Coaching Search: Update- Bradley LeCroy has been selected

Notre Dame stole Voltz too I believe. Realistically I’m hoping we recover in 3-5 seasons. The chances of landing a hot shot coach that can instantly rebuild is slim to none.

Dang it.... yup just saw this........ very last paragraph

"The news comes just over a week after a report from Rogers that Stiffler would bring on VCU’s Seth Cutler-Voltz to manage the Irish pitching staff. Last season was Cutler-Voltz’s first as the pitching coach for the Rams, and he led his pitching staff to a 3.91 team ERA, which ranked No. 9 nationally. Ironically, Notre Dame had the same team ERA. The VCU pitchers posted a 1.29 WHIP, struck out 518 batters and walked 191. Opponents hit .244 against them."

Dang it.... yup just saw this........ very last paragraph

"The news comes just over a week after a report from Rogers that Stiffler would bring on VCU’s Seth Cutler-Voltz to manage the Irish pitching staff. Last season was Cutler-Voltz’s first as the pitching coach for the Rams, and he led his pitching staff to a 3.91 team ERA, which ranked No. 9 nationally. Ironically, Notre Dame had the same team ERA. The VCU pitchers posted a 1.29 WHIP, struck out 518 batters and walked 191. Opponents hit .244 against them."

Yep. We so basically we loss our coach and our assistant coaches. We’ve had multiple major players leave and more likely leaving along with our recruits. Wade leaving the way he did years ago hurt but we had a plan. This one I’m not sure we ever recover tbh unless we pull off a major hire.I really hate saying that. Feels like one of the most consistent programs in the nation overnight has been reduced to rubble.

It seems it has taken a while so far. I think Coach Stiffler was hired by Notre Dame over two weeks ago (July 12, 2022). I guess my experience with VCU and replacing coaches has been faster than this. I think when Shaka left the basketball team and was replaced by Wade and when Wade left and was replaced by Rhoades, it was quicker than this. Also, it was out of necessity that Coach Stiffler be named head coach of the baseball team very quickly when Coach Keyes unfortunately passed away in 2012. I have heard Kurt Elbin’s name mentioned. He was an assistant here a few years ago and then went to be an assistant at Va Tech. Seth Cutler-Voltz is the pitching coach. He has no head coaching experience but maybe he will get an interview. I hope they go with an insider or former VCU player or coach. I don’t want an outsider. I feel the program could lose their identity and culture with an outsider. Keyes and Stiffler put their stamp on the program since 1995 (Keyes) and 2012 (Stiffler). That’s 27 years of culture. Coach Stiffler left this program in a great spot (facilities like the locker room and indoor practice facility, two straight A10 tournament titles and NCAA Tournament appearances). The program has momentum. Recruiting has gotten very good, we had a 2nd round MLB draft pick this year. It does seem it has taken a while to hear who the next head coach will be. Ed and company may be meticulously combing through resumes, weighing their options, and doing interviews. This is a big hire for the athletic department. I feel the longer the search goes on, incoming recruits and current players may start to become complacent, however, and may transfer.

Shaka left Ed built in "successors" for the basketball program. All Ed had to do was basically "plug and play" from Shaka's tree. Not the case in this situation. Ed has to beat the bushes this time to find a head coach.

Seth Cutler-Voltz is a great dude. Know him personally, dating back to High School when he was at Henrico, and I was at Lee-Davis (Now Mechanicsville HS) & talk to him a decent amount. If he got the job I'd be ecstatic for him.

Not sure who all they're considering but they def gotta move quick.

I'm still hoping for Jeff Palumbo at ECU. He was an assistant here prior to going to ECU. Palumbo is currently the Associate Head Coach at ECU. He should be at the top of Ed's list for sure.

Day 17. Maybe we will hear something today. Tuesday will be 3 weeks without a head coach - plus we don’t have a pitching coach or recruiting coordinator/assistant coach.

I’m guessing the people on Ed’s short list didn’t want the job so he has to dig deeper.
This may sound crazy…. But I feel like an AD should have a list of at least 10-15 candidates at all times incase of anything…. Coach up & leaving for another job, retirement, passing away, or incase of a mid season firing.

Obviously some assistants should/could be on the list…. Maybe even label one the Associate HC or HC in waiting… just incase of emergencies

I’m guessing the people on Ed’s short list didn’t want the job so he has to dig deeper.
The deeper Ed digs (or the longer this drags on) … you gotta wonder if VCU starts scraping the “bottom of the barrel” …

Bradley Lecroy, Clemson Assistant, to become Manager of Rams.

Known as one of the nation’s elite recruiters, he reeled in the No. 5 class in the nation for the Tigers in 2012, per Collegiate Baseball. His 2013 recruiting class for Clemson was rated as the No. 16 class in the nation, per Baseball America. LeCroy’s elite recruiting acumen was a big reason why he was rated one of the top assistant coaches in the country by Baseball America before the 2013 season.

I know it took awhile, but this seems like a really solid hire...I love that recruiting acumen aspect. He was an assistant for 15 years at Clemson.

I know it took awhile, but this seems like a really solid hire...I love that recruiting acumen aspect. He was an assistant for 15 years at Clemson.

I agree, I think this is a very good hire. He is widely known as an elite recruiter. His 2022 class ended up being ranked #6 in the nation. He will need to put those skills to work ASAP because in the age of free agency losing a coach of any major program is going to make things difficult for a time. We talked about this on the basketball threads when the portal rules were watered down. I thought at the time God help you when you lose a coach in any major sport. You may lose the majority of your team before you can rehire unless you have someone In house. That said, besides some of the uninformed comments with respect to the coaching search it takes time to get the right guy moving forward. You can't circumvent the process.

Back