Big ten conference realignment

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/375235-jim-delaney-size-12-or-16-footprint

Now, the ACC is significantly weaker but still an extremely valuable conference that has solid basketball programs but retains the best football playing members in Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Virginia Tech. Those schools know that football and football alone is their meal ticket.

I found this over at the JMU message boards and they were trying to include themselves and ODU in the mix to move up. It is important VCU make their decision about football soon before these conference realignments take place.

Dude, they are not going to take JMU or ODU. They will take a school that has an ESTABLISHED football program that could compete as soon as they arrive. JMU and ODU would take YEARS, if ever, to get to that level.

VCU would take 5 or 6 years to even form a program and start playing. So I consider ODU and JMU to have about 0.05% change (slim) of moving to a BCS conference and VCU at about 0.0005% (none).

Not going to happen.

Now let's get our basketball program where we are in the money EVERY year, then we can talk flag football.

I love football, and would relish the day VCU could have a good DI football program...but, I also relish the day we have an on-going top 30 D1 bb program, which we are far from yet achieving. Until then, my energy, money and attention will stay focused on VCU bb.

Butler is in Big 10 country, maybe they should spend more money on football?

I'm thinking it's the same knuckleheads that threw bottles at the popo at the spring party that are posting such nonsense. Their daddys' pockets are deep for them to be out of jail so quickly.

Dude, they are not going to take JMU or ODU

I know that....

I believe JMU has pretty much hit its pinnacle. I don't see any more potential in JMU.
Yet I do see tremendous potential in ODU. ODU has a big market as well and I could see them making strides to move up.

The point being is no matter how much we say we love basketball our school cannot move to something greater than the CAA without a football program. A large public university with only basketball simply cannot and will not move up the ranks.

Fact is, we're not going to move to something greater than the CAA WITH football either. JMU and ODU aren't going anywhere either honestly. They might go to another league that may be slightly better revered (ex. A-10) but none of them are high profile enough to go to a top 6 conference and they won't.

JMU to Big-10...no way...the the big boys league?...maybe..their stadium expansion may get them above the D-I minimum I think

IbleedVCU said:
I believe JMU has pretty much hit its pinnacle. I don't see any more potential in JMU.

I couldn't disagree with this statement more.

IbleedVCU said:
Yet I do see tremendous potential in ODU. ODU has a big market as well and I could see them making strides to move up.

Homes,

Markets don't mean squat in college athletics. Virginia is a perfect example. Both UVA (Charlottesville) and Tech (Blacksburg) are in tiny markets. Charlottesville is a mircopolitan area of 290,000. Blacksburg/Christianburg Montgomery County micropolitan area and has a population of approximately 160,000. They are both tiny markets, but at the end of the day who is selling more merchandise in Richmond and Norfolk? Tech and UVA. Why because they're in the ACC and VCU and ODU are not. UVA and Tech tap into the entire state because they are the most visible due to their conference affiliation.

Remember when the CAA thought it would be a great idea to add Drexel (Philly), Towson (Baltimore), Hofstra (New York), Northeastern (Boston), Delaware (Philly) and GA State (Atlanta)? How's that worked out for us? The people in those cities don't give a rat's ass about those teams. Why? Because they're not in the ACC, Big East, A-10 or SEC.

My point is you could put Longwood in the ACC and they would SUDDENLY be more "popular" then VCU. Outside of a few exceptions, entire states serve as fan bases for universities, not necessarily a single metro area. ODU jumps to the Big East, suddenly a lot of people in Richmond become interested in them. A LOT of VCU fans are Tech or UVA football fans. Banana loves everything about the state of Tennessee... it's not all about metro markets.

agree with ybr... the CAA's explanation that they were hoping to expand into bigger markets was mostly just spin... they really just needed replacement schools to keep from losing the NCAA basketball automatic bid after ur, American, and ECU left... further explanations were just making lemonade

Back