Coach Stiffler to Notre Dame

I’m gonna try to be optimistic but I feel our run just came to a crashing halt. This feel like Shaka exit but without any back up plan.

Knowing how Ed is when it comes to degree requirements (just based on the Jersey retirement thing).... if he and Brandon Inge could work out a deal (Maybe Inge agrees to finish his degree in a certain amount of time upon being hired).... It could be good for us. Former VCU player, had a solid career in the big leagues, definitely a name most people have heard of.... I'm sure plenty of baseball players would love the opportunity to play for a former Major Leaguer.

Ed is not the one that put the degree requirement in place. Pretty sure its always been part of the job description for head coaches. Regarding jerseys, that requirement goes way back before Ed. It took Kendrick Warren 10 years to get his degree and his jersey was raised to the rafters that evening. Edmond Sherod never got his degree, and that's the only reason his jersey still isn't in the rafters.

I’m gonna try to be optimistic but I feel our run just came to a crashing halt. This feel like Shaka exit but without any back up plan.

I disagree. The last three head baseball coaches (Tony Guzzo, Paul Keyes, Shawn Stiffler) at VCU have been very successful. All three have also had their challenges, whether it be conference affiliation and/or facilities. The VCU baseball program has never been in as good of shape as it is now regarding current facilities and future facilities. Stiffler did not build this program from the ground up. He was handed the keys to a very successful program and then made it even better.

VCU baseball needs to sell its post season success and regular season OOC competition/success against top tier programs to any prospective coaches vs. the fact that the program is in the A-10. This last year, 34 of VCU's 62 games were OOC games, including games against the likes of Ole Miss, Wake Forest, Liberty, East Carolina, Maryland, fodu, UVA, Georgia and UNC. Scheduling games of that caliber more than compensates for VCU being in the A-10.

Back