Bones Hyland - NBA Thread

I love the kid, but there have been a LOT of rumblings going back to his freshman year about his ego getting in the way of team chemistry.

Bones was 100% in the wrong for just about ALL his issues in Denver...it was kind of sad to see, I hope he learns how to be a professional athlete before his NBA chances flitter away.

IMO Bones doesnt need time to development; he needs PT. And to check his ego which has gotten him this far,

IMO Bones doesnt need time to development; he needs PT. And to check his ego which has gotten him this far,
nothing wrong with having an ego. most players do.
Bones needs to work hard to improve those areas of his game that are lagging IMHO
Defense remains something that seems to be an afterthought for Bones, except for a few times he really busts it on both ends of the court
his offensive skill is right where it needs to be for a second year player but the other aspects of his game will ultimately tell how much PT he gets

Bones has worked hard to get where he is over the last 10 years, I remain very hopeful he gets to the next level of an everyday starter getting 28-34 minutes of run. it is now on Bones to make those improvements (it ain't his coaches holding him back)

we all want to see him succeed and that infectious smile and laugh

nothing wrong with having an ego. most players do.
True that most players have it. However, the best players succeed without causing chemistry problems. Bones' development isn't high enough where he's at the point that people will put up with troublemaking. He supposedly caused some chemistry problems at VCU and seems he's doing it in the pros too. At VCU he could get away with it, at least in his second year. In the NBA ... not so much.

True that most players have it. However, the best players succeed without causing chemistry problems. Bones' development isn't high enough where he's at the point that people will put up with troublemaking. He supposedly caused some chemistry problems at VCU and seems he's doing it in the pros too. At VCU he could get away with it, at least in his second year. In the NBA ... not so much.
would say lots of the best players cause Chemistry problems in the NBA - but you are right that a player that is a second teamer now doesn't get the free pass.

Bones was 100% in the wrong for just about ALL his issues in Denver...it was kind of sad to see, I hope he learns how to be a professional athlete before his NBA chances flitter away.
100% is pretty harsh, but I think that’s probably close to that.

You have to wonder if he hasn’t had people in his camp giving him good advice, or whether it’s that he doesn’t listen. I know that Isaiah Thomas seems to have a mentoring type of relationship with him.

It’s just a shame. Given his age and upside, he could have been practically a lock for a real nice 2nd contract, even as primarily a 20 minute per game bench player.

I love the kid, but there have been a LOT of rumblings going back to his freshman year about his ego getting in the way of team chemistry.
Most guys at his level have an ego. Its what fuels them. Bones isnt especially out of pocket.

I've learned to give people the benefit of the doubt until I have all the facts. In this case, few of us know the real deal

Therefore, I am riding with Bones on this one unless I learn otherwise.

Most guys at his level have an ego. Its what fuels them. Bones isnt especially out of pocket.

I've learned to give people the benefit of the doubt until I have all the facts. In this case, few of us know the real deal

Therefore, I am riding with Bones on this one unless I learn otherwise.
What I heard was that his ego caused a lot of problems, particularly during his freshman year at VCU. Yes, every premier athlete has an ego, but not everyone's ego causes problems. I still love the guy, but it seems to be an ongoing problem. I hope he can find a balance between confidence and problematic behavior.

Murray dropped 22 in the 4th quarter, they won, and are two games from the finals in which they will probably win.

It looks like they made the right decision.
Maybe so. The Nuggets look good. They might have a problem with depth in the finals if they make it there. They traded for Reggie Jackson who was a key contributor for clippers for years and he washes the towels for Denver. Bones would be on the bench with Nnaji, Ish Smith, Cancar and the rest of the roster. I know he could have toughed it out but things unraveled. That is over now so onward and upward.

Denver could be the best run organization in the league. Only the Bucks have won more games the last 5 years, and have probably drafted better than anyone the last 10 years. They have built a contender exclusively from within without being a destination for free agents, which seems incredibly difficult today. Wasting a late first round pick is not really that big a deal, and they are probably a better team without him.

I have not really followed him in the league. He mentioned “communication problems”. I’m sure they let you know what they want, which is probably not a diva from the 7th or 8th guy off the bench. Play your role and cash the checks, seems simple. Playing for a title contender would seem to make it even easier.

What I heard was that his ego caused a lot of problems, particularly during his freshman year at VCU. Yes, every premier athlete has an ego, but not everyone's ego causes problems. I still love the guy, but it seems to be an ongoing problem. I hope he can find a balance between confidence and problematic behavior.
I think this is a rumor. Bones was a talented freshman. Could the seniors have been the problem? I would not throw all the issues that season on Bones. Seems like a coaching issue to me.

Back