Congrats guys

I didn't see a congratulatory thread on the board and if there is one somewhere I apologize.

Congrats on laying a whooping on us, VCU fans. It looked like we were heading towards this, as we should have been blown out by a Richmond team that was having an off-night last Monday. Not to discredit VCU's play, but we are playing awful, fundamentally poor basketball right now. We have been hovering around the 20-turnover mark nearly all of our last month's worth of games, and I'm afraid the team is starting to quit on our coach.

To be honest, the fans are quitting on him too. For the first time, there was a "Should we fire Benny?" poll on our zone board, and a minority of the fans are saying "keep him", with many only willing to give him until the end of the year to turn it around.

But enough about our troubles, this thread is about VCU. I've been HIGHLY impressed with your play of late, and with ODU going down to Mason, you guys are looking like the primary challenger to William & Mary.

Again, congrats and good luck the rest of the season!

Thanks, I have already started to worry about playing @ UNCW after ya'll were able to hang a loss on us last year following a blowout at home. For what it's worth VCU fans are even in favor of the firing of Moss.

Yeah, I noticed the comments about the sign. I know a lot of you thought it was classless, but heck, he deserves the criticism, and we deserve to take our lumps. This was just a horrific performance.

I feel bad for you guys. You guys are probably the classiest fanbase in the CAA, win or lose. It must be tough to watch this team after having so many successful seasons just a short time ago. I hope you guys can figure it out. We've certainly been on the end of some similar types of games when Brett Blizzard and John Goldsberry roamed these parts. The Dub deserves better than they are getting and I for one hope they turn it around, and soon.

Thanks for the classy congratulations, I know it must be tough after a game like that.

Seahawk Nation 08 said:
Yeah, I noticed the comments about the sign. I know a lot of you thought it was classless, but heck, he deserves the criticism, and we deserve to take our lumps. This was just a horrific performance.
There was a chant as well, but I saw it more as a they used to be one of our toughest rivals and we would like for it to be that way again sort of thing.

districtballer said:
I feel bad for you guys. You guys are probably the classiest fanbase in the CAA, win or lose. It must be tough to watch this team after having so many successful seasons just a short time ago. I hope you guys can figure it out. We've certainly been on the end of some similar types of games when Brett Blizzard and John Goldsberry roamed these parts. The Dub deserves better than they are getting and I for one hope they turn it around, and soon.

Thanks for the classy congratulations, I know it must be tough after a game like that.

Thanks, DB. I have no animosity towards VCU and never have. Its those bastards from ODU where my wrath lies. :lol:

As for the state of our program, its getting to be a pretty helpless feeling. I don't mean to whine or play the victim, but its just an awful feeling remembering the days where we were the top dog and now looking at how far we've fallen. I was at our NCAA Tournament game where George Washington came back on us despite an 18-point lead, and we lost in OT. While I was in despair after that loss, at least we thought we had a great future under Brownell. Little did we know that our brilliant chancellor and AD would screw it all up.

Now, nothing is the same. The team plays soft, and even the fans are soft. They leave early without hesitation or the customary heckling from fans sticking around. They wait for the team to do something well before cheering loudly, not the other way around. The body language and mental toughness of the team are lousy. It's really quite sad.

We do have a lot of programs to be proud of at UNCW. Both of our soccer teams won CAA titles this fall, and our baseball team promises to be a team that could compete for the Super Regionals in the spring. But basketball has always been our pride and joy, and besides, we're all just waiting for the other shoe to drop and our idiotic higher-ups to ruin the other programs too.

It's quite sad, indeed.

SN08. We have been on the wrong side of the scoreboard too. :lol:

But thanks. Always nice to hear from guests at the nation.

Yah you cannot blame the Villa Seven for Benny Moss. Look at most hires and you see that usually the assistant coach is coming from a solid basketball school (Read ACC, SEC, Big East, Pac-10, etc.). Have to blame that crap AD for hiring an assistant from the basketball powerhouse UNC-Charlotte, which while they arguably have a consistent program for a mid-major benny can't go into a recruits living room and say we are going to win like I did at Florida, or UCLA or Texas, etc.

Nobody is trying to blame the Villa 7!!! I simply responded to the suggestion that they try to use it with the statement that they did and wound up with Moss. Factual statement! No coaching hire is ever something that comes with the guarantee of success!

Truth be told, the anger towards Benny is slightly misguided. Our overall woes in basketball point directly at the Chancellor. Nevertheless, I hate to see a team just QUIT on the court like they did against you guys.

I'm willing to give Benny until the end of the season, for sure. He's earned that. His players do well in the classroom, and he doesn't have a corrupt bone in his body. If he has any character flaws, its that he sees good in players he should stay away from. Several players he's gotten to transfer from D-1 or the JUCO route have gotten into trouble, namely Wake transfer Kevin Swinton (who got kicked out of school for an undisclosed reason, but which inside sources say was pretty bad and deserving).

He also has found himself dealing with players with poor attitudes, like Montez Downey, Dominique Lacy, and Kevon Moore (who transferred to Niagara last year). This speaks to Benny having a bit of a soft nature to him, which is diametrically opposite of Brownell.

Benny makes an excellent assistant coach, but he's a bit over his head as the man in charge.

Back