Atricle on Bill Courtney

xjohnx

Original Gangster
Elite Member
http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports ... 03/275883/

Courtney said he also values loyalty, citing his eight years of service to Larranaga, and was hesitant to leave VCU so soon after he arrived. But he believed he had accomplished all he could in the Colonial Athletic Association, VCU and George Mason's league, and wanted to get back into the ACC.

Really? You accomplished all could accomplish in the CAA in 2 months of the off season? Seriously Bill? Don't let the door hit you in the mangina on the way out.

xjohnx said:
http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_basketball/article/TECH24_20090623-221203/275883/

Courtney said he also values loyalty, citing his eight years of service to Larranaga, and was hesitant to leave VCU so soon after he arrived. But he believed he had accomplished all he could in the Colonial Athletic Association, VCU and George Mason's league, and wanted to get back into the ACC.

Really? You accomplished all could accomplish in the CAA in 2 months of the off season? Seriously Bill? Don't let the door hit you in the mangina on the way out.

So, if you felt like you had accomplished all you could in the CAA, why take the VCU job in the first place? He had no intentions of being loyal to VCU. Courtney and Greenberg are deserving of each other.

xjohnx said:
http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_basketball/article/TECH24_20090623-221203/275883/

If you consider that he coached at Mason for eight years prior to leaving for Providence, then UVa, it's easier to understand why he would feel like he was taking a step back coming back to a CAA program. I doubt he was suggesting he had accomplished all he could at VCU in two months.

He obviously took the VCU job because he needed to stay employed, and when a "better" (in his mind) opportunity opened up in the nation's premier college basketball conference, he took it. I can't quite understand why so many on this board seem so naive about the way the business of Division I college basketball works these days. If Smart is as successful at VCU as Grant was, you guys are going to be dumping buckets of hate on him in a few years, too -- nothing in Shaka's coaching resume suggests he plans to be a long-timer in Richmond.

Good riddance. We came out of this much better. Mike Jones wants to be here and I think he will do a great job. Shaka appears to be glad with the end result based on comments I have seen from him. Courtney and Greenberg are two of a kind and deserve each other.

F the Times Dispatch

His hiring at VCU got a few paragraphs...his hiring at vatech becomes a friggin pull out section...he must of really learned something in the two months on the VCU job.

xjohnx said:

Mangina. Awesome.
Bad Karma for Uncle Fester and the Hokies. No skin off of our arse. All we do is reload and produce 1st round draft picks baby!!!!!!!

AG - do you think Courtney came clean with his feeling about "accomplishing all he could" in the CAA when Coach Smart approached him about the position? Do you think the conversation included discussion about his desire to eventually return to an ACC level conference ASAP?

AG_fan said:
xjohnx said:

If you consider that he coached at Mason for eight years prior to leaving for Providence, then UVa, it's easier to understand why he would feel like he was taking a step back coming back to a CAA program. I doubt he was suggesting he had accomplished all he could at VCU in two months.

He obviously took the VCU job because he needed to stay employed, and when a "better" (in his mind) opportunity opened up in the nation's premier college basketball conference, he took it. I can't quite understand why so many on this board seem so naive about the way the business of Division I college basketball works these days. If Smart is as successful at VCU as Grant was, you guys are going to be dumping buckets of hate on him in a few years, too -- nothing in Shaka's coaching resume suggests he plans to be a long-timer in Richmond.

I don't think anyone is even remotely being naive on these boards with respect to what goes on in the coaching profession. That said, anyone who can't fathom the utter lack of decency and professionalism displayed by Courtney needs to take Ethics 101. You simply don't commit to take a position in the middle of the crucial player evaluation period and then bail at the first opportunity. Some may dismiss this type of behavior as just being the "norm" in the coaching profession, but that is lame at best. That attitude is the problem with the world today.

You can bet that Courtney, the career assistant, would darn well come running if one of the better CAA schools offered him a Head Coaching job. Hopefully the league schools will remember that he is not a viable candidate as he has accomplished all he can in the CAA. The league should blackball the guy.

On a brighter note, Courtney will not be missed because Mike Jones is a great fit for VCU and he wants to be here and help us build on our success!

Coach had to have known he was getting a guy who felt that he needed a job. He didn't have a previous relationship with Shaka or have a love for VCU. It was just a mutually beneficial relationship. Some times those things workout, sometimes they don't.

Back