Are we underrating Darius Theus?

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
I think we'd all agree a lot of us have been really hoping for Ben or GJ to start at point guard next season...but if Darius Theus can handle the rock, I love having a 6'4 185 (he'll probably even beef up more this summer) handling the rock for us.

ESPN Scout grades

Theus (6'4, 185) - 89
Eblen (6'0, 175)- 87
Vilarino (5'11, 160) - 88

c'mon...we always over rate our guys!!!! ;)

I would like to know how we got him so quick if he is the player we hope he becomes.

You know, I usually dismiss ESPN recruting info, but after doing a little research, the guy doing the write up on Theus has a lot if credibility.

Paul Biancardi: http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-baskbl/spe ... 08aav.html

Prior to his one-year tenure as Majerus' assistant, Biancardi was the head coach at Wright State from 2003-04 through 2005-06. In 2004, he was selected the Horizon League Coach of the Year, a first for WSU. Biancardi recruited and coached Deshaun Wood the Horizon League Player of the Year. The Boston native spent six years as an assistant coach at Ohio State where he was named associate head coach in his final season, and was an assistant coach at Boston College for seven seasons. During the 1989-90 campaign, Biancardi was an assistant coachat Boston University. He also served as an assistant at Suffolk University and Salem State College. During his career, he has been toa Final Four, an Elite Eight and coached two Big Ten co-championships, a Big Ten Tournament title and a Big East Championship.

I know its been posted a million times, but given Paul Biancardi's background his evaluation of Theus is very encouraging.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiti ... son%3d2009

"Darius is a point guard who has excellent speed with the ball and can get into the lane at will," said Biancardi. "When he penetrates he can get to the basket and finish with a lay-up or pull up in the middle ramge and knock down jump shots between 12-15 feet. He has a tremendous knack for reading defenses and knowing when to go all the way to the rim or pulling up."

Theus' penetration is not his only strength, according to Biancardi."Although he's a set-up point guard who can create he can and will make open 3's, though he doesn't take a lot," he said. "He shoots at a high field goal percentage and is usually judicious in his attempts, but if you ask him to score he will."

Theus's athleticism also allows him to excel on the defensive end of the floor.

"Darius is a very good on-the-ball defender because of his quick hands," Biancardi continued. "He also has the toughness and attitude to fight through screens and always keep his man in front of him. He's also good at anticipating passes and coming up with steals."

Biancardi says that Smart has made nice splash with his first commitment.

"Darius is a winner. I.C. Norcom High in Portsmouth, Va., was 22-3 (13-1 in the league) in Class AAA, the largest public class in the state," he said. "He competes all the time and will immediately help the first year coach Smart on the court. It's an outstanding get for coach Shaka Smart who was a perfect fit to take over the reigns at VCU. Darius is a good teammate that other guys will enjoy playing with."

The question is are these his thoughts based on personal observation or just reprinting what he's heard from his high school coach and others?

I think the guy is legit. I have heard his name echoed multiple times and seen the highlights on the news since I am down in Va Beach.

However there is always a leap that must be made from High School to College Ball. A slow start is to be expected. I think with training he could be another Maynor for us. He causes plays to develop. He can see the floor moving and command his team where to go. His Basketball IQ is great. Handles I think are at times sloppy but we dealt with Joey (UCLA game need I say more).

I think your immediate starters will be Rozzell and Gavin. They have the D1 experience and work Darius into the mix. But I would not be surprised if by midseason you have a new line up on the floor. Consisting of Darius, Brandon, KP, Larry, and Skeen (Gavin and TJ playing the hot off the bench). Your beginning of the year starters will look more like Gavin, Brandon, KP, Larry, and TJ.

He will be fun to watch!

vchoo1 said:
I think the guy is legit. I have heard his name echoed multiple times and seen the highlights on the news since I am down in Va Beach.

However there is always a leap that must be made from High School to College Ball. A slow start is to be expected. I think with training he could be another Maynor for us. He causes plays to develop. He can see the floor moving and command his team where to go. His Basketball IQ is great. Handles I think are at times sloppy but we dealt with Joey (UCLA game need I say more).

I think your immediate starters will be Rozzell and Gavin. They have the D1 experience and work Darius into the mix. But I would not be surprised if by midseason you have a new line up on the floor. Consisting of Darius, Brandon, KP, Larry, and Skeen (Gavin and TJ playing the hot off the bench). Your beginning of the year starters will look more like Gavin, Brandon, KP, Larry, and TJ.

He will be fun to watch!

Several classier ODU fans I've talked to actually say we got a good one and don't look forward to playing against him. :)

On paper and based on Maynor's comment about him, he sounds like an excellent recruit for VCU. How well he does we will not know till he gets here and starts showing his abilities. Does anyone know if we are recruiting TT Cary from Colonial beach?

I must admit and I am very ashamed for this to be honest with you...when I wrote that post I did not even think of Burgess...Of course he would start. You must forgive me the forums serve as a much needed study break from law school exams.

I would love to see us pick up TT Cary, especially if we're projecting Theus to play the point. I don't get the impression we're after him very hard.

Mistachill said:
Really? His level of competition was that bad?

I certainly don't know many of the details, but about a month ago, that's all I could find. If I remember right, so far he's received letters from Lehigh and Randolph Macon and that's it.

Someone else might be able to fill in with better details. There isn't much information about the kid out there.

Back