For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

There is so little fan interest now in the standings and what the team is actually doing on the field. The Times-Dispatch is well aware.

Several years back the TD stopped covering the team in any traditional manner. Now the stories (only when team is home) are more about something related to Squirrels and minor-league baseball in general than any play-by-play game account. On the road, the Squirrels are virtually ignored by the local press.

Until the early '90s. the Times-Dispatch and afternoon News Leader sent reporters on the road to follow the squad to cities like Syracuse, Rochester, Columbus, Toledo, Charleston WVA, etc. That would be unthinkable today. And going way, way back, the local papers sent reporters to such distant locales as Havana and Montreal.
I (and a I think a lot of people) view going to a Squirrel's game as the same kind of entertainment as going to a local fair or festival. It's fun entertainment, but the game is extremely secondary. I went to one game last season and couldn't tell you who won.

I (and a I think a lot of people) view going to a Squirrel's game as the same kind of entertainment as going to a local fair or festival. It's fun entertainment, but the game is extremely secondary. I went to one game last season and couldn't tell you who won.
Too many $12 beers

Too many $12 beers

I recall, at old Parker Field, when they had free beer for the players in the locker room .... unlimited quantity. And these guys were just one step from the big leagues - could have missed the Atlanta "call-up" phone call in drunken stupor.

I recall, at old Parker Field, when they had free beer for the players in the locker room .... unlimited quantity. And these guys were just one step from the big leagues - could have missed the Atlanta "call-up" phone call in drunken stupor.
Parker Field was awesome. So much better than the Diamond.

Parker Field was awesome. So much better than the Diamond.

In what way? Here's something you may not know ... rightfield was about 30 feet further than left ... that's because some football was played there into the late '70s and they needed 120 yards (with end zones), plus a bit more, stretching from near third-base dugout to deep right. Left-handed hitters referred to it as "Death Valley."

In what way? Here's something you may not know ... rightfield was about 30 feet further than left ... that's because some football was played there into the late '70s and they needed 120 yards (with end zones), plus a bit more, stretching from near third-base dugout to deep right. Left-handed hitters referred to it as "Death Valley."
Chain link fence in right.

Hard agree, I like to go and spend the entire game at the Stone IPA pavilion or whatever they call it, on the first base side. Winning is fine but if they lose they still have fireworks after. Pretty similar with the Kickers, as long as they don't completely suck. The Kickers actually were sort of AAA and sort of voluntarily went down to AA and it actually helped. Im pretty sure attendance has gone up. Post Covid it's just nice to be outside around people.

Hard agree, I like to go and spend the entire game at the Stone IPA pavilion or whatever they call it, on the first base side. Winning is fine but if they lose they still have fireworks after. Pretty similar with the Kickers, as long as they don't completely suck. The Kickers actually were sort of AAA and sort of voluntarily went down to AA and it actually helped. Im pretty sure attendance has gone up. Post Covid it's just nice to be outside around people.
Kickers had to. The teams at top USL are spending like mls level in hopes of getting there. Kickers would need a major backer. They got destroyed trying to compete with big money teams plus they would lose their players every year.

As a baseball purist, I hate AA ball. Nobody cares who wins the championship. Practically different manager and players every year. And for the most part, no strategy to the game. The Diamond is a dump with its garish artwork. Looks more like and LSD trip than a ball park. Not to mention the bad food and high prices (yes, I know, that's to be expected). Parney deserves a ton of credit for putting butts in the seats with a bad product. If your thought of entertainment is grow-ups dressed as tomatoes jumping on a bun is, than go for it. I go at least once or twice a year hoping I will enjoy the experience. But I leave feeling underwhelmed by the game and the product. But I get it, its an ok place to go with family and friends and spend a nice summer night out, but that is about it.

Anyway I would think the average Squirrels attendance is about the same as VCU basketball. I find that ummmm, I don't know, weird.

That is hitting a little too close to home.
Yep. Kickers would spend 5,10,15 years developing a player in their system and some big money USL in their own league would be like “Thank you!”. Imagine getting whooped game after game by stars you made but then got snatched. All started with Orlando City (Now MLS team.). Soon as big money folks realized they could use USL to get to MLS the Kickers were screwed. They were a top team every year until 2009 in the old USL. Then big clubs in their own league poached their team every year of any talented player so they had to drop.

As a baseball purist
You could have stopped right there. I'm not a baseball guy, but it's obvious that AA baseball is not about team building. It's about individual player development. The entertainment aspect that's built up around AA ball is a side-effect of teams realizing that the product isn't so hot and therefore they must build a carnival around the game to make it interesting.

As a baseball purist, I hate AA ball. Nobody cares who wins the championship. Practically different manager and players every year. And for the most part, no strategy to the game. The Diamond is a dump with its garish artwork. Looks more like and LSD trip than a ball park. Not to mention the bad food and high prices (yes, I know, that's to be expected). Parney deserves a ton of credit for putting butts in the seats with a bad product. If your thought of entertainment is grow-ups dressed as tomatoes jumping on a bun is, than go for it. I go at least once or twice a year hoping I will enjoy the experience. But I leave feeling underwhelmed by the game and the product. But I get it, its an ok place to go with family and friends and spend a nice summer night out, but that is about it.

Anyway I would think the average Squirrels attendance is about the same as VCU basketball. I find that ummmm, I don't know, weird.

Well....I'd counter that minor league baseball is exceptionally exciting and interesting if you are following the teams of your franchise. One of the problems with the Flying Squirrels is that they are an affiliate of the SF Giants....not many of those knockin around the RVa area.

As a Phillies fan? I can (and have) easily made the treks to Reading/Lehigh Valley for their AA/AAA games. By the way, BOTH are beautiful stadiums with excellent (not overpriced) food and local beers....

Many Many Many minor league/Indy league franchises offer quality baseball at affordable prices...

Just my 2 cents.....I DO wish RVa took a page out of Charlotte's notebook and build a baseball stadium near Shockoe/Downtown. Truist Field is a really nice place to take in a game

141192452_10158644534196634_7568076229327400945_o.jpg

Back