Bones Hyland - NBA Thread

I always felt that Marcus Evans really never fully recovered from his injury and didn't/couldn't live up to the hype of carrying the team. It was a disappointing year for many as Bones seemed far more capable from the outsiders perspective but MR kept the keys with Evans.
An Achilles rupture is about the worst thing that can happen to an athlete. It’s harder to recover from that an ACL tear. Marcus ruptured both of his Achilles. There’s not much chance to recover from that. I watched Achilles injuries end Ronald Curry’s career (he had 3 of them) and he was a generational talent on the same level as Michael Vick before that happened.

And I’m trying to end the rumor that has been parroted without evidence despite the fact that I’ve said this multiple times.

There is no way Evans’ parents were as supportive of Bones as they were if the rumors are/were true. But people keep parroting this. I sat right there with them for every single game while Marcus was at VCU.
Fair enough, my intention wasn't to continue to give credence to an unsubstantiated claim, rather somebody asks what the rumors were and I told them.

Your proximity to the program is clearly much closer than mine and what you said makes sense. Obviously every player is competitive and wants to start, but at the end of the day everyone is Black and Gold and suggesting the Bones/Evans competition was anything but positive motivation for one another has no real substantial evidence other than board talk.

Fair enough, my intention wasn't to continue to give credence to an unsubstantiated claim, rather somebody asks what the rumors were and I told them.

Your proximity to the program is clearly much closer than mine and what you said makes sense. Obviously every player is competitive and wants to start, but at the end of the day everyone is Black and Gold and suggesting the Bones/Evans competition was anything but positive motivation for one another has no real substantial evidence other than board talk.
In this case, my proximity was just closer to his parents’ seats. They’re two really great people and I remember them cheering for Bones along with everyone else.

I may have heard a story by a former member of the AD who may get a bit chatty after a few cocktails, suggest that none of the above is the answer. There was some chemistry issues in that freshman class was talented, explosive and talkative—there were a couple of upper classmen who did not have the season’s they expected and maybe there were some overly competitive practices that further heightened tensions. Idk, could be what Jamie Foxx said…..but, seems plausible.

Marcus Evans was a good leader who had real bad luck.

Looks like Bones is getting his chance now. Westbrook is out for up to 6 weeks: https://www.https//www.msn.com/en-u...ures-hand-on-his-bobblehead-night/ar-BB1jcKCj
Reserve point guard Bones Hyland could be returning to the rotation. Hyland, who had not played regularly since early November, had seven assists in 16 minutes after Westbrook was injured.

The rumors were he and Marcus Evans constantly butted heads because Bones thought he was better and should be starting and Evans was the senior leader. Many believe this is the main factor behind the 2020 epic late season collapse.
Even if true that Bones caused a rift, how would that affect the entire team that was predicted to do so well to do so poorly? How would those experienced seniors allow that to unravel the whole team?

Reactions: SWV
I always felt that Marcus Evans really never fully recovered from his injury and didn't/couldn't live up to the hype of carrying the team. It was a disappointing year for many as Bones seemed far more capable from the outsiders perspective but MR kept the keys with Evans.
Agreed. Unfortunately Evans was just never the same after the injury. Had to frustrate him to no end when young Bones comes in and lights it up and also becomes a fan favorite.

Bones grew up tough and overcame tragedies in his life. He became the A10 POY as a sophomore and got drafted in the 1st round. He got a year picked up by the Clippers so he is doing well. Fingers crossed for him.
That chip on his shoulder got him to where he is. You have to be professional and play the game within the game but that chip on his shoulder can’t go away or Bones isn’t Bones. He just has to find that balance with is insanely tough at 23 years old. I was an absolute idiot at that age. Bones seems like a guy that will always bet on himself no matter what.

Back