Eric Maynor traded to OKC Thunder

Mercury

Elite Member
LOL @ people that bought Maynor Jerseys

Naw just kiddin..does suck though Thunder are a good young team though.

Getting to play with Durant will be fun

and sucks for VCU who bought a bunch of tickets for the Jazz game(will have to refund people and eat the cost) Unless they got them for free from the Wiz as part of the TC deal

i have a friend in OKC, even more reason to visit...im getting a jersey this time

BTW Only Thunder game in DC is on 12.29 same day as the ECU game

the Thunder backup pg's have been playing around 13-15 min a game which while EM3 was avg 14 a night that was skewed by those couple starts when D-Will was gone and garbage min in a couple other games. I would expect him to get a consistent 16-18 min a night now.

Mercury said:

I saw a few of those get signed when Eric was in town watching the URI game, so I think they will still come out alright on those.

I don't haven't been keeping up with any NBA teams other than the Pistons (Ben Wallace) and the Jazz this year. Someone tell me a little bit about the Thunder's season so far.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
Mercury said:

I saw a few of those get signed when Eric was in town watching the URI game, so I think they will still come out alright on those.

I don't haven't been keeping up with any NBA teams other than the Pistons (Ben Wallace) and the Jazz this year. Someone tell me a little bit about the Thunder's season so far.

The Thunder are 13-13 which is better than anticipated this year as I believe they are another year (and a big) away from being really good with all the excellent young players they have. Scott Brooks (former pt guard) is their coach and Maurice Cheeks (another former pt guard) is one of the assistants so they wont let for coaching at the position. The team is being built by Sam Presti who was from the Spurs organization and is slowing amassing a Spurs like roster. He has Westbrook to be his Parker, Sefolosha to be his Bowen, Harden the Ginobli role, KD to be the Duncan go to guy, and the mix and match centers. Jeff Green from Georgetown is a very solid player, but they need a power player at the 4 or 5 who can score on the block and they will be a playoff team. They also own PHX 1st round pick this coming draft, so even more talent is on the way. They play the Lakers tonight on NBATV and while Eric wont play obviously maybe you want to see what he is joining.

mwalvlior said:
The Thunder are 13-13 which is better than anticipated this year as I believe they are another year (and a big) away from being really good with all the excellent young players they have. Scott Brooks (former pt guard) is their coach and Maurice Cheeks (another former pt guard) is one of the assistants so they wont let for coaching at the position. The team is being built by Sam Presti who was from the Spurs organization and is slowing amassing a Spurs like roster. He has Westbrook to be his Parker, Sefolosha to be his Bowen, Harden the Ginobli role, KD to be the Duncan go to guy, and the mix and match centers. Jeff Green from Georgetown is a very solid player, but they need a power player at the 4 or 5 who can score on the block and they will be a playoff team. They also own PHX 1st round pick this coming draft, so even more talent is on the way. They play the Lakers tonight on NBATV and while Eric wont play obviously maybe you want to see what he is joining.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. It looks like the Thunder are building towards the future while the Jazz are just trying to save money. Right now the Thunder are two games behind the Jazz in the Northwest division. It will be interesting to see how that plays out during the season. The Thunder will host the Jazz on New Year's Eve. Unless I missed it they won't play the Jazz in Utah until April.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
mwalvlior said:

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. It looks like the Thunder are building towards the future while the Jazz are just trying to save money. Right now the Thunder are two games behind the Jazz in the Northwest division. It will be interesting to see how that plays out during the season. The Thunder will host the Jazz on New Year's Eve. Unless I missed it they won't play the Jazz in Utah until April.

they beat the Jazz in Utah on another NBATV game about a month ago around thanksgivingi believe it was. It was close for a half and then the Thunder took it over in the 3rd. I dont think the Thunder are ready this year for the playoffs, but think portland two years ago as they could be portland last year, next year.

From his Twitter page:

just got traded to Oklahoma city....................i wus always told everything happens for a reason.........

I hope he's not too upset about this, it must be devastating to be traded so quickly into his career. That being said I like this move for him. He will thrive.

he has to take the approach that it is not the jazz didnt want him but that the thunder wanted him more.

mwalvlior said:
he has to take the approach that it is not the jazz didnt want him but that the thunder wanted him more.

Absolutely, the Thunder took on the contract of a guy they are never expecting to play for them just to bring Eric on board.

It has got to be tough for him right now, but hopefully he bounces back quickly and keeps producing on the court. Hopefully he was just renting out in Utah. I would imagine that he probably was.

Jazz fan here.
I'm disgusted with this move. We need a stud young back up
to Dwill which is what we had in Maynor. I'm sick thinking
we gave him up as part of a deal to dump salary.

Anyways it's been fun chatting with you all here.
I will still cheer for Maynor in OKC. He's a class guy,
and going to be a good player in this league.
This is going to come back to haunt us, and help the Thunder.

Rock on guys.

"Trading Eric was a difficult decision," Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor said in a statement. "But, along with Matt's contract, it greatly helps reduce our luxury tax responsibility. Fortunately, with Deron [Williams] and a proven backup in Ronnie Price we feel that we have depth at that position."

Maynor made two starts earlier this season while Williams was away from the team, including a career-high 24-point outing against Cleveland.

The trade offers Maynor a reunion of sorts with Oklahoma's Jeff Capel, who recruited him to Virginia Commonwealth before leaving to become the Sooners' coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4766058

From a few fans on the Utah Jazz forum:

"I truly think Maynor has the most potential of any player the Jazz have selected in the last maybe 10 years or so with the exception of D-Will."

"Why Maynor could'nt we have thrown in Koufos or someone? Maynor had so much promise!"

"Maybe .. just maybe ... Maynor gets waived and signs back with the Jazz? They already have Westbrook and Watson"

"Well makes some sense for OKC too. 1. They aren't exactly deep @ PG. 2. They take Harpring's contract which will be covered by insurance. So they get Maynor for 2 years at about 2.5 million and then retain his rights on the 3rd year and gave up nothing for it."

"Everyone's been waiting for something to happen, and it's this? Seriously? Trading the only promising backup Deron has ever had to dump AN EXPIRING?"

"maynor really wasn't all that good anyway. We need the financial freedom, good move!"

"I hope he lights us up at least once."

Back