Coach Smart @ T. Miller's TONIGHT

Wish I could go...I want coach Smart to sign my VCU basketball

Great event, here are some random things I recall hearing.

Biggest Surprise: Jay Gavin. Has put up 40,000 ADDITIONAL shots on his own.

Scheduling: Trying to schedule VT/UVA. UVA was close when Bennet first came, now doesn't look as likely. He wants to play high major schools in the future.

I'm sure others will chime in with other bits of info.

xjohnx said:

Scheduling: Trying to schedule VT/UVA. UVA was close when Bennet first came, now doesn't look as likely. He wants to play high major schools in the future.

Probably was very close until the boosters at UVA talked Bennett out of it(my guess as to what happened)

Did he speak on one time money games?

xjohnx said:
40,000...thats no joke, jay will be the biggest surprise to the fans this season!

xjohnx said:

I doubt Va Tech or UVGay will ever scedule to play us as one of their non-conference opponents due to the fact that they don't want to recognize the fact that VCU has become the best best basketball program in the state over the last five years. They wouldn't know how to explain to their alumni that they couldn't beat a non BCS state school without a football program in basketball. I'm afraid the best we could ever hope for is getting a match-up with one of them in the NCAA tournament.

I was there, but it was hard to hear at times. I know I missed some things. Please pass along any thing that you picked up during the interview. I don't really get a chance to go to enough of these events to have something to compare it to but it looked like a great turnout. I was really impressed with T-Millers as well. Hope to have more events there. Could be another option for a future VCU Ram Nation gathering.

Didn't he also mention how Bradford Burgess made the most gains under the new strength and conditioning coach this summer?

Mistachill said:
Didn't he also mention how Bradford Burgess made the most gains under the new strength and conditioning coach this summer?

He did. He said all the guys have bulked up a bit, but Bradford looks like the incredible hulk now.

He had great things to say about Coach Roose, our new strength and conditioning coach. He has worked with 6 different strength coaches and Roose is the best he's ever worked with.

He was also asked what schools we were bumping up against with the most in recruiting, he said that we're bumping in to a lot of SEC schools, which can be difficult because they have some "creative recruiting tactics"

Also mentioned that one guy we are recruiting is taking a visit to an SEC school this weekend and we should hear something soon. I'm assuming he's referring to Payne.

Did anyone ask about our scholarship situation in terms of how many we currently have to offer? I don't remember anyone asking but my attention wasn't on coach Smart 100% of the time.

Back