Eric Maynor traded to OKC Thunder

ndnballer09 said:
RonnieDobbs said:
Thank god. I hated rooting for Utah. Go Thunder!

AMEN

Exact opposite for me. I'm still sour over the whole Sonics sabatoge.
Anyway, the Thunder just went from my least favorite NBA team to one of my favorite (until Eric is traded again).

jflip said:
Dang, he's the only one who can't really throw down a dunk :lol:

<3 Maynor

That is not true. I saw him dunk at VCU once. Just once I think. Wouldn't have won a dunk contest that's for sure.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
jflip said:
Dang, he's the only one who can't really throw down a dunk :lol:

<3 Maynor

That is not true. I saw him dunk at VCU once. Just once I think. Wouldn't have won a dunk contest that's for sure.

420856461_KBSTC-M.jpg

420857506_M7zan-M.jpg

420847233_82uXf-M.jpg

420859046_ycWgn-M.jpg

420858198_seGhN-M.jpg

I knew he could dunk; I just meant he's the least likely to throw down a dunk during a game compared to the other players who get up there pretty easily compared to him.

Dont leave out Ibaka who is huge and a nasty dunker. (Could be like the Larry Eric combo here on alley-oops.)

Any coincidence that on the day of the trade RW0 (Russell Westbrook) has 8 pts 4 rebs 10 assts in the first half?

Anyone know if E will be there tomorrow night and playing vs Phx?

10-4 flip. I was just messing around.

Nice pics John. It wasn't exactly the Shu, Nixon, BRoz style, but it got there. The person in the crowd wearing blue must have known that they were witnessing history.

The Thunder just might have the ugliest jerseys in the NBA. Jazz jerseys are still awesome because thats what he was drafted to wear. I hope they give Maynor the #3, but I doubt it, even if they guy rides the bench.

sucks that he has to move already, but this move is good for him in the long run and he will hopefully play more. i think he will play more atleast, i don't know much about the nba.

one thing though, eric has to stop going to these teams that wear stupid shades of baby (odpuke) blue

I knew he would be traded eventually. Glad he won't be playing on west coast time anymore.

OKC hosts Utah on New Years Eve!

As a VCU grad who used to also live in Salt Lake City, became a big Jazz fan and returned to Richmond and got the opportunity to watch Eric lead my beloved Rams for years, I have very mixed emotions about Eric's trade.

Perhaps attached article on this trade best captures the business/emotion side of the NBA. I would encourage all Eric fans to read. I also would encourge all existing Ram players to understand the NBA is a business. As such, only being fully developed for all business issues you will encounter will allow you to be successful [translation: Larry Sanders, stay your for senior year and further develop your game!].

Locke's Jazz Report, 2009-10
12/21/09

A quick thought or two or more on the Jazz trade of Matt Harpring and Eric Maynor today for Peter Fehse of the Oklahoma City Thunder.

This was a luxury tax based trade. When the Jazz decided to keep Paul Millsap they were over the luxury tax. The tax means for every dollar you are over the tax you have to pay another dollar back to the league which then gets distributed amongst the other teams. The Jazz saved the nearly $7 million dollars of tax that both Harpring and Maynor would have cost them.

In regards to Harpring he is not going to play again and this is exactly what the Jazz hoped to be able to do with his salary

Why Oklahoma City? Only two teams in the NBA are under the salary cap. If teams are over the salary cap trades must be within 15% of the same dollar figure. Therefore, only Oklahoma City and Memphis could have given the Jazz any tax relief. Memphis is in terrible financial situation and won’t take on any other money. Therefore, the only person was Oklahoma City. That is why it cost the Jazz Eric Mayno

How big a loss is Eric Maynor? The first question is can Ronnie Price handle the back up point guard duties on this team. Price seems to me to play better when he is at the 2 guard position and as I have mentioned before his Tasmanian Devil approach to the game seems contrary to the control a point guard needs. However, the Jazz committed to him in the off-season with a 2 year contract and he knows the system and brings an energy that no other player brings. Worth noting I am not sure we were that far off of Price playing ahead of Maynor anyway on this road trip.

How good is Eric Maynor? That is still a real question mark. He is struggling with his shot. He is shooting just 36% for the month of December and teams are defending him differently making it harder for him to find open people in the paint. Against teams we have played twice this year he is really struggling v. Lakers 25% v. Spurs 25% v. Orlando 14% shooting.

Maynor is also slight of build and because of that I would be surprised if he was ever able to be a 30 minute a night point guard

Maynor has a great head on his shoulders, he has super moxie, he is feaerless and has a great feel for the game. For all those reason he will have a long NBA career. What is to be determined is he a back-up or a starter? My guess is he is a back-up with a similar career path to former Utah Jazz man Howard Eisley.

To summarize what the Utah Jazz did today was trade a back-up point guard while having another one on the roster and were able to save in the range of $10 million dollars as a franchise. That is disappointing decision because we all like Maynor but I am guessing it wasn’t a hard one.

Finally, this is a little obtuse but in the business parlance of the NBA what the Jazz just did is pretty amazing. They took a late 1st round draft pick that they couldn’t sell or trade on draft day. The most you can sell it for is 3 million and last year the end of the draft’s market was about 1 to 1.5 million. They played the pick for a bunch of games and he contributed to some wins which is more than you would anticipate for a late 1st round pick and then they traded him for $10 million savings. That is a good business move in a span of months.

Now Ronnie Price better be ok as the back-up point guard.

Also we will never see Peter Feshe, I just texted a scout in the league “Can’t play dead.”

I was just getting used to the Jazz, knowing their players and tendencies. Now I have to shift to OKC. It sucks but I'll get over it.

-------------------
Go THUNDER!
Beat Suns!!

Re: Eric Maynor traded to OKC Thunder
by fmrick on Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:36 am

How the people in OK City see it:

http://newsok.com/okc-thunder-acquires- ... tory_title

Nice quote by Jeff Capel, who's not-far-away from Oklahoma City. I would think Jeff's OU and NBA Thunder connections/discussions will also only help Capel regionally with recruiting when folks say " Capel recruited Maynor when at VCU". It can only help VCU as well. Eric, best of luck in OKC:

"I’m very happy for Eric to be joining such a wonderful franchise,” Capel said. "The Thunder is one of the teams of the future and is getting a very, very talented young point guard who has the desire to be great. I think it’s a perfect match.”

Back