David Shriver Is One Badass Ram!

Anyone hear the Shriver interview at the end of the GW game. Was pretty good. Said he'd never been on a team that is so together as a group both on and off the court. Said he was having the best time of his life this year. Also talked about his path to VCU and what happened when he got the VCU call at Hartford.
Robby asked him what was the first thing he did after he got the call from MR while at Hartford. Said he went straight to talk with his dad the very first thing as his father was up there visiting (or something along those lines). Said his father kept up with a lot of teams, basketball history, team stats, etc. When he told his dad VCU had called to recruit him.........well, his explanation it didn't work for radio because all you here is David saying he told his dad VCU called and his father looked at him like "...." and then your hear Robby and Ashby both laugh. I am assuming David's father looked him with stunned surprised and a look like, 'that's where you are going. no debate. It's VCU!'
Was a really great post-game interview.
Is there a link to this interview?

David has to be living his dream right about now. While we are not a "P5" program, we do have a 20+ year history of winning and post-season play with some very strong teams. Plus he is actually contributing and playing about 20 minutes/game. The kid has to be thrilled. And to be honest, I am thrilled he is playing for us. He has actually won us a couple of games this season with his shooting and good defensive work.
In fact, I can't believe how lucky we were this year. All three of our transfers have been positive contributors for us this season.....don't know when the last it was that that happened. From the stories told, it sounds like all three of our transfers were made based on previous connection to the players or through trusted coaching connections

Shriver has done lots of little things on the defensive end that have sparked plays. He doesn't foul, he grabs rebounds, and he's caused turnovers. I'd say he wouldn't be on the floor nearly as much if MR didn't feel he was a decent defender.

Shriver has done lots of little things on the defensive end that have sparked plays. He doesn't foul, he grabs rebounds, and he's caused turnovers. I'd say he wouldn't be on the floor nearly as much if MR didn't feel he was a decent defender.
I don’t know…he was getting killed when the isolated him against Bailey…but he does play hard

The Athletic piece on Shriver dropped today.
THIS is what I'm here for.

“The average person can relate to him because he’s had to work so hard to get where he’s gotten,” said Randy Shriver, David’s father. “He doesn’t take it for granted. He doesn’t feel entitled. You know, those are the kinds of people that the average person likes to root for.”

I don’t know…he was getting killed when the isolated him against Bailey…but he does play hard
Yeah he’s not always gonna be the best defender on the court, but he does make an impact when when he gets a chance.

Last edited:
at the start of the season, his defense was poor. I thought he played good defense yesterday. He blocked out so others could get the D-RB. Go 3-Bird!

at the start of the season, his defense was poor. I thought he played good defense yesterday. He blocked out so others could get the D-RB. Go 3-Bird!
Agree, but he probably wasnt asked to play as much of it at lower levels, plus he's had to adjust to better athletes. But he has totally improved. The effort and size are there, and a basic grasp of our concepts. He seemed to be a little lost on D early on.

I would say he's a weakness on the defensive end, but it's relative. We have so many great defenders where else is the opposition going to attack? It's something we can definitely live with if he's hitting threes. Plus, he's a big body that bang with opponent's bigs.

Back