Former Recruits and Players

To save us on listening to him, what exactly did he say?
He didn't say VCU wasnt good enough.

Rothstein asked him if the gap between P5 and even the good MM was widening and he said yes. He also stated the committee would never let us know what criteria they were using and that the goal posts were being moved constantly. He stated the P5 and Big 10 in general didnt have as tough a time with getting bids or seeding.

He also stated that it was the opportunity to coach at the highest level, and a chance to work with the AD and President who knew what they wanted to do and how to use the basketball program to benefit the university.

Look they are paying the guy guaranteed money what the heck was he supposed to say? I came because I like my bosses. It was hard to leave the kids we recruited. A jobs a job leaving wasnt tough but leaving the players was different,

Look if you want to be angry or offended, anything will do. If you dont give AF then you weren't. Mike is good. We are good. Odom is here and as such that's where I am focused.

I dont know that this is true or not. However, if he had an issue with Ed would anyone be surprised? If Mike Rao supported Ed over Mike would anyone be angry with Mike for feeling a certain way? I wouldnt. Look didnt Shaka just recently state that he would have stayed at VCU longer had Norwood stayed? Wasnt that kind of a back hand slap at Ed or at least could be considered one?

I personally wasnt offended. Do I care if psu wins or loses? Sure dont. Why would I? But what Mike said wasnt a big deal IMO.

Last edited:
So I haven't listened to it, still debating. But riddle me this, MR begged AG for a job, worked under SS and went to the FF, chose to accept the HC job when supposedly he was in the mix for a HC job somewhere else. With all of that and all his experience with VCU, why did he take job and multiple extensions if VCU was not good enough?
That's not what he said. See my post or listen. I didnt get that at all from what the guy said.

I have a weird question, and I figure this is the place to ask. How tall was De'Riante Jenkins when he was here? I was just thinking about him and was hunting around to see what he was up to. MULTIPLE places, including an old page from the VCU site, list him as 6'5'' or 6'6''. Why do I remember him being a lot taller than that?

He didn't say VCU wasnt good enough.

Rothstein asked him if the gap between P5 and even the good MM was widening and he said yes. He also stated the committee would never let us know what criteria they were using and that the goal posts were being moved constantly. He stated the P5 and Big 10 in general didnt have as tough a time with getting bids or seeding.

He also stated that it was the opportunity to coach at the highest level, and a chance to work with the AD and President who knew what they wanted to do and how to use the basketball program to benefit the university.

Look they are paying the guy guaranteed money what the heck was he supposed to say? I came because I like my bosses. It was hard to leave the kids we recruited. A jobs a job leaving wasnt tough but leaving the players was different,

Look if you want to be angry or offended, anything will do. If you dont give AF then you weren't. Mike is good. We are good. Odom is here and as such that's where I am focused.

I dont know that this is true or not. However, if he had an issue with Ed would anyone be surprised? If Mike Rao supported Ed over Mike would anyone be angry with Mike for feeling a certain way? I wouldnt. Look didnt Shaka just recently state that he would have stayed at VCU longer had Norwood stayed? Wasnt that kind of a back hand slap at Ed or at least could be considered one?

I personally wasnt offended. Do I care if psu wins, sure dont. But what he said wasnt a big deal.
I find it kind of funny that you directed this reply at me and not the people that were commenting on what Mike said.

Reactions: SWV
Excellent point. There will be a pass for year one, but not much beyond that. $3.5 M is a lot of money, I don't care if it's the main sport or not.
We paid the guy 1.7 and had the same expectations. If I were Mike and I didnt really love my boss, and was in the same situation I'd have left as well.

At the end of the day, I think most people would.

Last edited:
I find it kind of funny that you directed this reply at me and not the people that were commenting on what Mike said.
Heel why so sensitive? You asked what he said, I just piggy backed off a comment you made which I found relevant. Also, thought if you had that question others did also.

If it makes you happy I'll delete my post and tag someone else or I'll just post it without tagging.

Let me know if that's what you'd like.

Last edited:
I have a weird question, and I figure this is the place to ask. How tall was De'Riante Jenkins when he was here? I was just thinking about him and was hunting around to see what he was up to. MULTIPLE places, including an old page from the VCU site, list him as 6'5'' or 6'6''. Why do I remember him being a lot taller than that?
Because he was so lanky and long. He was 6'5 or 6'6 but looked and played bigger. I thought so as well.

Heel why so sensitive? I just piggy backed off a comment you made which I found relevant. If it makes you happy I'll delete my post and tag someone else or I'll just post it without tagging.

Let me know if that's what you'd like.
I don’t really care. It just seemed like you were directing the post at people that posted things about the interview that you felt were inaccurate.

I don’t really care. It just seemed like you were directing the post at people that posted things about the interview that you felt were inaccurate.
Nope not the case. Seriously bro you have a lot of time on your hands if you comment on being singled out then state you dont care. As stated, I thought your post was relevant and I was answering your question as to what he said so that you wouldnt have to listed to it, as such I piggy backed off of it.

Fwiw, I dont want to get into an argument with someone over another mans statement and life choices.

Again, I'll remove and repost if you'd like.

I listened. MR basically said these things:
1. You can't get it done as a mid major. