Discuss among yourselves....

As long as it doesn't mean we lose at Hampton, then who cares?

Although I agree that the intensity was partly due to the shock the team went through last Wednesday, I think a big scare at WMU would have been enough. Man I wish we didn't let that game slip. It's going to hurt us eventually.

mrCAA said:
Although I agree that the intensity was partly due to the shock the team went through last Wednesday, I think a big scare at WMU would have been enough. Man I wish we didn't let that game slip. It's going to hurt us eventually.

We just have to hope the Broncos have a good season. I don't think that will happen realistically...but we can always hope. We always have a couple of inexplicable losses every season. We're not realistically looking at an at-large at this point...if we're going to the NCAA tournament it's gonna be 3 days at the Coliseum that's gonna get us there. We have as good a shot as anyone in that environment.

districtballer said:
mrCAA said:

We just have to hope the Broncos have a good season. I don't think that will happen realistically...but we can always hope. We always have a couple of inexplicable losses every season. We're not realistically looking at an at-large at this point...if we're going to the NCAA tournament it's gonna be 3 days at the Coliseum that's gonna get us there. We have as good a shot as anyone in that environment.

well then clearly we should just rest the guys until late February ...whew, no need to risk injury playing actual games

Do you think realistically we have a shot at an at-large? :shock:

We play the games for a reason...so we can grow as a team game by game and become better players by the time the tournament rolls around. We want to put ourselves in the best position possible to win at the Coliseum. We want to get that #1 seed if possible, we want to be playing our best ball come March. That takes growth and learning experiences both at home and in hostile environments.

I just don't think it's realistic to expect us to garner the 3rd at-large bid in the history of the CAA this year with the schedule we have and our tendency to drop games that we ought to win (past history indicates we may have a couple of other WTF? losses before the season's over). The CAA also looks like it will be a gauntlet with Georgia State possibly getting Rashanti Harris eligible, George Mason young but improving every game, JMU having Denzel Bowles become eligible, and ODU looking very strong with surprisingly decent guard play as of late. Northeastern's defense will also keep them in every game they play in-conference and we have to play them at Matthew's this year.

districtballer said:

We play the games for a reason...so we can grow as a team game by game and become better players by the time the tournament rolls around. We want to put ourselves in the best position possible to win at the Coliseum. We want to get that #1 seed if possible, we want to be playing our best ball come March. That takes growth and learning experiences both at home and in hostile environments.

I just don't think it's realistic to expect us to garner the 3rd at-large bid in the history of the CAA this year with the schedule we have and our tendency to drop games that we ought to win (past history indicates we may have a couple of other WTF? losses before the season's over). The CAA also looks like it will be a gauntlet with Georgia State possibly getting Rashanti Harris eligible, George Mason young but improving every game, JMU having Denzel Bowles become eligible, and ODU looking very strong with surprisingly decent guard play as of late. Northeastern's defense will also keep them in every game they play in-conference and we have to play them at Matthew's this year.

This is our strongest schedule in quite a while!

districtballer said:

I don't know if any team from the CAA should ever think that it has a realistic shot at an at-large, but every once in a while something happens by the end of the season that maybe didn't seem realistic at the beginning of the season. We're still only 3 games in. As of now, we only have one loss. Will we have more? Yeah, probably, but we haven't yet. I realize the WMU loss is seen as a particularly bad loss, at least as of now. But to think that that one loss, in a vacuum, erased any possibility of consideration way down the road is silly. Yes, that loss coupled with additional losses will/may have that effect, but those losses haven't happened yet, so why rush them? Everybody seems to want to be a Kreskin and stake claim to future told-you-so cred, rather than just enjoy the basketball, see what unfolds from the actual results, and ride the lightning.

artRAMinMN said:
districtballer said:

I don't know if any team from the CAA should ever think that it has a realistic shot at an at-large, but every once in a while something happens by the end of the season that maybe didn't seem realistic at the beginning of the season. We're still only 3 games in. As of now, we only have one loss. Will we have more? Yeah, probably, but we haven't yet. I realize the WMU loss is seen as a particularly bad loss, at least as of now. But to think that that one loss, in a vacuum, erased any possibility of consideration way down the road is silly. Yes, that loss coupled with additional losses will/may have that effect, but those losses haven't happened yet, so why rush them? Everybody seems to want to be a Kreskin and stake claim to future told-you-so cred, rather than just enjoy the basketball, see what unfolds from the actual results, and ride the lightning.

