Donte Williams to visit VCU this Saturday

Scouts shows VCU as only school with an official visit date, but sometimes those boards aren't updated/accurate.

Question: Has Williams offically visited any of the other schools who have offered? If not, any insights as to why?

[This may have already been answered on RamNation, but I don't recall].

Not sure what our chances are to get a verbal but the kid has talent

ahh yes something to look forward to this weekend

hopefully Donte and his family find VCU and the city of Richmond to be the perfect fit

I assume Coach Jones, being from UGA, might have the inside track on recruitng Donte

Good luck coaches

Donte would be a serious get for the Rams. As reported earlier, he is a 3-Star recruit on Rivals and is the 17th ranked Center on ESPN with a rating of 90. Obviously, you are very highly regarded when you carry those numbers.

He appears to be a clone of Larry in that he is a very long 6'9"and is still growing. Although he needs to add weight and strength to his frame he has tremendous upside. His motor is always running and because of his athleticism and his ability to move laterally he is known to a very good defender.

Definitely a nice big who is already sporting offers from a couple of SEC programs.

vcu_dan said:
leave the pharmacy advisor at home...oops did I say that

Seriously, it never happened. I confirmed this with NUMEROUS sources tonight.

xjohnx said:
vcu_dan said:

I was just messin...besides he isn't even going after pharmacy I don't believe.

vcu_dan said:
xjohnx said:
vcu_dan said:

I was just messin...besides he isn't even going after pharmacy I don't believe.

Well the kids we recruit, I mean they are professional athletes after school.

I'm not gonna say this is a make or break kind of "get"....but at this time of the recruiting season, there is an absolute scarcity of Centers ( or Center "types") available....let alone Centers who would consider VCU.

Hopefully Donte finds the comfort, support, and oppurtunity he's looking for in Richmond.

I agree.

A player can develop into a star if they are surrounded by good opportunities, which include right coaches, able to get some playing time, playing on a competitive level and by getting national exposure. VCU offers all of the above for Donte.

But with all that being said, we need a talented recruit with height. Since there are very few tall, 6'9", guys left we really need to get one on board. Donte may not be the most highly ranked player, or ranked as high as Damontre Harris or Michael Bradley, we have had on campus but he obviously has talent and height.

You may disagree but he and or Cady are must gets at this point. Since Donte is coming in this weekend lets pray he falls in love with us and becomes a Ram.

I'm predicting Williams commits by Sunday evening. With Bradley out the way, we can put the full court press on Williams and make him the new co-#1 target (along with Lulane). I'm thinking we have a better shot with Williams since we're getting the most recent visit. It would be sweet if they both committed to us, but I have a feeling Williams will be the guy. According to Justin Young he and Lulane are pretty comparable.

The big mystery is the extra scholarship according to Payne and us being at the top of his list. Surprised nobody asked coach how many scholarships we have available for 2010.

Mistachill said:
I'm predicting Williams commits by Sunday evening. With Bradley out the way, we can put the full court press on Williams and make him the new co-#1 target (along with Lulane). I'm thinking we have a better shot with Williams since we're getting the most recent visit. It would be sweet if they both committed to us, but I have a feeling Williams will be the guy. According to Justin Young he and Lulane are pretty comparable.

The big mystery is the extra scholarship according to Payne and us being at the top of his list. Surprised nobody asked coach how many scholarships we have available for 2010.

As i said the other night, if we have two I will be greedy and say I would love to add both Williams and Lalanne.

Mistachill said:
I don't know that he could have or would have answered that. Officially we have zero. Larry leaving early would put us at 1, but if we do have 2 it would either have to be due to a player leaving or a former scholarship player playing as a walk on. If it was a player leaving I can't really see him commenting on that, and if it was the walk on situation that would have probably already been mentioned by now if they were planning on making it public. Either way, I would like to see Donte Williams commit this weekend. It would be good to have a big guy capable of playing center in the 2010 recruiting class. I think Skeen can hold down the middle next year, but it would be good for Williams or LaLane to get their feet wet before one of them is handed the reigns the following year.

Back