Bones Hyland - NBA Thread

I don’t think he’s ready for the NBA. Probably hoping for a big signing bonus, and then off to Europe. If he does well there, he could maybe then land on an NBA roster and sit on the bench.
Best of luck to him!

I seriously doubt he would go to Europe. The G League is a better route to the NBA because it allows NBA scouts to see you more often. It’s also a lot easier to sign a 10 day NBA contract and get a look from a team when you’re in the G League. Playing in Europe can be a good experience and lucrative, but it’s more likely to become a permanent move.

It always makes me laugh when people think they know who will play professionally and who won’t.
It is OKAY to be bummed that you won’t see Bones play at The Stu. It is OKAY to feel as if Bones didn’t get to really max out his time here because our 2021 season ended in a heartbreaking manner where we were not on the floor. It is OKAY to hope that Bones has received the right advice from the coaching staff, his family, and professional scouts.

The two things that drive me nuts:
1. Fans (mainly on Facebook) acting like he needs to get his degree now. Even if he is in the G-league next year he will be making similar salaries to what college graduates make in entry level positions. Not to mention, MR is a LOVING coach who has an open door policy with former players (even if he didn’t coach them). Going back to school won’t be an issue.
2. Fans thinking that “______ player” is not ready for the pros. Last time I checked, you aren’t an NBA scout, so your opinion is USELESS.

I’m looking forward to Bones’ journey. His 3-point stroke is attractive in the current landscape of the NBA and he’s clearly a hard-worker. VCU fans now that he’s a hard worker so I hope there is a team (or teams) that want him.

It is OKAY to be bummed that you won’t see Bones play at The Stu. It is OKAY to feel as if Bones didn’t get to really max out his time here because our 2021 season ended in a heartbreaking manner where we were not on the floor. It is OKAY to hope that Bones has received the right advice from the coaching staff, his family, and professional scouts.

The two things that drive me nuts:
1. Fans (mainly on Facebook) acting like he needs to get his degree now. Even if he is in the G-league next year he will be making similar salaries to what college graduates make in entry level positions. Not to mention, MR is a LOVING coach who has an open door policy with former players (even if he didn’t coach them). Going back to school won’t be an issue.
2. Fans thinking that “______ player” is not ready for the pros. Last time I checked, you aren’t an NBA scout, so your opinion is USELESS.

I’m looking forward to Bones’ journey. His 3-point stroke is attractive in the current landscape of the NBA and he’s clearly a hard-worker. VCU fans now that he’s a hard worker so I hope there is a team (or teams) that want him.

MarylandRamFan is the biggest know-nothing, fairweather, garbage-take artist on the entire board so his call that Bones isn't ready is more of an indicator of success than anything else. Kind of like a DL recruiting prediction.

It always makes me laugh when people think they know who will play professionally and who won’t.

I'm certainly not an evaluator of talent for the Association but I watch a lot of it.

NBA is a scoring league; you put points on the board you will find a spot on a roster.

I'm certainly not an evaluator of talent for the Association but I watch a lot of it.

NBA is a scoring league; you put points on the board you will find a spot on a roster.

and the three point shot has pretty much taken over the league so a guy that can knock it down consistently from 32 feet will find a place there

Pretty much, that’s how Troy and Treveon keep finding their way onto NBA rosters, although at the moment both of them are free agents.

Various mock drafts have mostly put Hyland early in the second round. According to a March story by The Ringer, while some NBA executives see Hyland as a second-round pick, others see him as someone worthy of a late lottery pick.

Not sure where Epps is getting that lottery nugget from....Would be amazing if it happens. Article also states that, if drafted, Bones would be the youngest VCU draft pick ever.

Here's his competition in the PG/SG category....
Jalen Suggs
Jalen Green
James Bouknight
Keon Johnson
Jaden Springer
Shareef Cooper
David Johnson
Cam Thomas
Ziaire WIlliams
Davion Mitchell
Ayo Dosunmu
Josh Christopher
Tre Mann
Jared Butler
Josh Giddey (listed as a PG even though he's 6'8)
Chris Duarte
Miles "Don't Call Me Half-Baked" McBride
Aaron Henry
Geo Smith
Austin Reaves

I would think with the move he is making one or more teams are indicating they will take him as a pick at a level he is comfortable with.
Let me preface this that I know nothing. Little Sergeant Schultz there for us old timers. Wish him the best.

Reactions: SWV
Back