BA Walker heads Hoops Camp

Mistachill

Elite Member
http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/2009 ... 323/-1/ESN

B.A. Walker was back to his old gym last week, a place where, during his high school days, he filled up the stands and brought standing ovations.

He wasn't back to replay his high school heroics or to reminisce about the two state championship basketball teams he played on at Nandua. He was back to lend his expertise on the hardwood to some of the younger generation basketball players as part of the Walker Basketball Camp.

Good to hear something about BA. He was great for VCU, quality player and person.

One thing I wish for is that VCU can get established enough that we can start bringing back some previous players onto our coaching staff with the hopes of grooming them to one day be coach. Yes Coach Smart is only 32 but he seems aggressive and if he has a couple of winning seasons he might get swooped up by some BCS school.

We will then be back searching for some more "lightening in a bottle". But imagine if we brought back someone like BA onto our coaching staff and let Coach Smart teach him the ropes. Then in the case Coach Smart left we would have a legitimate fan favorite replacement.

Probably not a good comparison but look how many ex-players Duke has brought back assistant coaches who have gone on to be good head coaches. I actually cannot think of a single ex-VCU player that now coaches.

getSmart said:
Good to hear something about BA. He was great for VCU, quality player and person.

One thing I wish for is that VCU can get established enough that we can start bringing back some previous players onto our coaching staff with the hopes of grooming them to one day be coach. Yes Coach Smart is only 32 but he seems aggressive and if he has a couple of winning seasons he might get swooped up by some BCS school.

We will then be back searching for some more "lightening in a bottle". But imagine if we brought back someone like BA onto our coaching staff and let Coach Smart teach him the ropes. Then in the case Coach Smart left we would have a legitimate fan favorite replacement.

Probably not a good comparison but look how many ex-players Duke has brought back assistant coaches who have gone on to be good head coaches. I actually cannot think of a single ex-VCU player that now coaches.

I have thought about this for some time...I hope Eric Maynor, once his NBA career completes, would get into the coaching ranks. I think he has what it takes to be a coach - and I would love to see hime in about 12 years coaching VCU... :D

VCUBeatsduke

I would also like to Add...I have been following VCU basketball since the early 70's and I have to say, one of the classiest players to EVER wear the VCU jersey is none other than Mr. BA Walker. Just a class act in every sense of the word. Never caused a problem on the team, and the coaches loved him.

And that 3 pointer againt Pitt in the 2nd half was like the sickest shot I have ever seen...clutch all of the way...just a complete hero in my book. :!:

Thank you BA for all that you did for VCU basketballl...

VCUBeatsduke

i agree with the idea of bringing back former players to potentially groom them to be a future coach for us as that is what even the biggest programs like Duke do with Dawkins, WoJo, and Chris Collins.

mwalvlior said:
i agree with the idea of bringing back former players to potentially groom them to be a future coach for us as that is what even the biggest programs like Duke do with Dawkins, WoJo, and Chris Collins.

and yet rumors are that out of all former Duke players / current coaches, Capel has the best chance of taking reigns when Krzyzewski steps down.

i dont disagree with that assessment that capel because of his head coaching experience would probably be the most qualified to take it now...but then again we cant keep a coach as long as coach K stays there...or at least we cant seem to right now.

xjohnx said:
mwalvlior said:

and yet rumors are that out of all former Duke players / current coaches, Capel has the best chance of taking reigns when Krzyzewski steps down.

John - I have read that Capel and Coach K do not get a long...I wonder how much input coach K would have....

VCUBeatsduke

mwalvlior said:
i dont disagree with that assessment that capel because of his head coaching experience would probably be the most qualified to take it now...but then again we cant keep a coach as long as coach K stays there...or at least we cant seem to right now.

you are right. coaches have been coming and going due to our success. I guess a good measure or sign of our success will be when one of our good coaches opts to stay because we are the better option and place to be. I personally did not feel like Coaches Capel, Grant and now Smart planned on staying here long. I due believe that while they were (are) here they gave it their all. But I would like some stability and I don't mean the kind of stability that Coach Sonny Smith brought. He basically came here to ride it out and retire.

If Coach Smart turns out to be good or even great, it would be nice to see him stay 7-8 years. It would really help with recruiting and even growing the brand of VCU basketball.

Not to be negative but, it is VERY rare in D-I basketball for a program player to become a good coach. Grant was ok, Capel was ok as players but neither were high profile players nor had long pro careers. Extend this out over all D-I programs and you will find that most coaches were more students of the game as opposed to players. Shaka fits this mold as a very good D-III player. Rhoades too.
I love BA. If he had the ability to contribute, then fine. But I think the desire to have a former player as the head coach is a nice sentiment but it just isnt the best criteria to base hiring a coach.

major ram said:
Not to be negative but, it is VERY rare in D-I basketball for a program player to become a good coach. Grant was ok, Capel was ok as players but neither were high profile players nor had long pro careers. Extend this out over all D-I programs and you will find that most coaches were more students of the game as opposed to players. Shaka fits this mold as a very good D-III player. Rhoades too.
I love BA. If he had the ability to contribute, then fine. But I think the desire to have a former player as the head coach is a nice sentiment but it just isnt the best criteria to base hiring a coach.

Its very rare for a Star player to become a good HC in any sport. Colin Cowherd said it best, the best coaches are the guys who werent all that talented but were normally the hardest workers

VCUBeatsduke said:
I would also like to Add...I have been following VCU basketball since the early 70's and I have to say, one of the classiest players to EVER wear the VCU jersey is none other than Mr. BA Walker. Just a class act in every sense of the word. Never caused a problem on the team, and the coaches loved him.

And that 3 pointer againt Pitt in the 2nd half was like the sickest shot I have ever seen...clutch all of the way...just a complete hero in my book. :!:

Thank you BA for all that you did for VCU basketballl...

VCUBeatsduke

Not to forget that he comes from one of the nicest families. His mother and grandmother were--and are--great role models for him. Great value system. Good attitude. Thanks, B.A. for all the memories!

Back