For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

squid1622

Elite Member
This is a constant topic of discussion between myself and my friends (also VCU fans and alum). Unfortunately, we are by and far of the opinion that Bernadette has not done a great job with this conference. This of course is a matter of opinion and not really up for debate in this thread. Invariably, the conversation always seems to drift towards "where could we even go". Sadly VCU's options at the moment are limited for a number of reasons. This always then leads to "if we could break from the A10 and form a new conference, what schools would you select as members?"

Here's the rules of the game. The conference must be at least 10 teams and not more than 14 teams. Geography must be considered. Not so much in proximity to VCU, but more in maximizing the efficiency of the league. You can pull any team from a conference that is not the Power 5, Big East, or the AAC. Football does not need to be considered. Lastly provide justification for any "outlying" teams that may not make traditional sense.

Beyond that, the world is your oyster.

AAC and A10 merge with two divisions and experiment with a system where divisional alignment and H&H schedule depend on prior year performance......two weeks per year there is crossover play and teams play others with the same place at a neutral site (1st vs 1st, 2nd vs 2nd, etc...), except the second game cannot be between the same two teams if they are placed the same, then 1st would play 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, etc.... Tourney seeding would be based on consideration for conference record and net rating. There is no place for Fordham & LaSalle.

AAC and A10 merge with two divisions and experiment with a system where divisional alignment and H&H schedule depend on prior year performance......two weeks per year there is crossover play and teams play others with the same place at a neutral site (1st vs 1st, 2nd vs 2nd, etc...), except the second game cannot be between the same two teams if they are placed the same, then 1st would play 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, etc.... Tourney seeding would be based on consideration for conference record and net rating. There is no place for Fordham & LaSalle.
Conceptually, I like. Practically, you would end up with the same problem the Big East had a few years back. Basketball and Football unable to agree on how the divide money

Be careful what you wish for. Since late 1900's, VCU has been in the enviable position of being at or near the top of its conference in terms of financial commitment, attendance and overall resources - that combination spells enduring success.. A bad season for the Rams would be a banner season for others in same conference. I'm not sure VCU's fan base could withstand mediocrity - like a Wake Forest, Boston College, etc., in ACC, or some middle of the packer in Big East/AAC. Current Rams have right formula - go about 10-2 in preseason with one tough tournament and lots of buy games, dominate the conference for a couple months .... and look to wear the Silver Slipper in March.

The Big East is the only conference I’d want to move to. I just don’t trust the longterm stability of the AAC. I might be okay with it if we were brought in for all sports except football and Army was brought in as football only (kind of like the Wichita State/Navy arrangement).

VCU & Dayton & LSU to the Big East where 4 former and current vcu HCs battle each other for dominance.
Then maybe add Radford and GW to work on the former Asst coaching tree.

Be careful what you wish for. Since late 1900's, VCU has been in the enviable position of being at or near the top of its conference in terms of financial commitment, attendance and overall resources - that combination spells enduring success.. A bad season for the Rams would be a banner season for others in same conference. I'm not sure VCU's fan base could withstand mediocrity - like a Wake Forest, Boston College, etc., in ACC, or some middle of the packer in Big East/AAC. Current Rams have right formula - go about 10-2 in preseason with one tough tournament and lots of buy games, dominate the conference for a couple months .... and look to wear the Silver Slipper in March.
I agree with this. Given our resources, commitment to basketball, tradition, etc., we have been and should continue to be at the top of the a10 almost every year, which has resulted in us dancing almost every year we've been in the conference. Is that going to happen if we join the Big East? It's possible such a move increases our brand exposure as a program, but it's also just as possible we become overwhelmed by the likes of Villanova, UCONN, and Xavier, thereby falling into Georgetown territory.

I agree with this. Given our resources, commitment to basketball, tradition, etc., we have been and should continue to be at the top of the a10 almost every year, which has resulted in us dancing almost every year we've been in the conference. Is that going to happen if we join the Big East? It's possible such a move increases our brand exposure as a program, but it's also just as possible we become overwhelmed by the likes of Villanova, UCONN, and Xavier, thereby falling into Georgetown territory.
Nova will probably stay at another level as long as Wright stays at least, but I don't see us regularly being lapped by UConn or X. Even if so, a rising tide lifts all boats - that's why we joined the A-10 initially.

The Big East is the only conference I’d want to move to. I just don’t trust the longterm stability of the AAC. I might be okay with it if we were brought in for all sports except football and Army was brought in as football only (kind of like the Wichita State/Navy arrangement).
That kind of piecemeal arrangement sort of illustrates how the whole conference is held together by duct tape. As it stands I'd still want us to go in that scenario, but I wouldn't expect to be there very long.

Bingo, Havoc City .... VCU can play with ANYONE (on the right night) .... but can it withstand a steady diet of programs with equal or greater resources?

Back