For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

Grand Canyon moving up makes perfect sense, especially after the past few seasons.

Seattle surprises me, their arena only seats exactly 999 people. They play a few bigger games offsite but their home arena is waaaay smaller than the next smallest in the WCC - Pepperdine, at 3,104.
they have other options in Seattle. (bring back the Supersonics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Story going around about UNC BoT meeting to discuss an exit strategy from the ACC. From the article:
The issues of revenue are a serious concern for athletics, especially in the ACC for the university. Per WRAL, the athletic department submitted a preliminary budget proposal with a $17 million deficit for the 2024-25 academic year and $100 million in cumulative deficits moving forward.
Sheesh, an ACC school's athletic department is 100 million in debt!

It’s all unsustainable. May be quite a while yet, but on the current path it’s going to cave in.

Story going around about UNC BoT meeting to discuss an exit strategy from the ACC. From the article:

Sheesh, an ACC school's athletic department is 100 million in debt!

Pretty sure UNC - Chapel Hill can't do anything without the approval from the University of North Carolina System and the NC General Assembly. FYI - The University of North Carolina System consists of 17 institutions (including NC State), and is governed by The Board of Governors consisting of 32 voting members who are elected by the North Carolina General Assembly and serve for terms of four years.

Seems to me to be a lot of smoke with no fire.

Pretty sure UNC - Chapel Hill can't do anything without the approval from the University of North Carolina System and the NC General Assembly. FYI - The University of North Carolina System consists of 17 institutions (including NC State), and is governed by The Board of Governors consisting of 32 voting members who are elected by the North Carolina General Assembly and serve for terms of four years.

Seems to me to be a lot of smoke with no fire.
A $100 million dollar debt can turn a whole lot of heads deciding to leave the ACC considering an invitation to a P4 would be super-duper almost immediately likely. And that being in the big 4 would be an immediate infusion of capital at a time where NIL is consuming a lot of dollars for both basketball and football.
And the feelings of UNCW and UNC-Ashville and other UNC campuses are not in any way going to be controlling factor of what UNC Chapel Hill does in the future......just like UVa-Wise isn't telling UVa charlottesville what they should do.

You now have multiple teams in the ACC looking for an out.

Have to assume Villanova & maybe W&M aren't far behind.

It's a bit of a shame considering how unbelievably weak the Patriot League is.

It does lead to really stupid takes like this one though (screenshot since I expect this guy to block me):

Screenshot-2024-05-14-135658.png

It's a bit of a shame considering how unbelievably weak the Patriot League is.

It does lead to really stupid takes like this one though (screenshot since I expect this guy to block me):

Screenshot-2024-05-14-135658.png

If Villanova is moving with the Spiders then the two leagues probably aren't going to be that far off. Remove JMU, UD, UR & Nova and the CAA's ELO takes a hit.

Back