A fair point to be sure, but our schedule while strong by our standards compared to the recent past, is not really that strong for at-large consideration. Of course I can't predict how our opponents will fare this season. I say that based mainly on preseason rankings of teams. We've already played Oklahoma and the only other top 50 team we play is ODU (and they are top 50 depending on who you talk to). We may get another top 50 team in the Bracketbuster if we play great ball. Who knows? If the past is any indication though, we'll lose a couple of games to teams we shouldn't lose to, and that itself will take us out of contention. We have very little margin for error in the CAA, and we are still an inexperienced team trying to figure out our identity post-Maynor. I wouldn't put money on us getting an at-large. I am far more confident that we will be one of, if not the scariest team come CAA tourney time.

VCU4LIFE said:

I'm going to get blasted for this, but why is our schedule deemed so great this season?

We have OU, Nevada and Rhode Island. We played all these teams last year, plus some other nationally recognized teams at the beginning of the season. It seems to me that our OOC schedule was better the last couple of seasons.

You won't get blasted by me. I completely agree with you. Our schedule is strong by our standards, but it's not going to impress too many people on the NCAA selection committee unless we win all of them and are on the bubble. Oklahoma is a signature win, but the rest of the games we play (with the obvious exception of the unknown bracketbuster opponent) are simply nice possible top 100 games. It would be nice if some of our opponents become world-beaters and become top 50 teams, but I don't think any realistic observer expects that to happen.

mrCAA said:
VCU4LIFE said:

I'm going to get blasted for this, but why is our schedule deemed so great this season?

We have OU, Nevada and Rhode Island. We played all these teams last year, plus some other nationally recognized teams at the beginning of the season. It seems to me that our OOC schedule was better the last couple of seasons.
You are right, but I think what people are most excited about is that our biggest OOC games (Oklahoma, Nevada, Rhode Island, UR, Bracketbuster) are all at home this year giving us a better chance to win them. Our schedule is strong, but somewhat par for the course over the past few years, but this could turn out to be the strongest home schedule we have ever had.

mrCAA said:
VCU4LIFE said:

UR and Nevada are both MUCH better this year than they were last year. Oklahoma lost Griffin and isn't the top 10 and Elite Eight team they were last year, but they are still a top 25 team (may not be now, but will be by the end of the year). We do need to put ourselves in as good of a position as possible to draw a big time game in the Bracket Buster - as we have seen in the past, if you don't draw one of the top handful of games, you may end up drawing a game that can only hurt.

Best home schedule in awhile but that's it.

If we go 16-2 in the CAA and make it to the tourney championship game (and lose) plus we beat OU (done), UR, URI, ECU, Nevada (2nd best win?) and ODU (should have decent RPI) and draw a top Bracketbuster team (Sienna?) and beat them. Then, we might have an at-large shot. Also, this assumes WMU is our worst loss. Otherwise Shaka's gonna have to work some magic in the cold confines of the Richmond Coliseum if he wants to waltz this year. Frankly, if ODU can beat Mizzu and Georgetown they would have the best chance of losing in the CAA tourney and getting an at-large.

Rambunctious said:
Best home schedule in awhile but that's it.

If we go 16-2 in the CAA and make it to the tourney championship game (and lose) plus we beat OU (done), UR, URI, ECU, Nevada (2nd best win?) and ODU (should have decent RPI) and draw a top Bracketbuster team (Sienna?) and beat them. Then, we might have an at-large shot. Also, this assumes WMU is our worst loss. Otherwise Shaka's gonna have to work some magic in the cold confines of the Richmond Coliseum if he wants to waltz this year. Frankly, if ODU can beat Mizzu and Georgetown they would have the best chance of losing in the CAA tourney and getting an at-large.
Not criticizing you Rambunctious, but why are we worrying about "IFS"? Lets let Shaka and the team play the season, and leave the rest up to fate. Just Win and everything works out.

Back