For Funsies: Conference Reallignment/Creation

West Coast folks are pretty secure at the moment that the current PAC schools minus SC and UCLA (to the B1G) are staying, plus adding two others (probably SDSU, SMU). Some of the commentators out their have accuse the Big 12 of blowing a lot of smoke where there is no real fire, to weaken the PAC and create doubts. There's also some rumbling among some UCLA backers about second thoughts about going to the B1G. Of course it's too late now, that's basically a done deal.

The PAC 12 is far from being out of the woods. They still don't have a new TV contract and Colorado is actively talking to the Big 12. The Big 12 had meetings this last week specifically related to expansion. If Sanders gives his blessing for Colorado to move to the Big 12, they are gone. It appears he has a vote in this regarding Colorado's future. I also think Gonzaga is a real possibility too. The wild cards in this expansion, though, are Arizona, Arizona State and Utah. The Big 12 wants the "four corners" for football and the west coast time slot. I don't see UConn in play unless the other "four corners" schools do not follow Colorado to the Big 12.

They’re not taking any of the full time ACC teams anytime soon unless enough schools can get together to end the Grant of Rights agreement. And that doesn’t seem likely to happen in the near term. If and when things shake out so that ACC teams can leave without committing financial suicide, I think both UNC and UVA will be their primary targets. I could see them adding Miami too. A lot of UNC fans that I know really want the move to happen. There’s no way for ACC schools to remain competitive in the long term if they’re bringing in $20, $30, $40 million less per year from the conference compared to what SEC and Big Ten schools are bringing in with their conference revenues.
Agree but I would go further as to say they aren't getting out of the GOR. The GOR is doing what it's supposed to, keeping the conference enact. The ACC benefited from a higher contract up front for that long term GOR. Now the media partners are getting theirs.

The PAC 12 is far from being out of the woods. They still don't have a new TV contract and Colorado is actively talking to the Big 12. The Big 12 had meetings this last week specifically related to expansion. If Sanders gives his blessing for Colorado to move to the Big 12, they are gone. It appears he has a vote in this regarding Colorado's future. I also think Gonzaga is a real possibility too. The wild cards in this expansion, though, are Arizona, Arizona State and Utah. The Big 12 wants the "four corners" for football and the west coast time slot. I don't see UConn in play unless the other "four corners" schools do not follow Colorado to the Big 12.
Source? Really I've read articles saying this is a done deal, only to have an article the next day saying it's not happening. Colorado AD and President say it's not happening. It may. I have no inside info. But a lot of my west coast friends have little trust in anything that the Big 12 says. As I said, they've been blowing a lot of smoke where there is not real fire. Rumors are that what is known of the PAC's media deal is it will not be competitive with the B1G and SEC, but will be competitive with the Big 12. My bigger concern is that Oregon and Washington go to the B1G. I'm an Oregon football fan and I don't want to see them go to the Big Slow and Ugly conference. Even if the money is better.

Source? Really I've read articles saying this is a done deal, only to have an article the next day saying it's not happening. Colorado AD and President say it's not happening. It may. I have no inside info. But a lot of my west coast friends have little trust in anything that the Big 12 says. As I said, they've been blowing a lot of smoke where there is not real fire. Rumors are that what is known of the PAC's media deal is it will not be competitive with the B1G and SEC, but will be competitive with the Big 12. My bigger concern is that Oregon and Washington go to the B1G. I'm an Oregon football fan and I don't want to see them go to the Big Slow and Ugly conference. Even if the money is better.
If I’m an Oregon fan, then I want to be in the Big Ten tomorrow.

You know what would be kinda fun? A 32 team basketball team league with two divisions. You play your division once a year (division A) and the other division (division B) once every other year. Every 2 years, the bottom of Division A gets relegated to Division B and the top two of Division B get relegated. For the conference tournament, you either put divisions on opposite sides of the bracket or just seed by record.

No ones relegating unfortunately. There will be a schism but that won't be it I'm certain.

