Bones Hyland - NBA Thread

Eh, maybe.

Coaching in the NBA is just so overrated in general. Paul Westhead won a title. Some clown named Nick Nurse rode Leonard to a title. Phil Jackson almost always had the best players in the league when he won. It’s all about managing personalities, which Jackson did very well.

Spoelstra seems like a pretty good coach who gets his guys to play hard, but he’s not making much of a difference when it comes to Xs and Os. It might get his team to game 6 best case.
You waited until it is 3-1 to comment on that post....ha!

I am a Heat fan so I am bias. I watched lots of Nuggets games the last 3 years and I have a love/hate thing for Malone. He is a likable guy. I can be happy for the Nuggets mainly because I like Jokic and Gordon.

Last edited:
If it is the standard thing to give rings out to former players leaving/waiver/released/traded from the team in the year the team wins the championship, then not giving a ring to Bones would be kind of petty, IMO.

If it is the standard thing to give rings out to former players leaving/waiver/released/traded from the team in the year the team wins the championship, then not giving a ring to Bones would be kind of petty, IMO.
It may be standard but most situations dont end sour like theirs did. Troy got one when he got traded from the lakers to the nuggets & the lakers won in the bubble. You never heard anything bad come out about Troy.

I think Bri got one for his couple of 10 day contracts he had with the Warriors one year that they won it... again, you never heard anything bad about Briante while with the warriors.

So it makes sense why they got one... even tho the teams may not have been obligated to give them one. Who knows what Denver will decide to do with Bones in terms of getting a ring or not.

It may seem petty if he doesn't get one... and sure both parties coulda handled things better... but you can't say that Bones' actions didn't at least play a part in not getting one if that ends up being the case.

If Bones doesn't get one, I'd say that's 100% on the front office. Most of the players (not necessarily all) were cool with Bones and knew it was all business and he was trying to handle it as a 2nd year player.

It may seem petty if he doesn't get one... and sure both parties coulda handled things better... but you can't say that Bones' actions didn't at least play a part in not getting one if that ends up being the case.
This assumes that Bones would even want one. He might not. He does not strike me as a participation trophy kind of guy.

If Bones doesn't get one, I'd say that's 100% on the front office. Most of the players (not necessarily all) were cool with Bones and knew it was all business and he was trying to handle it as a 2nd year player.
It might come down to how Mike Malone and Jamal Murray feel about him.

Those things are worth tens of thousands of dollars and sometimes close to $100k. I bet he’d want one.
I bet if someone asked him he would answer. He might not want one.

Oh and out of all the VCU examples Bones contributed quite a bit before he was traded so he is deserving of a ring in my opinion.

Last edited:
I bet if someone asked him he would answer. He might not want one.

Oh and out of all the VCU examples Bones contributed quite a bit before he was traded so he is deserving of a ring in my opinion.
Just put that thing up on auction and some Denver fan would probably pay $100k. Maybe a lot more. Or he could give it to VCU to display at the Stu. :)

He definitely deserves one by the typical NBA standards. We might learn a bit about how nasty the breakup was based on whether he gets one or not.

Back