Allen Payne - Visiting on 9/26 & VCU leads his recruiting

http://rivals.yahoo.com/bwi/basketball/ ... ayne-68257

Payne's recruitment is starting to heat up. He is getting interest from the Big 10, SEC, Big East, A10, Big 12, CAA and others.

We often say we want to score a sleeper and Payne fits the bill. We need to get him to commit this weekend before some of the bigs swoop in after they lose out on some of their current targets, i.e. Florida, who only has one commit and losing out on top prospects left and right.

I still think Bradley is the buzz of our 2010 class. We sign him and everyone will forget about Lee, Lulanne, etc......

If you're on campus definitely show Allen Payne some love if you see him. Perhaps he can become a young Nick George (freshman and sophomore years) type of player for us, undersized, athletic power forward who can still get it done. I've seen it reported twice that he's really interested in VCU and apparently he's pretty talented, though not the big we're all dying for VCU to sign.

Well scout has him at 6'7...so he probably could be a good PF at the CAA level with a 3 skill set. We would need Larry to stick around for his senior year though as we'd be pretty thin on the inside (Saintil and Hinton). If Bradley's out, this guy seems to be the real deal and he has us as his top choice, so I say grab him if we can. Not every day a guy with an ESPN 90 grade comes along with VCU as his favorite school.

I still think Lulane is in the picture. Unfortunately we may have hurt ourselves with Basabe flirting with the other bigs.

Mistachill said:
I still think Lulane is in the picture. Unfortunately we may have hurt ourselves with Basabe flirting with the other bigs.

I have a gut feeling Basabe is headed to Siena.

Mistachill said:

yeah it sounded like we gave him the other woman treatment....I don't think Lulane is coming here but I'm holding out for Lee...This class will be kind of a disapointment (initially) if we don't land one of those guys..good to see Smart and co are going after the low hanging fruit still though

I agree.

districtballer said:
Mistachill said:

I have a gut feeling Basabe is headed to Siena.

Mercury said:
Mistachill said:

yeah it sounded like we gave him the other woman treatment....I don't think Lulane is coming here but I'm holding out for Lee...This class will be kind of a disapointment (initially) if we don't land one of those guys..good to see Smart and co are going after the low hanging fruit still though

I believe Lee already ruled out VCU. He is no longer interested in coming here.

So DB what is the general consensus in where we went wrong with these guys? Worries of coach leaving? just not being a big enough program? Lack of a true campus?

Bradley has me completely puzzled. It seems like he's not really that interested in BC, but he may be getting advice from people that see the ACC banner and lost sight of everything else. It's telling the he said he might visit, that he's not sure about it, and that they don't have what he's looking for. It's also telling that he set up his visit with them for the same date he was supposed to visit with us. Maybe someone convinced him to bump us off the list. Or this could all just be nonsense and he simply rescheduled. I honestly don't know.

I have no reason to think that Basabe is going anywhere else except for the reason that he wasn't our top target. Siena has been on top of him (I believe they offered him first) and are courting him like we were courting Harris and are/were? Bradley. I have to think he noticed that.

Lee ruled us out, not sure why.

Lulane knows a bunch of guys on our team. You could say they are friends. Seems like we have a great shot at him, but Justin Young said UMass is the team to beat, not sure why, but I think he's still very much on the radar for VCU. Would be a nice pick-up for us.

Payne strikes me kind of like Brandenburg, a guy that liked VCU from the get-go and had us as the favorite coming into his visit. I have hunch we hear some news this weekend.

Mercury, hope you don't mind me throwing my $.02 in:

This is exactly the scenario I envisioned when Grant left and Norwood replaced him with another young, upwardly-mobile Florida assistant. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure that opposing coaches were going to immediately pounce on the opportunity to go negative against us in recruiting -- you can just hear them telling recruits "Grant didn't stay at VCU until his first recruiting class graduated. Do you want to take that chance with Smart?"

Having dealt with thousands of high school basketball players over the last 20 years, I can't see the campus or anything else being a factor in this process. As we've seen, the vast majority of kids choose a coach first and a school second, and our rookie head coach has no built-in credibility to assure the 17- and 18-year-olds he's recruiting that he'll still be here by the time they're seniors.

Look at Smart's resume. He's never spent more than three seasons at one school. Kids (and parents) pay attention to that stuff and they know if he has the same kind of success Grant had, the BCS schools are going to come calling for him, too.

AG_fan said:
Mercury, hope you don't mind me throwing my $.02 in:

This is exactly the scenario I envisioned when Grant left and Norwood replaced him with another young, upwardly-mobile Florida assistant. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure that opposing coaches were going to immediately pounce on the opportunity to go negative against us in recruiting -- you can just hear them telling recruits "Grant didn't stay at VCU until his first recruiting class graduated. Do you want to take that chance with Smart?"

Having dealt with thousands of high school basketball players over the last 20 years, I can't see the campus or anything else being a factor in this process. As we've seen, the vast majority of kids choose a coach first and a school second, and our rookie head coach has no built-in credibility to assure the 17- and 18-year-olds he's recruiting that he'll still be here by the time they're seniors.

Look at Smart's resume. He's never spent more than three seasons at one school. Kids (and parents) pay attention to that stuff and they know if he has the same kind of success Grant had, the BCS schools are going to come calling for him, too.

I don't mind lol and I figured thats what it is..I don't expect Smart to be around much longer, just hope he leaves the program in better shape than he got it in.My money is on Mike Rhoades being the HC that becomes the long term face of the program.

That's smart money you've got there, Mercury -- no pun intended.

Rhoades is the real deal, and he's already proven he can beat Mason :lol:

Back