Big Ten to explore adding 12th member

Joined
May 2, 2009
Posts
142
Likes
84
If the Big 10 adds a team just maybe VCU can move on from the CAA! If the Big Ten takes a Big East team 1 of 2 things could happen.

1: An A-10 member will move to the Big East. VCU will take over the spot left in the A-10.

2: A Big East Member goes to the Big Ten, we jump into the Big East as a result. If we can convince the Big East that they need the Richmond/Virginia market to complete with the ACC it will do wonders for both parties involve.

Thoughts?! I truly feel VCU is more ready then any other CAA or A-10 team to jump into the Big East. It will be a great fit for us!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4745381
 
Ridiculous.

The Big East is already too big. The only way they replace a team would be if a Big East football team left, and then they would be replaced with another football school.

The Big Ten is not taking a non BCS football school, so that pretty much eliminates most of the A-10.
 
This could be just a "triggering" event that start a long process of conference realignment.

Because of our basketball profile, we would be in good shape if a few openings came up. This happens every 10 years or so, usually around TV contracts expiring.

How nice would it be if Shaka gets things going and moves to a better conference without leaving VCU?
 
I wouldnt mind a move to the A-10

Don't see it happening but it would be nice
 
I agree with Rick that the domino affect could impact us down the road. If we got into the A-10 it would a WAY different A-10 than we have now. I could see a new conference created that may be a semi-merger type situation.

I wouldn't find a move to the current A-10 very appealing.
 
fmrick said:
This could just a "triggering" event that start a long process of conference realignment.

Because of our basketball profile, we would be in good shape if a few openings came up. This happens every 10 years or so, usually around TV contracts expiring.

How nice would it be if Shaka gets things going and moves to a better conference without leaving VCU?

Don't forget about schools dropping football. There are plenty of things happening that could see major conference changes occurring in the not-too-distant future.
 
Mercury said:
I wouldnt mind a move to the A-10

Don't see it happening but it would be nice

I agree. There are some solid teams in A-10 (and U of R too), and the conf is consistently rated higher than CAA. Although the A-10 is looking rather portly these days - the "10" has swollen to 14 or so teams. Not sure how many they want.

Besides, this year we are 2-0 vs A-10 teams, and 0-1 vs CAA teams - we do better against their competition...
 
The CAA and VCU are mutually beneficial. If only we didn't have the bottom feeders to drag us and the whole conference down.
 
ViCtorioUs said:
The CAA and VCU are mutually beneficial. If only we didn't have the bottom feeders to drag us and the whole conference down.

The CAA is was and always will be a small time conference. If something better comes up we gotta jump. Build up basketball turn it into a money maker(not sure if we break a profit now) and use that to help fund some of the other sports at VCU.
 
vcudesign said:
If the Big 10 adds a team just maybe VCU can move on from the CAA! If the Big Ten takes a Big East team 1 of 2 things could happen.

1: An A-10 member will move to the Big East. VCU will take over the spot left in the A-10.

2: A Big East Member goes to the Big Ten, we jump into the Big East as a result. If we can convince the Big East that they need the Richmond/Virginia market to complete with the ACC it will do wonders for both parties involve.

Thoughts?! I truly feel VCU is more ready then any other CAA or A-10 team to jump into the Big East. It will be a great fit for us!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4745381

The team getting all the whisper talk is probably Memphis. If the Big East or Big Ten take Memphis, then the question is how does Conference USA respond.
 
If the Big 10 adds any team, it is probably going to be Notre Dame. Notre Dame is struggling right now and will very possibly lose their football contract with NBC. That will be a big blow to them financially and from an exposure standpoint. The timing couldn't be any better right now for them to join the Big 10. If it isn't them, my guess is Syracuse. Either way, you can bet the Big East picks up another football school. Personally, I think their only options are ECU, Memphis, UAB or Central Florida. Nothing else makes sense geogrphically. All of those schools are in Conference USA. I think the next move would be for Conference USA to add another football school.
 
As long as ND has their contract with NBC I don't see them making a move to the Big 10. As a conference of one in football they don't have to share and the Big East takes care of their needs in all the other sports. They can have their cake and eat it too. Why would they want to change that?
 
If ODU football keeps going like it appears to be they might get a call to step up somewhere
 
Mercury said:
ViCtorioUs said:
The CAA and VCU are mutually beneficial. If only we didn't have the bottom feeders to drag us and the whole conference down.

The CAA is was and always will be a small time conference. If something better comes up we gotta jump. Build up basketball turn it into a money maker(not sure if we break a profit now) and use that to help fund some of the other sports at VCU.

Geographically speaking, without going into a BCS league the A-10 is the only place we could go from here that would be up. We are not a good geographic fit for the other mid majors historically ranked ahead of us:
Mountain West - No
Missouri Valley - No
Western Athletic - No
Coference USA - Maybe (but the only reason they rank highly is because of Memphis so not sure that's a huge step up)
West Coast Conference - No

That being said there are many worse conferences than the CAA (as in more than half of all available conferences), so I wouldn't exactly say we are a small time conference. We are just about exactly middle of the road. Not too many places to go upward short of restructuring as previously mentioned. Rather than switch conferences all together perhaps we'd be better to stay and build on our current successes and work to become the "Gonzaga of the WCC", the "Butler of the Horizon",etc. The way you do that is by building post season recognition i.e. consistenly getting to and winning games in the field of 64. This kind of repeated success builds the brand that keeps the recruiting/future of the program strong.
 
Back
Top