Forced to be reseated in a non-reseating year????

I already gave my $ to a friend that I am going in with. I am paid in full for my donation and tickets. VCU will get my donation but not from me. My old seats are available so hope they can fill them.
We've done this for many years and have really good seats. I don't manage the donations and have zero idea how it works. I just enjoy the seats.

Thanks for the follow up. I personally don't care what any individual gives but a thought did cross my mind. For the sake of round numbers lets say there are 10 seats for 10k donors. If 5 of those donors start giving 20K or more and 5 stop giving doesn't the athletics department still reach their goal? Does this also allow for "fans" to have the opportunity to get closer to the action as I saw several "complaints" about "corporate suits" getting all the good seats.

As a former season ticket holder, I just started paying more attention to this as a couple of us who are out of town are considering grouping together and buying in again so that we can have tickets in hand when we decide to to come to Richmond. It would be rare that we were all there at the same time but it would allow each of us to attend 3 or 4 home games without looking for tickets on the secondary market
That would be the same amount of money, but the Season tickets would be lost for the those who dropped out. It would be the next reseating if the 20K donors wanted to increase to the total seats they are allowed per their donation level, if they are not already at it. (see benefit chart for number allowed) The VCU policy of where new donors are offered seat selection, seems to me that VCU will restrict the selection based on the level of the seating map. I do wonder what VCU would do if the total number of lower-level donors exceed the number of seats available for that level. Would they deny them seats? It is the $2,500 and lower-level donors who purchased the most season tickets. When there are less than half the 5,000 season tickets sold, there is serious problem. Reseating lower level (long time?) donors, is upsetting donors from my view of comments posted here. I've had season tickets since 1978 and gave up my CCM seats, due to the large $750 increase to B&G level. I doubt VCU has really looked at the impact of the large raise. Is the amount of the total $750 increase more than the $1,000 lost donors and their season tickets? Ed needs to go to a Bus. class and have the students explain the law of supply and demand to him.

Season tickets are pretty cheap if you sit in the cheapest sections, behind the basket. They aren't bad seats either. I think they lowered the required donation for those seats too IIRC.

$75 RAF donation + $449/ticket gets you the cheapest seats.
My map shows $250 minimum donation plus $449 for upper bleacher seats behind the basket in the upper rows.
$75 is the starting point on the RAF benefit chart. But $250 level is when you can start getting season tickets.

$75 RAF donation + $449/ticket gets you the cheapest seats.
would be interesting to see our prices vs other a10 schools
I would guess that VCU season ticket prices are higher for seats in end zones and at other schools require no donation

I would guess that season ticket prices for top donors are comparable but gift requirements are higher at VCU (tried to find Dayton prices but no luck, St louis has no gift requirements for end zone seats and appears less for between baselines for VCU)

building Siegel Center the size it is allows VCU to charge premium because of smaller capacities than Dayton and St Louis and a few others

That would be the same amount of money, but the Season tickets would be lost for the those who dropped out. It would be the next reseating if the 20K donors wanted to increase to the total seats they are allowed per their donation level, if they are not already at it. (see benefit chart for number allowed) The VCU policy of where new donors are offered seat selection, seems to me that VCU will restrict the selection based on the level of the seating map. I do wonder what VCU would do if the total number of lower-level donors exceed the number of seats available for that level. Would they deny them seats? It is the $2,500 and lower-level donors who purchased the most season tickets. When there are less than half the 5,000 season tickets sold, there is serious problem. Reseating lower level (long time?) donors, is upsetting donors from my view of comments posted here. I've had season tickets since 1978 and gave up my CCM seats, due to the large $750 increase to B&G level. I doubt VCU has really looked at the impact of the large raise. Is the amount of the total $750 increase more than the $1,000 lost donors and their season tickets? Ed needs to go to a Bus. class and have the students explain the law of supply and demand to him.
That makes sense. I am just trying to consider all the possibilities. As with anything there are at least three sides to every story. Its hard for me to imagine that any AD would intentional sabotage revenue as fund raising is on of the primary job responsibilities

would be interesting to see our prices vs other a10 schools
I would guess that VCU season ticket prices are higher for seats in end zones and at other schools require no donation

I would guess that season ticket prices for top donors are comparable but gift requirements are higher at VCU (tried to find Dayton prices but no luck, St louis has no gift requirements for end zone seats and appears less for between baselines for VCU)

building Siegel Center the size it is allows VCU to charge premium because of smaller capacities than Dayton and St Louis and a few others
I compared our season ticket prices to all of the A10 and a fair amount of P6 schools a few years ago and posted it here. I believe we are the highest prices in the A10 and we're also higher than a lot of P5 schools too. In terms of both entry level prices and top end prices.

My map shows $250 minimum donation plus $449 for upper bleacher seats behind the basket in the upper rows.
$75 is the starting point on the RAF benefit chart. But $250 level is when you can start getting season tickets.
I was told by the ticket office that the min donation was lowered to $75. I believe if you look at the chart you can buy season tickets in sections 32 and 35 with that. Last year the min was $250 to buy tickets. Some areas the requirement to sit there is still $250.

I compared our season ticket prices to all of the A10 and a fair amount of P6 schools a few years ago and posted it here. I believe we are the highest prices in the A10 and we're also higher than a lot of P5 schools too. In terms of both entry level prices and top end prices.
I started taking a look and then I stopped becasue I asked myself who should I really compare VCU ticket prices to to understand where we fall in the market.

The only two schools that I would consider in the A10 would be Dayton and SLU and they both have revenue streams we don't. All P6' that I considered also had revenue streams that we don't

So my genuine question is what school(s) out there would you say VCU compares to that have a similar limited revenue stream?(or lack there of).

I started taking a look and then I stopped becasue I asked myself who should I really compare VCU ticket prices to to understand where we fall in the market.

The only two schools that I would consider in the A10 would be Dayton and SLU and they both have revenue streams we don't. All P6' that I considered also had revenue streams that we don't

So my genuine question is what school(s) out there would you say VCU compares to that have a similar limited revenue stream?(or lack there of).
Should we be spending like we have revenue streams that are not present? Or is the financial situation within VCU Athletics not as dire as it seems? We have a ton of student fees coming in to subsidize the program(s). We also have fairly good attendance numbers and a steady stram of NCAA shares coming our way. Could we be fine financially and are just swinging for the fences when it comes to season tickets/ donation requirements? I hear all this doom and gloom but we seem to be standing strong on our expenses. If there are cuts being made (other than to donor perks) I do not see them.

Should we be spending like we have revenue streams that are not present? Or is the financial situation within VCU Athletics not as dire as it seems? We have a ton of student fees coming in to subsidize the program(s). We also have fairly good attendance numbers and a steady stram of NCAA shares coming our way. Could we be fine financially and are just swinging for the fences when it comes to season tickets/ donation requirements? I hear all this doom and gloom but we seem to be standing strong on our expenses. If there are cuts being made (other than to donor perks) I do not see them.
I don't have an answer to all your questions but
  • No we should not be spending money we don't have
  • It's possible that we are swinging for the fences but that would feel more like a gamblers move that a business taking a calculated risk/reward play based on data
  • I also am not aware of any expense reductions but I don't think I would be for a lot of "savings" that would be implemented
Not all change is good nor is all change bad but you can be sure that change is not going to make everyone happy 🤷‍♂️

Back