Expanding the recruitment team

Seemed like a bit of a slow day on Ram Nation so I found this article to post.

Good to see Shaka is involving other department heads in the recruitment efforts and potentially making every minute of campus visits/phone calls, etc. count.

You know I've always thought of VCU as a TREMENDOUS school. So many great programs here, many nationally known and always expanding. Yet for some reason..... we have not gotten quite the recognition and the reputation that other VA schools have, and continually fly under a lot of radar screens being overshadowed by the likes of others. From a medical standpoint I'd stack our grads up against any others across the country. Sounds like Shaka is intent on trying to deliver that message about the educational opportunities here at VCU.

http://www.vcu.edu/profiles/profiles/05 ... owitz.html

I agree that this school has not got as much recognition as it deserves....VCU is a good academic school...A lot of people try to joke about our Arts department when they identify our schools academics...I for one am proud of our school of arts as well as our school of medicine....we are a well rounded school athletically and academically....the urban setting and diverse nature of our school helps to set us apart from a lot of other uninversities.....GO VCU!!!! :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

On a somewhat related topic VCU is getting more selective about who it admits. I read that the median GPA for this year's incoming freshmen was a 3.44. I believe that is significantly higher then it was 5 or 6 years ago when I was graduating high school.

I do like it when I read about a recruit who is interested in the business program. We have a great new business building and a great program. It is good to know that we are working hard to get the accross to the recuits on their visits.

And honestly gentleman most of our academic facilities destroy the other VA schools. The Brand Center and the business school are second to none for example.

VCU Finance 2008 said:
On a somewhat related topic VCU is getting more selective about who it admits. I read that the median GPA for this year's incoming freshmen was a 3.44.

Geez, I woudda never got in if those were the requirements in my day.

I seem to recall one of our more highly sought after recruits wanting to major in business, but can't remember his name off hand. Does anyone remember who this is?

xjohnx said:
I seem to recall one of our more highly sought after recruits wanting to major in business, but can't remember his name off hand. Does anyone remember who this is?
That was on my mind as well after reading this post. The only one that I recall off hand was Vilarino who signed with Gonzaga.

Rambunctious said:
And honestly gentleman most of our academic facilities destroy the other VA schools. The Brand Center and the business school are second to none for example.
What are you basing that off of? Sure, those buildings are nice, but the programs(i.e. Business) have a ways to go.

Snead has growing potential, but it does not compare to the overall programs of Darden, VT, JMU and William and Mary(who is just putting the finishing touches on a building of their own)

I know this is a shallow response and I know we have beat this dead horse around and around again, but VCU needs a Football program as well as more sports teams around campus. We need a signature sports facility outside of The Stu.

It's a natural fit. Every high school in America has football, baseball and soccer fields. Not to mention tennis and basketball courts. Don't get me wrong. I know adding football and building a nice stadium is difficult, expensive and requires land. But students want to come to a school that has everything.

I missed out on the college experience of tailgating on a Saturday during the fall and did not make many baseball games due to them being played at the diamond. heck I had to ride a bus to the Coliseum just to see a mens basketball game. I had to settle for mens soccer and womens field hocky at Cary Street field. And believe it or not that was just 14-15 years ago.

But until VCU can get campus activities that draw people to the campus for something outside of just academics we will always be just an academic school. As a said this is a shallow response because I know the whole purpose of going to school is to learn. But heck having fun, being entertained through sports, and most importantly taking pride in cheering for a football team, womens fast pitch softball or even having a baseball field within walking distance for baseball games would be great.

Please give me a reason to come back to campus to spend money on VCU clothes other things outside of mens/womens basketaball games.

Back