For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

More like get into a football-centric conference and hope to get better in that sport.
"Hope" being the key word here. They had a few decent seasons then the bottom fell out. Where are they going to go, Big 12, ACC?

IIRC their AD is running up a deficit ($53 million in 2022) and a P5 invite would net them $30 million/year.
I think it's closer to 35 million more. B12 distributions were like 43 million and I think the Big East was something in the neighborhood of 7 or 8.

Unless the Big12 and PAC merge to survive, it’s not that stable - and the Big whatever has decreased value in the future. UCONN doesn’t bring any value in football.

They don’t have much invested in football. The state owns the stadium in Hartford. They could easily drop to 1AA where they belong. But they won’t. They will continue to dig a deeper hole in the make believe world of academia, and eventually will need rescued. Just pass it on to the students, who will in turn pass it onto our grandchildren.

If it has not been brought up already I would love to stir the pot. Ryan Odom's contract has in the terms language about joining another conference and I did not see it in the contract for Mike Rhoades. Happy over analyzing season!

Ryan Odom:

Mike Rhoades:

If it has not been brought up already I would love to stir the pot. Ryan Odom's contract has in the terms language about joining another conference and I did not see it in the contract for Mike Rhoades. Happy over analyzing season!

Ryan Odom:

Mike Rhoades:

Just a matter of time.

Ryan Odom:

Mike Rhoades:

I cannot find the part you are talking about.

Last edited:
I cannot find the art you are talking about.
I read through the entire contract, bear in mind that contracts was my worst legal course.
Ryan Odom's contract in Article 1 has "Additionally, if VCU's men's basketball program enters another athletic conference that results in VCU receiving an increase of overall funds from the new athletic conference ("Increased Funding", VCU will conduct a good faith review of the budget commitment for the men's basketball program including the Coach's compensation and term of employment under this Agreement and shall consider appropriate adjustments including an extension of such Term during the fiscal year in which VCU receives the Increased Funding."

This doesn't appear to be included in Rhoades' 2019 contract, or the 2021 Amendment.

Looks like Ed is anticipating expansion and an increased budget, which the AD would sua sponte review the contractual terms for an increase in salary/compensation. Hmmm.

I read through the entire contract, bear in mind that contracts was my worst legal course.
Ryan Odom's contract in Article 1 has "Additionally, if VCU's men's basketball program enters another athletic conference that results in VCU receiving an increase of overall funds from the new athletic conference ("Increased Funding", VCU will conduct a good faith review of the budget commitment for the men's basketball program including the Coach's compensation and term of employment under this Agreement and shall consider appropriate adjustments including an extension of such Term during the fiscal year in which VCU receives the Increased Funding."

This doesn't appear to be included in Rhoades' 2019 contract, or the 2021 Amendment.

Looks like Ed is anticipating expansion and an increased budget, which the AD would sua sponte review the contractual terms for an increase in salary/compensation. Hmmm.
Better to be ready for any eventuality if possible. But that's interesting.

I cannot find the art you are talking about.
MV5BOGJiMjk0MTgtMDkxNy00ZGM4LWE2NmYtNGVkZjY4ZTY0MzE2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXRyYW5zY29kZS13b3JrZmxvdw@@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,46,500,281_.jpg

Back