Ed Nixon - - new 3 pt threat?

Was looking back at Ed Nixon's stats...he's getting good minutes through the first two games. He shoots sparingly but was 1-2 from 3 range versus BCU and was 2-3 from 3 range versus WM. It's early, but has he improved this much with his jumper or is it just an early season tease?

Also, I think this weekend he might need to draw the man to man assignment on Willie Warren.

Rambunctious said:
Was looking back at Ed Nixon's stats...he's getting good minutes through the first two games. He shoots sparingly but was 1-2 from 3 range versus BCU and was 2-3 from 3 range versus WM. It's early, but has he improved this much with his jumper or is it just an early season tease?

Also, I think this weekend he might need to draw the man to man assignment on Willie Warren.

He hit another one just BARELY inside of the arc. In fact, the WMU announcer on the stream thought he had hit a three. He might not be finishing yet, but he's showing us he can shoot, I think.

VCU Finance 2008 already predicted the WMU in game thread that Ed was going to shoot a higher % of 3's then lay ups this year. I don't understand how more of his lay ups don't fall, but it is nice to see him stepping out and hitting the 3 this year.

If Ed starts shooting well from the outside, it will certainly make getting to the hoop and finishing easier. Remember, the guys just beginning his junior season. Good things could still be on the horizon.

VRam said:
If Ed starts shooting well from the outside, it will certainly make getting to the hoop and finishing easier. Remember, the guys just beginning his junior season. Good things could still be on the horizon.

Yeah, he needs to work with TJ so he can get that pump fake three and drive down pat

Ed still has too many jukes and adjustments in the air. He needs to watch Maynor video - - he used quickness and his body to get position, but he wasn't a huge twister/turner in the air like Ed tries. Ed needs to at least draw contact and get to the line instead of avoiding the contact with his body movement in air.

Ed showed tonight that we need to judge him by what he does this season....he was a crucial element in tonight's victory

He was matched up with Warren a lot and kept him from going off. Great game by Ed tonight - - and he hit another 3!

I've said for years that Ed's agility and ability to get to the basket reminds me of Shuler. Now his 3pointer is coming into it's own, if 'm not mistaken, it was Shu's junior year where he started to contribute and make some noise.

Not saying they are the same player, or even asked to play the same role, or that Ed now is as good as Shu at the end, but I am saying this .. I like his progression.

No matter what the stats say, this was by far Nixon's best game at VCU (that I can remember).

Also, don't sleep on the game TJ Gwynn had.

They both looked really good while I was watching. Seemed like everyone was playing well.

I thought losing up in Michigan might give us a better shot tonight. I thought we'd come out with something to prove.

Mistachill said:
No matter what the stats say, this was by far Nixon's best game at VCU (that I can remember).

Also, don't sleep on the game TJ Gwynn had.
I agree 1000% and add Bradford Burgess to that list of guys that did a lot of work that doesn't show up on the stat line. Although he did have 9 rebounds with 5 offensive which does look pretty good on the ol box score. Great team effort tonight. Although I was most impressed with his D Nixon's 3 point shot looked solid once again making one and getting fouled on another but knocking down all 3 of the free throws.

That has to be close to the most minutes (26) that Ed has played in a game. Smart also mentioned his leadership in the post-game. Maybe more good things are coming from Ed.

Ed just may be our best all-around player. He does everything well, especially on defense, and always looks like he is giving it 100% or more every second he is on the floor....

Absolutely right about the moving around while in the air! He is a very good free throw shooter, and instead of avoiding contact and putting himself in tougher position to finish, he needs to look to draw that contact more often on his finishing moves.

Back