Former Rams Head Coach Dana Kirk has died.

I always liked Coach Dana. Prayers and thoughts go out to his family, friends and ramnation.

darn, that really stinks. He coached here before I was born, but I'm thankful nonetheless for his work helping establish VCU basketball.

I am indeed sorry to hear of Dana Kirk's death. I always saw Dana as a coach who let his players play for 35 minutes. Then he took over the last five minutes and managed every second. He took VCU to its first post-season tournament--1978, first round of NIT. I will view the NIT pennant tomorrow at the Siegel Center with a special emotion. His record at VCU was:

1976-77 13-13
1977-78 24- 5
1978-79 20- 5

Overall, 57 wins and 23 losses.

He and Coach Chuck Noe set the environment for a winning attitude at VCU. It seems as if Coach Kirk destroyed his coaching career at Memphis. So sad. May he rest in peace.

I remember Dana as a guy who could flat out recruit and the owner of some of the ugliest polyester leisure suits that ever left the rack at Burlington Coat Factory. Some of the talent that he coached in his very short stint here was just awesome. R4L you failed to mention that in the '78 ECAC tourney VCU beat a very good Georgetown squad at their place and then lost a close game to a Dick Vitale coached Detroit squad, also at their place.

I was vacationing in Jamaica at the time in a failed attempt to save my relationship with my then girlfriend and remember buying every newspaper I could get my hands on to find out about the Rams. Sigh, but I digress.

I am also saddened by the death of Dana. He was a folksy charmer and a darn good coach. The story that I remember, someone could correct me, is that after Chuck Noe was dismissed, then Lewis (losing Lew, that is what UR people called him) Mills, quickly found Dana who was also released as assistant coach at Louisville under Denny Crum. Dana at the time was assistant manger of a fast food restaurant in Louisville. He was known to dress in polyester leisure suits.

I hope they do something tonight at the game to recognize Coach Kirk! A moment of silence at the very least...

ViCtorioUs said:
I remember Dana as a guy who could flat out recruit and the owner of some of the ugliest polyester leisure suits that ever left the rack at Burlington Coat Factory. Some of the talent that he coached in his very short stint here was just awesome. R4L you failed to mention that in the '78 ECAC tourney VCU beat a very good Georgetown squad at their place and then lost a close game to a Dick Vitale coached Detroit squad, also at their place.

I was vacationing in Jamaica at the time in a failed attempt to save my relationship with my then girlfriend and remember buying every newspaper I could get my hands on to find out about the Rams. Sigh, but I digress.

The Detroit game was VCU's first trip to the NIT. Regarding Dana's suits, he had one particular three piece suit that was a black and gold plaid. It was god awful ugly, but I think he wore it just for the attention. He really did look like a used car salesman on the sidelines.

I was at the Georgetown game. It was the ECAC South Finals, played at a "neutral" site for both teams - @ GWU, just down the street from Georgetown. John Thompson was the coach of Georgetown. VCU then went on to Buffalo where they lost in the ECAC Finals to Niagara and then ended up in the NIT. Let's also not forget the questionable 5 second call (actually closer to 4 seconds) against VCU in the VCU/ODU played at the Coliseum. VCU got screwed and Dana must have replayed the call on his TV show at least 5 times and was very open regarding how VCU got screwed. You had to love his personality!

Dana also left J.D. Barnett with some very talented players. Penny Elliot, Monty Knight, Danny Kottak, Greg McCray, Edmond Sherod and Kenny Stancil were all recruit by Dana and later played for J.D.

We lost to St. Bonaventure, not Niagra.

VRam said:
We lost to St. Bonaventure, not Niagra.

You are correct, my bad and it was played in Rochester, not Buffalo. That was the '77-'78 season. The ODU game was in '78-'79 and probably cost VCU another trip to the ECAC South finals. I didn't realize it, but 4 of VCU's last 6 games that year went int OT.

My guess is that some of the newer fans don't have an interest in the history of this program, but I get a huge kick out of hearing about the players, coaches and games from years ago, as well as our fans recollection of these individuals and occurances.

I'm just sorry that such a sad event is stirring up everyone's memory.

He would really fire up the fans during the Rams Club luncheons. After a couple years, he was anxious to move onto bigger things. Fame and glory was his downfall.

They used to have a Saturday morning basketball show (before Cable) called the Packer-Thacker Report. Of course, it was hosted by Billy Packer and college broadcasting great Jim Thacker. One week they did a feature on VCU - interviewed Dana at the Coliseum. He really talked up the fans and the program, and said VCU had the best pep band in the Nation. And yes, he wore the plaid suit for the interview.

Dana lived next door to a friend, coworker, and softball teammate of mine. Dana would attend some of our softball games and introduced me to the concept of what he called "power naps". It's the ablility to nap for 10-15 minutes and wake up totally refreshed. He would always wear his white Panama hat and a very, very short pair of shorts to the games.
He was quite a salesman..... ice to Eskimos kinda' thing.

Back