Benefit shows for RVA's Dan Duggins

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
About a month ago Dan Duggins...Richmond native, awesome drummer, and an all around great guy...suffered a stroke after he got a blood clot in his neck.

http://www.altpress.com/news/hrcdrummerstroke.htm

He's in a "locked in" state and was just moved back to Richmond (from NY where he was living/working with his wifr JoAnn). His medical bills are going to be huge, so a bunch of Dan's musician friends are putting on some benefit shows to help him out.

dan_duggins.jpg

On June 18th at Strange Matter (formerly Twisters, on Grace St) there is gonna be a reunion show of some 90's bands...Submerge, Sau (my old band...I'll be there with horn in hand) and some of the guys from River City High. All $$$ goes to help Dan

also, on June 24th at Alleykatz the band Jack's Mannequin is performing. They're a Cali band who are pretty well known...their bass player was the guy who started SaU (Jon Sullivan)....that's definately gonna raise some dough as Alleykatz is only askin' for $300 for the venue. Cool move by them.

I know a bunch of you guys are active in the RVA music scene...so I thought I'd pass the word. Oh Natty....there can be no SaU reunion withour our boy Mambo....so I'm gonna pester his ass to get there as well.

Very cool I'll try to make it out. River City High was awesome. Jack Mannequin's singer battled through cancer himself, cool move on their part. Obviously cool move on your part too. Thanks.

Yea, I just heard that....I guess they'll have to scootch it to another venue

darn...I'm gonna miss Alleykatz....so many good clubs gone

Hole in the Wall
Flood Zone
MoonDance

the 90's were great

Twisters is now Strange Matter (where our show is on the 18th).....I wonder if it still smells like vomit and sweat :lol:

Half-baked Mcbride said:
Twisters is now Strange Matter (where our show is on the 18th).....I wonder if it still smells like vomit and sweat :lol:

I just couldn't let a list of Richmond's once famed venues go without a twisters mention. Twisters was a mecca!

Twisters was amazing. Played many a shows there in the mid 90's. People from all over the country were jealous of Twisters and the people we were bringing in. I still haven't been to StrangeMatter. No real desire too either. It's gonna have to be a really cool show.

AlleyKatz...meh. I LOVE the space/venue, but that place has run all wrong for some years now.. AlleyKatz could be the best venue if town. It's beautiful inside, it's in a cobblestone alley, and it's got the namesake. But you have to bring in good bands to make it work, and then you have to pay those bands. They should have exploded when Twisters shutdown. They are the only medium sized venue left in town. I guess there is Canal Club, but that isn't nearly as well known or inviting a venue.

A smart business person could take over AlleyKatz and make it amazing.

Half-baked Mcbride said:

Naw, not it smells like sweat and vomit.

-rimshot-

I went to the doctor, and he said
"I need a blood sample, a stool sample, a semen sample, and a urine sample."

so

I gave him my underwear

who-ah!!!!!

Still....If you dig Horn Metal with a Tom Jones cover....Strange Matter on the 18th is where it's at!!!

Back