Big Recruits Without VCU Offers

Recruiting lists show these "bigger" kids [2010 targets] with some level of interest in or by VCU but without an offer from VCU. Anyone have insight as to why no offer, if VCU is in legitmate running and if they are worth chasing?

23 J.D. Weatherspoon
(Northland HS)
Columbus, OH
6-6/190 Med No Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, Ohio State, Virginia Commonwealth, West Virginia, Xavier, Dayton

NR Melsahn Basabe
(St. Mark's School)
Southborough, MA
6-6/165 Med No Drexel, George Washington, Northeastern, Rutgers, Saint John's (NY), Siena, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Virginia Commonwealth

NR Antonio Jenifer
(McKinley Technology HS)
Washington, DC
6-6/205 Med No Massachusetts, Virginia Commonwealth

NR James Carlton
(South Central HS)
Winterville, NC
6-7/205 Med No Appalachian State, East Carolina, Marquette, UNC-Greensboro, Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth, Western Carolina, William & Mary, Winthrop

NR Santoine Butler
(Cross Creek HS)
Augusta, GA
6-8/185 Med No College of Charleston, Georgia Tech, Virginia Commonwealth, Winthrop

NR Hippolyte Tsafack
(The Miller School)
Charlottesville, VA
6-8/230 Med No Auburn, Clemson, Duke, Houston, Maryland, New Mexico, Notre Dame, Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth, Virginia Tech

RamJamFan said:
Recruiting lists show these "bigger" kids [2010 targets] with some level of interest in or by VCU but without an offer from VCU. Anyone have insight as to why no offer, if VCU is in legitmate running and if they are worth chasing?

23 J.D. Weatherspoon
(Northland HS)
Columbus, OH
6-6/190 Med No Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, Ohio State, Virginia Commonwealth, West Virginia, Xavier, Dayton

NR Melsahn Basabe
(St. Mark's School)
Southborough, MA
6-6/165 Med No Drexel, George Washington, Northeastern, Rutgers, Saint John's (NY), Siena, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Virginia Commonwealth

NR Antonio Jenifer
(McKinley Technology HS)
Washington, DC
6-6/205 Med No Massachusetts, Virginia Commonwealth

NR James Carlton
(South Central HS)
Winterville, NC
6-7/205 Med No Appalachian State, East Carolina, Marquette, UNC-Greensboro, Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth, Western Carolina, William & Mary, Winthrop

NR Santoine Butler
(Cross Creek HS)
Augusta, GA
6-8/185 Med No College of Charleston, Georgia Tech, Virginia Commonwealth, Winthrop

NR Hippolyte Tsafack
(The Miller School)
Charlottesville, VA
6-8/230 Med No Auburn, Clemson, Duke, Houston, Maryland, New Mexico, Notre Dame, Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth, Virginia Tech

since when is 6'6" big?

Weatherspoon has made a verbal commitment to Xavier and Hippolyte has stated he is not interested in VCU.

VCU_Dan your are correct, 6'6 is not your typical "big" man size. But most of the size and weights are incorrect on the recruiting websites, as the information is collected on the kids from years back. For example, Justine Coleman of Henrico High is listed as 6'4 on most web sites but he is actually more like 6'6.

So A. Jennifer, even though listed as 6'6, is more than likely an inch or two taller than that.

I subscribe to most of the major recruiting services, have for many years, and trust me, the information as to who has offered is the LEAST accurate of the information provided. This has historically been the case.

RAMification said:
I subscribe to most of the major recruiting services, have for many years, and trust me, the information as to who has offered is the LEAST accurate of the information provided. This has historically been the case.

RAMification, since you subscribe to the recruiting websites can you find any updates on Anthony Lee and Josh Henderson?

Is Antonio Jenifer any relation to (Keith ?) Jenifer- the former VCU P/G recruit that got away? If it's the guy I'm thinking about, probably would have been 7 or 8 years ago- maybe a even a bit more?? I believe he was from the same area.

And didn't that Jenifer end up at UVA, and not really doing a lot? Seems like maybe he had a half-way descent freshman year, and then faded? Much like my memory!!!

getSmart,

Over the past few weeks there has not been much in the way of updates on Lee and Henderson. I can tell you this, both have been on the rise. Lee is the #20(***) Center prospect on Scout.com, #83 overall, and he is the #27 PF prospect, #132 overall on Rivals. Lee kind of blew-up in the "Rumble in the Bronx." Henderson is now the #22(***) rated Center on Scout. He has been playing AAU ball this summer with East Coast Fusion.

One other tid-bit of note - when Demontre Harris dropped UCONN and kept VCU in the running, he also dropped NC State and Boston College at the same time. While he will be a very, very difficult get, it's good to see VCU pounding it out with the big boys. This says a lot about the coaching staff and certainly bodes well for the future.

Thanks for the update. I ask about Anthony Lee because RecruitRecon has seen him play, interviewed him and he was interested in us. He may be another tough one to sign, but as you said our staff is banging with the big boys, which will pay off.

I agree 6'6" is not "big", but I sorted recruiting lists by "non-committed that we are considering" and that limited list is basically it right now.

With 8 guys on next year's team under that height, and with our two most experienced "bigs" potentially leaving after next year [Sanders & Krill], size is our weakness in the future.

Any body think we might be siftng through the Jr. college ranks as well, or only chasing bigs from HS?

RamBo said:
And didn't that Jenifer end up at UVA, and not really doing a lot? Seems like maybe he had a half-way descent freshman year, and then faded? Much like my memory!!!

He was kicked off the team at UVa for getting in a bar fight and finished his college career at Murray State.

Thanks. I couldn't really remember what exactly happened. But I knew that all of a sudden, he just dropped off of the local sports radar. Thanks for clearing that up. So does anyone know if the above-mentioned kid is from the same family? Just curious. Same area I believe.

Back