DB's ECU Preview: The Return of Big Mack

Anybody notice how much calmer Mack seemed tonight? Not to mention, I thought he did a pretty good job of keeping ECU in the game, despite some foul trouble. That and I didn't hear a single curse word.

You guys weren't kidding about his weight. He's put on a few pounds since he came here from coaching the Mocs (and then some).

Pavarotti said:
Anybody notice how much calmer Mack seemed tonight? Not to mention, I thought he did a pretty good job of keeping ECU in the game, despite some foul trouble. That and I didn't hear a single curse word.

Agreed. He seems to have mellowed down a bit. He was also well-mannered and highly complimentary during the post-game presser as well.

I know Pav certainly noticed this as well and I'm not sure who else did.....there were several points throughout the game when you would catch Mac looking around the arena taking in the atmosphere with a smile on his face. When the place went nuts when we finally pulled within 1 late in the game, had just scored on 2-3 straight possessions, and went on D with a chance for a stop and then a shot at the lead, he was at the end of the ECU bench closest to the student section just looking around and taking it all in. He certainly has a lot of pride in not only what he accomplished at VCU, but in what has been accomplished here since he left!

VCU4LIFE said:
I know Pav certainly noticed this as well and I'm not sure who else did.....there were several points throughout the game when you would catch Mac looking around the arena taking in the atmosphere with a smile on his face. When the place went nuts when we finally pulled within 1 late in the game, had just scored on 2-3 straight possessions, and went on D with a chance for a stop and then a shot at the lead, he was at the end of the ECU bench closest to the student section just looking around and taking it all in. He certainly has a lot of pride in not only what he accomplished at VCU, but in what has been accomplished here since he left!

It's too bad that we didn't handle them for 40 min the way we did the Sooners. Capel really had a chance to take it all in.

From what I have read it seems like Mack did some good things while he was here and had a respectable record although his faults have been mentioned as well. Just based on what I have read from others without being around for the McCarthy tenure it seems like he was a good addition and did some needed things when he came in and stayed just long enough before moving on. Good call by the AD. Kinda wish Mack would have hung around after the game so I could personally thank him for the dance team.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
It's too bad that we didn't handle them for 40 min the way we did the Sooners. Capel really had a chance to take it all in.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

VCU Finance 2008 said:
From what I have read it seems like Mack did some good things while he was here and had a respectable record although his faults have been mentioned as well. Just based on what I have read from others without being around for the McCarthy tenure it seems like he was a good addition and did some needed things when he came in and stayed just long enough before moving on. Good call by the AD. Kinda wish Mack would have hung around after the game so I could personally thank him for the dance team.

Again, you will never hear me talk poorly about the guy. I think his demeanor with his players was kinda sorta what was needed with the teams that he had. People have talked about the "behavior" (on-court) of the players we had during his tenure, and I think those types of guys needed a tough guy to lead them. Sure you get into the argument of "did he really recruit the type of guys that we want representing VCU" but my answer to that is that he brought in guys with more talent than what we had when he got here, and we were stuck in a position of did we want to bring in nice guy losers or bad guy "thugball" winners? The good guys with talent simply didn't want to be at VCU then. He did what he had to in order to get us moving in a WINNING direction, and as you have stated, when we were ready to take that next step, that included making a move at the head coaching position. That move was absolutely made for the right reasons and at the right time, and that is certainly made very clear by looking at where we are now!

If you wanted to thank someone for the dance team, Mac's wife was behind the ECU bench all night!

VCU4LIFE said:
If you wanted to thank someone for the dance team, Mac's wife was behind the ECU bench all night!

Didn't notice her, I was busy watching the dance team. Oh, and the game too.

I know, I was just messin' with ya.....a few of us did stick around and chat with Coach Mac briefly before he went over to do his radio interviews.

I thank Big Mac for getting our program turned around...I wish him NOTHING but the best at ECU.

I feel the same way about Capel.

I hope to feel the same way about Grant. :lol:

VCUBeatsduke

20 bucks says the ECU bus stopped at Lee's Chicken on Broad by the Science Museum before it left town for Greenville.

DickLawRam said:
20 bucks says the ECU bus stopped at Lee's Chicken on Broad by the Science Museum before it left town for Greenville.

Sorry RamMobile, we don't get those leftovers anymore :(

Pavarotti said:
DickLawRam said:

Sorry RamMobile, we don't get those leftovers anymore :(

Thank God for that...I would have long ago succumbed to heart disease...and thanks for using the wrong name. This ain't the zone, buddy!

Back