At mid-majors, big talent in little places

Mistachill

Elite Member
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... le-places/

"All of the basketball I played was streetball," Sanders remembered. "You didn't get any love in those games for rebounds and blocked shots. If you wanted to play, you better know how to shoot and dribble. I couldn't do either. I could dunk like crazy, so because of that and my height, I was usually the first guy picked. And then they saw me play, and I never got picked again. It was frustrating. I stunk at the things they valued, so I just quit showing up."

Sanders did turn up for junior varsity tryouts his junior year in high school, lured by the shiny new high tops. His first four years of organized hoops later, Sanders is the heir apparent to Eric Maynor's star scepter at VCU. And again, a group of dazzled onlookers hope to add him to their team... this time as a likely NBA lottery pick.

And then there's Sanders, who is more than just on the NBA's radar thanks in large part to his 7-7 wingspan, the widest at any level since Gheorghe Muresan (7-10) tormented opponents with his shot-swatting, rebound-corralling length.

How long is the 6-9 Sanders? He can stand flat-footed and pin a basketball to the rim.

"What really wows you about Larry is that not only does he have all these physical gifts, he's got a ridiculously high ceiling," coach Shaka Smart said. "He's come a long way, but he's not anywhere near his plateau. ... He's a unique kid all around. Nobody his size can run faster, jump higher or has a bigger wingspan. Yeah, he's really rare. He's special."

Makes you laugh to re-read all those idiot odu fans (sorry, redundant) statements that he will never sniff the NBA...great judge of basketball from those losers.

The progression of Larry Sanders has been a lot of fun to watch. I know last year I was definitely guilty of focusing on Eric too much and forgetting about all of the improvements Larry had made to his game. That definitely won't be a problem this year! Guys like this don't come around very often and we're very lucky to have him on our side!

Like all other championship teams there is a star in the middle of it all. Larry is a star, future lottery pick and will be the MVP of the CAA regular season and tournament.

This year we will be ranked in the top 25 at one point and we will go to the Sweet 16.

getSmart said:
Like all other championship teams there is a star in the middle of it all. Larry is a star, future lottery pick and will be the MVP of the CAA regular season and tournament.

This year we will be ranked in the top 25 at one point and we will go to the Sweet 16.
Ballsy pick before one game is played. I hope it comes to fruition.

Ramdog said:
Makes you laugh to re-read all those idiot odu fans (sorry, redundant) statements that he will never sniff the NBA...great judge of basketball from those losers.

Yeah, if only we could have a big slow Danish guy with low ceiling to counterbalance Larry's almost limitless potential...

VCUENT said:
Ramdog said:

Yeah, if only we could have a big slow Danish guy with low ceiling to counterbalance Larry's almost limitless potential...

These two ODU games are gonna be intense! I have a feeling that ODU is gonna throw everything they have at Larry since Lee cannot guard Larry one-on-one. He's been out-matched by Larry every time they've played head-to-head. ODU has some BIG bodies though and I remember the ODU game at the Ted last year and just thinking that ODU was just playing 3 or 4 on 1 sometimes with Larry in the paint. It'll be interesting to see how Larry reacts to that this year. That's almost certainly going to be the case again this year. Should be extremely exciting!

Ramdog said:

They never learn. It's comical.

It must be KILLING CAA fan-bases that we have had such ridiculously talented players the last couple years AND have won the CAA title multiple times AND made noise in the NCAA tourney....Just imagine how much more insufferable the Zone would be if there were more then 4 VCU fans there.....the Larry hate and recriminations would be running thick thru the streets.

Great article and reason number 10 billion Larry won't be back for his senior season....big-men recruits of the nation take note.

Half-baked Mcbride said:
It must be KILLING CAA fan-bases that we have had such ridiculously talented players the last couple years AND have won the CAA title multiple times AND made noise in the NCAA tourney....Just imagine how much more insufferable the Zone would be if there were more then 4 VCU fans there.....the Larry hate and recriminations would be running thick thru the streets.

Great article and reason number 10 billion Larry won't be back for his senior season....big-men recruits of the nation take note.

They hate us cause they aint us

Back