Analysis of other CAA recruiting classes

districtballer

Elite Member
So I thought we could go over some of the recruiting going on in the CAA. It's been a banner year of sorts for our conference as far as recruiting goes. We are on a noticeable upward trend with regards to the level of player we are recruiting as well as the programs they are coming from. Lots of great recruits all over the conference. It bodes well for the future of the conference and should help us in the future by giving us a more rigorous in conference schedule to prepare for post-season play. Over the next couple of days I will outline the classes coming into the CAA so far. I think it's nice to be aware of what other schools have coming in to see where we stand as a conference and how we compare within it. The Delaware Blue Hens will be first up shortly.

can I do Northeastern? It won't take me long to analyze them because they have signed NOBODY!

Delaware:

The Delaware Blue Hens have put together a solid 4 person class for the 2009 recruiting year. It is headlined by Aberdeen, MD shooting guard Devon Saddler. Saddler is a strong 6'2 guard who thrives on driving to the basket. He has a wide array of spin moves and has great speed and above average athleticism for the CAA.
devonsaddler-350.jpg

Devon Saddler
His perimeter shooting is not all there yet, but he has enough speed and inside game to be an impact player for the Blue Hens next year. Playing behind Alphonso Dawson and Jawan Carter at the 2 spot, he will likely not be a starter from the get-go. He will be a valuable player of the bench and should be a regular rotation player. I think he has the intangibles to take a starting spot towards the later half of the season as he has tremendous work ethic. He will be a very good guard in the backcourt for the Blue Hens.

The second recruit is Malcolm Hawkins who hails from our own state and plays in the 757. In fact Hawkins has played against Theus in high school and the two are quite familiar with each other.
MalcolmHawkinsProfile.jpg

Malcolm Hawkins

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/02/basketball-norcom-boys-lake-taylor-girls-win
Here is the link to a recap of their game which Theus' team won handily. Hawkins is similar in build to Bradford Burgess in that he is a 6'5-6'6 wing who can also play the 2. He has a fairly nice touch from 3 point land will present a matchup problem for a lot of 2 guards in the CAA. He is also fairly adept at getting to the rim and can finish with both hands well. He had a couple of A-10 schools looking at him at one point and he should be a contributor at Delaware. While not an impact player from the outset, by his junior year he should have starting potential.

Josh Brinkley is a local boy who hails from Douglas Freeman here in Richmond. Brinkley is a 6'6 PF who is very slim but has a nice bounce and has depended on his athleticism so far to dominate his high school competition. I don't see him being very effective at all on this level until he bulks up substantially. He's a bit of a project to me. I'm sure many in Richmond who follow high school basketball would agree with me. He's played at the Siegel Center I believe a couple of times and failed to impress.

41635palmer.jpg

Keion Palmer
Keion Palmer is actually kind of scary. He reminds me a lot of Larry Sanders. He hails from the Miami area of Florida, is around 6'9 now, and has crazy length. He also is rail-thin with limited offensive skills. He is very bouncy and athletic and can move very well for a guy his size. His defense is further ahead than his offense at this point. I think we'll see him on the court for Delaware for that very reason. With Jim Ledsome and Egerson gone, Delaware sorely needs a big man to gather boards and anchor the defense. While slight of frame, his length will make him a tough guy to beat going to the basket. He sounds like a Larry-clone, I know. I think he could be very good in the CAA. That said, it all depends on how his frail frame holds up against CAA-level big men. He is EXTREMELY raw, but possesses some very nice physical abilities that with nurturing, could have him be very good and a staple of the frontcourt for the Blue Hens for years to come.

I do not fear other CAA recruiting classes, it can only help the conference. Just think of the boost if the CAA went 12-0 in the Bracket Busters. I know that this phrase has has been totaly trashed lately, but a rising tide does lift all boats unless they sink before high tide!

Nicely put. If the CAA continues to become a more challenging and balanced conference, it can only improve our rankings as a whole. Especially with three to four teams last season that were viable contenders for the regular season championship. NE was kind of a surprise, and if they (and GMU) had done better down the stretch who knows what may have happened. I wouldn't want to be like Memphis in the C-USA where a team has to go undefeated to get that level of attention (or that they are able to go undefeated because the competition is so weak, save for UAB.)

chrisbrower said:
can I do Northeastern? It won't take me long to analyze them because they have signed NOBODY!

I'm not going to elaborate too much but ask District Baller about Alwayne Bigby, VCU would love to have that kid right now. Bill Coen's style in terms of recruiting isn't flashy but he gets it done. While at BC he recruited Craig Smith and Shawne Williams two recruts that really weren't on people's radars and became stars really quickly. He hit an absolute HR with his first incoming class(Janning, Adako, Ink and Alverez), and his 2nd class has had one sure fire star in Chase Allen. His last two I think He's struggled with(lima Etherly, AA, etc) but I think Bigby and probably Dinko will get good minutes this year.

Doubt Coen all you want because his guys don't pop up on scout or rivals but everyone knows Coen can recruit just as well if not better then most in the CAA

redsoxn2004 said:
chrisbrower said:

I'm not going to elaborate too much but ask District Baller about Alwayne Bigby, VCU would love to have that kid right now. Bill Coen's style in terms of recruiting isn't flashy but he gets it done. While at BC he recruited Craig Smith and Shawne Williams two recruts that really weren't on people's radars and became stars really quickly. He hit an absolute HR with his first incoming class(Janning, Adako, Ink and Alverez), and his 2nd class has had one sure fire star in Chase Allen. His last two I think He's struggled with(lima Etherly, AA, etc) but I think Bigby and probably Dinko will get good minutes this year.

Doubt Coen all you want because his guys don't pop up on scout or rivals but everyone knows Coen can recruit just as well if not better then most in the CAA

Alwayne is nasty. He's going to be very good. I actually tipped off Coach Grant about him in December, but Grant never bothered to check him out. He is a great defensive guard with great athleticism. He's very similar to Chaisson Allen, but I think he will ultimately be better than him. Alwayne was the best player in Toronto last year, leading his team to the provincial championship at the highest classification (4A). Have no doubt, I would have been thrilled to see him coming to VCU. He's going to be one of those guys that everyone else in the CAA is going to be shaking their heads about and marvelling how Coen found him. He's a talent. Coen knows how to mine talent from unlikely sources, and he does it with probably the least to sell of the top tier CAA schools from a facilities/fanbase standpoint. He's doing a great job up there.

Heck of a class for Delaware, Palmer doesn't scare me just yet but I bet in about two years I will be regretting that statement.

Back