For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

Today around noon, The "Flying Squirrels" took on the "Rubber Ducks" of Akron.
If we're gonna toss millions at a new stadium of any kind, can we entertain the concept of something actually serious, like some kind of pro or semi-pro team, football, soccer ANYTHING other than some kiddie cartoon characters?

If we're gonna toss millions at a new stadium of any kind, can we entertain the concept of something actually serious, like some kind of pro or semi-pro team, football, soccer ANYTHING other than some kiddie cartoon characters?
Unfortunately it’s in vogue for minor league baseball teams to have dumb nicknames. I don’t understand.

AA baseball is all about family fun, and goofy nicknames are part of that.

Well, I guess if the cartoon characters are gonna provide some Rodney, Fats and Zeb then, bring keep on keeping on.
2nite:
2023-05-20-131713.jpg

Well when Richmond can attract a serious team that might happen but that doesn’t happen when you can’t even replace a crumbling arena and a ballpark where you might get a concrete slab with your squirrely fries. Charlotte is a great example of what Richmond should be.

Speaking of overrated sports....there's also the USFL (all teams owned by FOX) and XFL (purchases for 15 million)....and I have yet to meet anyone who gives a rat$ a$$ about either one of those OR who could name a single player on any team.
DC Defenders have a pretty rabid fanbase and the games are quite fun...plus they win. I'm up to being able to name 3 players now...

DC Defenders have a pretty rabid fanbase and the games are quite fun...plus they win. I'm up to being able to name 3 players now...
I haven't watched a complete game but from what I've seen the fans in the stands are definitely having a good time. That is the first step.

The XFL overall has put on a pretty good on-field product, they’re selling tickets, and given their connections with the NFL (as sort of a minor league to the NFL), it’s become a much more convincing league.

The USFL, however, is still a joke.

The USFL, however, is still a joke.
I understood playing all of their games in Birmingham last year, as a way to control costs. This year not playing games in some of the team’s cities has been ridiculous. It’s like they don’t even care if there are fans in attendance, and it shows.

It's also about merchandising ... you can sell a lot cooler Flying Squirrels gear in the gift shop than San Francisco Giants.

There is a downside, however, to the unique nicknames ... you don't get the hand-me-down gear from the big leagues with same colors, lettering and logos.. Richmond Braves received lots of second-hand stuff from Atlanta Braves. Only item they didn't get was caps with "A" on them.

Interesting thing about the Squirrels' affiliation with the Giants. I have yet to hear of a local baseball guy that became a Giants' fan due to the minor league team. In contrast, many Richmond-area folks became Yankees' fans due to Richmond Virginians and Atlanta fans due to Richmond Braves.

I would guess (we'll never know for sure) that less than half the fans going to games at The Diamond known the local team is San Francisco property. And likely 90 percent don't know the big-league affiliation of the opponent.

Interesting thing about the Squirrels' affiliation with the Giants. I have yet to hear of a local baseball guy that became a Giants' fan due to the minor league team. In contrast, many Richmond-area folks became Yankees' fans due to Richmond Virginians and Atlanta fans due to Richmond Braves.
That might have something to do with the Squirrels being AA and those two teams you mentioned being AAA. I'm not a baseball fan by any stretch, but at AAA they're playing a higher level baseball that's probably connected more to the parent team, right? You're more likely to see your favorite R-Braves player make his way to the A-Braves, where you can continue to root for him ... right?

With all of that said, I don't find the Flying Squirrels to be that ridiculous of a nickname, particularly when compared to some of the silliness you find out there. Here's a list of worse ones:

Are they supposed to go with more Mountain Dew XTREAM trucknuts metal/rap blueblocker tactical copperfit insecure toughguy kind of names?

That might have something to do with the Squirrels being AA and those two teams you mentioned being AAA. I'm not a baseball fan by any stretch, but at AAA they're playing a higher level baseball that's probably connected more to the parent team, right? You're more likely to see your favorite R-Braves player make his way to the A-Braves, where you can continue to root for him ... right?

With all of that said, I don't find the Flying Squirrels to be that ridiculous of a nickname, particularly when compared to some of the silliness you find out there. Here's a list of worse ones:

Dozens of Squirrels have made it to the big leagues (some with Giants) although not always directly. There's that intermediate stop in AAA Sacramento for many.

But I agree, there less a connection with AA and big leagues than AAA and The Show.

That said, after 50-plus years of having AAA baseball, I thought (naively) that when the AA Squirrels came to town, the fan base wouldn't accept it. I was wrong. Attendance is much better now (largely due to relentless promotions) than in any season with the Virginians or Braves, except perhaps when Chipper Jones was playing on The Boulevard.

There is so little fan interest now in the standings and what the team is actually doing on the field. The Times-Dispatch is well aware.

Several years back the TD stopped covering the team in any traditional manner. Now the stories (only when team is home) are more about something related to Squirrels and minor-league baseball in general than any play-by-play game account. On the road, the Squirrels are virtually ignored by the local press.

Until the early '90s. the Times-Dispatch and afternoon News Leader sent reporters on the road to follow the squad to cities like Syracuse, Rochester, Columbus, Toledo, Charleston WVA, etc. That would be unthinkable today. And going way, way back, the local papers sent reporters to such distant locales as Havana and Montreal.

Back