Drake and College of Charleston all fit that criteria. Oakland, UMass Lowell and to an extent Belmont are not going to improve the A-10 from a competitive standpoint.

Back