If I’m an Oregon fan, then I want to be in the Big Ten tomorrow.
I live in the middle of Big slow and Ugly land, for the most part it's boring football. Yeah, I get the finances and it might be necessary to be competitive for a NC, but I won't celebrate it.
I really want to see what happens with USC and UCLA. Certainly it will mean more money, but it will mean more expense in travel and logistics. Playing at State College, Lansing, Ann Arbor... for football and basketball will be one thing, for non or low revenue sports the grind of travel could be a game changer.

Last edited:
If they went PAC 12, then that would be something. :)

If they go to the Big 12 (which they should if they’re offered), then that might lead to Big East expansion very soon. I think the Big East is just about to renegotiate their expiring TV deal, so even rumors of UConnn leaving is really bad for them right now.

I’d rather play in a Big East with UConn, but I’ll shed no tears if them leaving is what gets us an invite. My dream:

UConn leaves.
Big East TV contract negotiations are ongoing.
Athletic Village, Green City, and the baseball stadium are in the works.
Big East adds 2 teams (VCU to have 6 east coast teams and either Dayton or St. Louis to have 6 “western” division teams).

If they went PAC 12, then that would be something. :)

If they go to the Big 12 (which they should if they’re offered), then that might lead to Big East expansion very soon. I think the Big East is just about to renegotiate their expiring TV deal, so even rumors of UConnn leaving is really bad for them right now.

I’d rather play in a Big East with UConn, but I’ll shed no tears if them leaving is what gets us an invite. My dream:

UConn leaves.
Big East TV contract negotiations are ongoing.
Athletic Village, Green City, and the baseball stadium are in the works.
Big East adds 2 teams (VCU to have 6 east coast teams and either Dayton or St. Louis to have 6 “western” division teams).

While that potential scenario unfolds VCU having nationally relevant teams next several years can go a long way to continue showing bb world it’s our school and our program. Coaches and players come and go yet excellence continues. That and tv market/geography makes for an attractive offering to any bb oriented conference.

If Big 12 take Uconn, they are going after a stellar basketball program.
If the BE goes after SLU as a replacement, it means they don't give a crap about basketball and only care about market share. But I guess market share does mean more media dollars when the contract is redone. But if you add a relatively weak program like SLU (over the last decade), I think it could also hurt in contract negotiations. But BE may also go for a more mid-west/western school like SLU to help complement Creighton and Butler.
Unfortunately, I think the BE, like the A10 as it currently stands has gotten weaker over the last decade. While Villanova and UConn have won national titles in the last 10 years, they seem like the only programs that are really competitive in the BE. A number of programs seemed to have really dropped off with perhaps the biggest drop coming from GT. Well, it seems that way to me but I am not a hard nose follower of the BE so I could be wrong. Still it's a stronger conference than the A10 and a conference I would be more than happy to join if we are ever asked.

If the BE goes after SLU as a replacement, it means they don't give a crap about basketball and only care about market share. But I guess market share does mean more media dollars when the contract is redone. But if you add a relatively weak program like SLU (over the last decade), I think it could also hurt in contract negotiations. But BE may also go for a more mid-west/western school like SLU to help complement Creighton and Butler.
Unfortunately, I think the BE, like the A10 as it currently stands has gotten weaker over the last decade. While Villanova and UConn have won national titles in the last 10 years, they seem like the only programs that are really competitive in the BE. A number of programs seemed to have really dropped off with perhaps the biggest drop coming from GT. Well, it seems that way to me but I am not a hard nose follower of the BE so I could be wrong. Still it's a stronger conference than the A10 and a conference I would be more than happy to join if we are ever asked.
Watch out for St. Johns this year

The Big East was the third or fourth best conference last year depending on which metric you look at. Losing UConn would hurt, but with Marquette, Creighton, Villanova, and Xavier they’re a strong conference even without the Huskies. St. John’s just hired Rick Pitino. I can’t imagine Georgetown will stay down forever. And schools like Providence and Seton Hall aren’t pushovers.

Dayton would be a better addition than SLU, but they already have an Ohio team. Markets and fanbases are important.

I’m biased, but I think VCU explodes as an athletic department and university if we get into the Big East. It would not only be huge for the school but for the city and the metro area. I think we would immediately be competitive and would become the best overall athletic department in the conference within a few years.

Back