Recruiting Armando Bacot:Closed

Actually I always felt that way.
Of course you did

It's ok we will try to forget your's and plethora of other's obsession with Bacot. Of course you were never turning red thinking about making his garbage top 5 list.

Lavar Batts could have gone to VCU and still ended up at UNC-A.
...or he could've come to VCU, certainly received more opportunities for playing time and be in a prime position to get the keys to the car as a sophomore, especially with the Evans injury.

...or he could've come to VCU, certainly received more opportunities for playing time and be in a prime position to get the keys to the car as a sophomore, especially with the Evans injury.

Of course but that isn’t the point. Most like to poke at how things ended at State and throw out “he should have come to vcu” like success at vcu was guaranteed. Let’s be real, Asheville is a long fall from State and levels below vcu even at our state.

Guys like him and Ben Eblen probably weren’t that good to begin with and the market found out with a quickness.

Of course but that isn’t the point. Most like to poke at how things ended at State and throw out “he should have come to vcu” like success at vcu was guaranteed. Let’s be real, Asheville is a long fall from State and levels below vcu even at our state.

Guys like him and Ben Eblen probably weren’t that good to begin with and the market found out with a quickness.
Except that we had a terrible PG and a useless back up last year. Batts would have gotten tons more opportunities just by being able to walk.

Of course you did

It's ok we will try to forget your's and plethora of other's obsession with Bacot. Of course you were never turning red thinking about making his garbage top 5 list.

Ram Cray,

I never gave Bacot's Top 5 list a second thought.

https://www.prephoops.com/2016/06/virginia-rankings-breakdown-2019-overview/

I've been following Wahab since We offered him last year. He absolutely no AAU footage yet the big 3 recruiting sites had him in the top 100.

After that, I found this article written 20 months ago by Jack Herron, the leading recruiting guru covering VA,

Battle of Bigs at the Top

"
The entire season we were debating about how the top spot of the 2019 class would come down to 6’8” Armando Bacot of Trinity Episcopal and 6’11” Qudus Wahab of Virginia Academy. As they time came to make the decision, Bacot got the slight nod over Wahab because of his advanced skill set and feel for the game at his age and size. Bacot has had a terrific spring, and he currently holds offers from UCF, VCU, JMU, Georgia Tech and Richmond.

While Bacot holds the edge now, Wahab’s ceiling is so high that he could catapult not just Bacot, but a number of players in the national rankings if he continues to develop the way we expect. Last weekend at Scouts Focus All American, Wahab showed aggression as he attacked the rim with ferocity, and he showed improvement as he worked with his back-to-the basket, and showed a soft touch on post moves and in the midrange."

Now, I live in NOVA, Wahab plays 2 miles from where I work. I've scene him play. After watching him for well over a year, I concur with Herron, Wahab is a very special talent that could end of being a lottery when it's all said in done.

Alas, I think our time is past. Wahab is visiting all 12 schools (7 unofficials, 5 OV's). His 7 unofficial visits are Temple, G'town, VCU, UCONN, Syracuse, Ohio State, and Pitt.

This means his 5 OV's will probably be (URI, LSU, Louisville, Miami, and Virginia Tech), they will all end up being on his final list.

Ironically, Wahab's school choice may end up effecting VCU more than Bacot's.

Can you imagine Will Wade and LSU coming to the Stu with Wahab as the starting Center? Worse yet, having to face him twice a year with URI?

Ram Cray,

I've been following Wahab since We offered him last year. He absolutely no AAU footage yet the big 3 recruiting sites had him in the top 100.

After that, I found this article written 20 months ago by Jack Herron, the leading recruiting guru covering VA,

"
The entire season we were debating about how the top spot of the 2019 class would come down to 6’8” Armando Bacot of Trinity Episcopal and 6’11” Qudus Wahab of Virginia Academy. As they time came to make the decision, Bacot got the slight nod over Wahab because of his advanced skill set and feel for the game at his age and size. Bacot has had a terrific spring, and he currently holds offers from UCF, VCU, JMU, Georgia Tech and Richmond.

While Bacot holds the edge now, Wahab’s ceiling is so high that he could catapult not just Bacot, but a number of players in the national rankings if he continues to develop the way we expect. Last weekend at Scouts Focus All American, Wahab showed aggression as he attacked the rim with ferocity, and he showed improvement as he worked with his back-to-the basket, and showed a soft touch on post moves and in the midrange."

Now, I live in NOVA, Wahab plays 2 miles from where I work. I've scene him play. After watching him for well over a year, I concur with Herron, Wahab is a very special talent that could end of being a lottery when it's all said in done.

Alas, I think our time is past. Wahab is visiting all 12 schools (7 unofficials, 5 OV's). His 7 unofficial visits are Temple, G'town, VCU, UCONN, Syracuse, Ohio State, and Pitt.

This means his 5 OV's will probably be (URI, LSU, Louisville, Miami, and Virginia Tech), they will all end up being on his final list.

Can you imagine Will Wade and LSU coming to the Stu with Wahab as the starting Center? Worse yet, having to face him twice a year with URI?

well great, now im even more depressed. I had really been holding out hope for him, especially since I, like most, thought Mr. Bacot might choose to go elsewhere, and even assuming that, it still bummed me out when he did. And now you're telling me we're likely out on not just another big, but another somewhat local kid, and to Frank no less? That's it man, im done, im gonna go throw up now, and try not to check this board again until november.

Last edited by a moderator:
well great, now im even more depressed. I had really been holding out hope for him, especially since I, like most, thought Mr. Bacot might choose to go elsewhere, and even assuming that, it still bummed me out when he did. And now you're telling me we're likely out on not just another big, but another somewhat local kid, and to Frank no less? That's it man, im done, im gonna go throw up now, and try not to check this board again until november.

The give up the ghost yet, we are naheem mcleod's final 6. We are talking lasalle, penN st., uri, temple and oregon.

7'3 !!!!! Put a window washer like that in the back of our press!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are we still talking about him? He chose elsewhere. Let it go and move on. Close this thread.

Ram Cray,

"

Wahab isn't sniffing at us. Mark it

Yeah, that's true. The odometer resets to zero once you step foot on campus.

Exactly. Stick a fork in it.
And that brings me to my original point - these lists mean nothing. Most of the time it's just kids showing off interest from schools. The whole "reveal video" and cut lists are just stupid bragging material.

Programs like ours play with risky odds when it comes to recruiting. Coaches at VCUesque schools try to use all their senses to find that under the radar kid and then hope that the 2 or 3* turns into the next phenom. The only schools that bring in sure shot talent are the likes of Duke, Kentuky and UNC and that's why they are always in contention for the championship. Most of these 4* are high risk too.

And that brings me to my original point - these lists mean nothing. Most of the time it's just kids showing off interest from schools. The whole "reveal video" and cut lists are just stupid bragging material.
The lists mean nothing when we aren't picked, but you can't say final cut lists mean absolutely nothing before a decision is made

Back