Dear Shaka and Larry,

Allen Eastman

Elite Member
Shaka, you have more depth than this team has had in more years than I can think of. How about stressing defense and initiating a successful full court press? Larry is not an f'n swingman, you'd think he was a shooting guard out there. With him and Skeen/Saintil/KP down low we should not be giving the opposition as many 2nd chance opportunities. We should absolutely be dominating the boards. Larry, you are 83" tall ... you do not need to fade away on every shot. You have many options (IE: go straight up and over or get fouled, a hookshot, or maybe even learn a few post moves from someone like Jamie). Your long range field goal percentage is atrocious. This is not the NBA; you have one more year left to grow as a player. If VCU is going to be successful the remainder of the year you have to not only be a team player, but a leader as well. On the defensive end, don't be afraid to play a little defense. Yes you may pick up a few fouls but you are allowed to do more than keep your arms straight up in the air until someone else has grabbed the ball. As long as you don't pick up stupid reach in fouls at the top of the key you will be fine. Every team has noticed that you are so scared to pick up fouls and are staying straight up that they are just going to the left and right of you every time for easy buckets.

On another note, has anyone noticed the difference in our squad with KP on the bench? As much as you may want a scorer or crowd pleaser in there we need his rigid body in there on the glass. He seems to be our best battler down low while Larry has been hanging out in NBA world 20 feet away from the basket. Don't get me wrong here, I am as big of a Larry fan as all of you... I'm just telling it as I see it. Larry is averaging 14.7/8.1, whereas I believe he should be averaging 12.0/18.0.

I'd like to end my rambling with saying something that I never thought I'd say: Keep it up Joey! Not only has he shown the most hustle (along with B-Roz) on the offensive/defensive ends, he is really starting to come along as his pg experience continues.

Allen Eastman

Yes, it is obviously a little exaggeration but that is your only response from my rant? Please take off those VCU Blinders!

NickGeorge21VCU said:
Expecting anyone to average 18 rebounds is a joke.

I don't know, as poorly as we have shot recently 18 rebounds isn't such a far reach, provided he was anywhere near the f-ing basket... and this thread really does kinda blow...

This thread brought to you by
draft_lens1957075module9243266photo_1208983673Department_of_Redundancy_Department.gif

I think Mr Eastman makes valid points. If Larry focuses on his God given talent, a defensive, shot blocking and rebounding machine he would be a much better player. He could get just as many points on put backs as he does on fade-aways and jumpers. After all, his defense is what made the NBA scouts interested in the beginning.

Blackmagic804 said:
I think Mr Eastman makes valid points. If Larry focuses on his God given talent, a defensive, shot blocking and rebounding machine he would be a much better player. He could get just as many points on put backs as he does on fade-aways and jumpers. After all, his defense is what made the NBA scouts interested in the beginning.

so 2-4 points on put backs...

I really thought the original poster meant 18 and 12 and cant believe he meant the other way around :roll:

I read a lot of posts on here and there is a lot of bs, but I think this three time poster has some very valid points to make. In fact much more than a lot of the crap that has been on here lately. Some of you guys act like it is sacrilege to criticize anything the rams are doing.

His point about KP is particularly interesting, I think. He was a two year starter for Grant and now barely sees the court? Anyway, right or wrong, give the guy a break.

Welcome to the boards allen. Hope you keep speaking up.

look you guys don't get it, we are floundering in all aspects at this time. the team needs to see that everyone has now scouted us and can see our weaknesses. I know that I am going to get alot of bs over this, but you know i'm right. someone show me that I am wrong. I just want us to finish in the top 4 in the CAA, and the team will take it from there.

Not a bad post.

This is particularly on spot...

Allen Eastman said:
Larry, you are 83" tall ... you do not need to fade away on every shot. You have many options (IE: go straight up and over or get fouled, a hookshot, or maybe even learn a few post moves from someone like Jamie).......If VCU is going to be successful the remainder of the year you have to not only be a team player, but a leader as well. On the defensive end, don't be afraid to play a little defense. Yes you may pick up a few fouls but you are allowed to do more than keep your arms straight up in the air until someone else has grabbed the ball. As long as you don't pick up stupid reach in fouls at the top of the key you will be fine. Every team has noticed that you are so scared to pick up fouls and are staying straight up that they are just going to the left and right of you every time for easy buckets.

I'll add this, which I don't know if a lot of others have noticed...on the defenisve end, how about making more of an effort to get in good position and grab the rebound. Half of the time, the shot goes up and I see you releasing in hope of getting one of those snow birds at the other end. There are opportunities for this, but that doesn't mean leaving the other guys back to do the dirty work before the ball has been secured.

Allen Eastman said:
Yes, it is obviously a little exaggeration but that is your only response from my rant? Please take off those VCU Blinders!

Oh, there are valid points in the post. I was joking about the thread, since we already have a constant stream of threads on here that are Shaka and Larry debates.

Also, if you've read this board for a few weeks you would know that I don't own a pair of "gold blinders". I have pointed out the lack of discipline and smarts that we are seeing from Smart's team from the beginning, even when we were winning. So to be honest, I am not surprised with the recent losses.

Good vibes to Shaka and team tomorrow as I know they want to do better. IMO the best sign would be VCU winning and Brad putting up 25 points and 8 'bounds. We need someone to take the reigns and consistently be THE MAN. Given Brad's last game he is as good a candidate as anyone. Look what Austin Miles did for the Dallas Cowboys this season...I think Brad is the best candidate to go on a tear and be the basketball equivalent for the Rams. Brad definitely "Cowboy'd Up" last game. :lol:

I don't really have a problem with being critical, and I think the OP made some valid points...

...valid points that have already been made by many other posters in dozens and dozens of previous posts in multiple other threads.

I'm not sure if the idea is that the twentieth, or hundredth, or thousandth time one of us comments about Larry needing to do this, that, or the other, a magic spell will kick in and make it all happen ...or that the head coach, the assistant coaches, and the players are all looking to us, their invaluable Internet brain-trust, to work up the solutions to all their problems on our scientifical chalkboards of formulas and theorems. I get that there needs to be venting, and I get the need to critique, and since this poster is new (or at least the screen name is), I can see cutting plenty of slack... but we're not all brilliant and unique snowflakes, and when others have already said the same things and/or made the same points, maybe a simple "well said" or "agreed" or even "this" will suffice (or, god forbid, simply agree in silence).

Or maybe the 30th Larry-criticizing thread starter wins a free pizza or something and I just didn't get the memo.

artRAMinMN said:
Or maybe the 30th Larry-criticizing thread starter wins a free pizza or something and I just didn't get the memo.

art wins the "what should replace the crappy halftime game" award

Good points BlackMag and G. Larry needs to play more D and not be the focus of our offense. We have others to be? What is the secret formula Coach Smart?

Back