Former Rams Head Coach Dana Kirk has died.

BigE said:
VCU4LIFE said:
ViCtorioUs said:
My guess is that some of the newer fans don't have an interest in the history of this program, but I get a huge kick out of hearing about the players, coaches and games from years ago, as well as our fans recollection of these individuals and occurances.

I dunno why all you old farts assume things like this about all of us young guys! :lol: Actually, I'm pretty quickly moving into the old fart category myself. :oops:
Anyway, I know I pay attention to the past a little more than most of the younger generation of fans, but I think part of the big reason that we as a whole don't seem to care is because there really isn't much out there about our past history. We have a few things on the upper concourse of the Siegel Center and of course a few banners, but beyond that there really isn't much there to educate the students and younger fans about VCU's past. I really hope they are able to put together some sort of video montage in honor of Coach Kirk to show during tonights game, and maybe they should do that on a regular basis - show a video of some sort of past accomplishment maybe at halftime of each of the home games so people can learn about what we have achieved prior to their time following VCU basketball!

...because no one reads anymore

Huh? I don't follow.....if you are saying that info is out there and just not being read, it's not because people don't care (again, I certainly do!), it's because anything that does exist is not easily found! If your response was at all serious, then please place what you find on the boards for those of us in the younger generation of fans can access it!

ViCtorioUs said:
Bighorn, I found your post to be enormously compelling, informative and entertaining. While I couldn't afford to stake you to writing a history of this program, I certainly would pay good money to buy it and read it. I thank you, sir.

I second this! Take all of your previous posts and eliminate the stuff about the Lone Ranger and flag football and you will be off to a great start.

VRam said:
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_basketball/article/KIRK17_20100216-222807/324789/

Nice picture of "the suit."

Where can I get one of those. It is awesome.

Hmm, ram's horns and a gold and black plaid leisure suit with the shirt open to the waist. Big gold bling. I'm liking this the more I picture it.

Forget the Blackout. We need to get Black and Gold plaid leisure suits (even if we have to color them ourselves) and wear the Sat for our "televised" game as a tribute.

Pavarotti said:
VRam said:
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_basketball/article/KIRK17_20100216-222807/324789/

Nice picture of "the suit."

Where can I get one of those. It is awesome.

Try Rose's in Ashland, or Harold Penner man of fashion on Southside!

since we've been talking about Ram history, I thought I'd post a link I just found... maybe everyone already knows about this/where to find it, but I hadn't seen the full thing... lots of cool stuff in there, from stats to historical tidbits, and it includes small pieces on all the former coaches, including Coach Kirk

>>> VCU Men's Basketball Online Media Guide <<<

Coach Kirk looked like he was very good coach...and a fancy dresser from the sidelines. :lol:

I honestly don't know that much about him (except his dresswear) since I'm a younger Ram fan. But I like hearing and listening to VCU history, very interesting stuff in my opinion. It's sad that he's gone, R.I.P Coach Kirk. :)

artRAMinMN said:
I just couldn't let that first post of the page stay as the only post on a new page :evil:

Thanks for this 'horn, and also to the others helping to tell the history of the Rams. It isn't just the newer crop of Rams fans that might need the history lesson ...I think a lot of us "middle children" (of the Polio/Sonny/Mac years :| ) also haven't had nearly enough exposure to the history of the program... of course, some of the blame for that is the program's for hiding the ball. I truly wish that the school would undertake a project to get a good history documented, and take advantage of the breadth and depth of the institutional memory of Ram fandom.

I good start for the Athletic Department would be a nice trophy case. VCU has a ton of trophys that would tell a lot about our history if they were displayed. Why VCU does not have one in the Stu for all fans to see is beyond me. My guess is VCU's history is stuffed in a closet somewhere in either Franklin Street Gym or the Stu. What a shame!!!

Wolfpack Ram said:
artRAMinMN said:
I just couldn't let that first post of the page stay as the only post on a new page :evil:

Thanks for this 'horn, and also to the others helping to tell the history of the Rams. It isn't just the newer crop of Rams fans that might need the history lesson ...I think a lot of us "middle children" (of the Polio/Sonny/Mac years :| ) also haven't had nearly enough exposure to the history of the program... of course, some of the blame for that is the program's for hiding the ball. I truly wish that the school would undertake a project to get a good history documented, and take advantage of the breadth and depth of the institutional memory of Ram fandom.

I good start for the Athletic Department would be a nice trophy case. VCU has a ton of trophys that would tell a lot about our history if they were displayed. Why VCU does not have one in the Stu for all fans to see is beyond me. My guess is VCU's history is stuffed in a closet somewhere in either Franklin Street Gym or the Stu. What a shame!!!

That sounds like a good idea... and it could encompass other VCU athletic successes too... like a mini-museum, partly with permanent stuff like trophies, and also with changing exhibits that maybe take a more focused look at specific athletes and/or events.

That said, I also think it would help if there was more outreach beyond the Stu, beyond campus, and beyond Richmond. It might help, in some small part, to push VCU basketball as more than just a local phenomenon. The media guide has some great info, but it is (naturally and understandably) heavy on stats and lists, and not as in-depth on the fuzzier side of history. I know there was a book published about ODU's basketball (or perhaps it was all athletics?) history. I wish we had something like that... something that went way beyond the numbers and the record book, and took a warts-and-all look at the program over the years.... maybe 'horn and Litos should collaborate?

I once asked why the rest-room signs in the Siegel Center were not more obvious so that people would identify them quickly. The answer I got, "We use the upper level for non-athletic receptions and we don't to spoil the area with such large signs." I wonder if they would say the same thing about trophy cases? Just asking!

Back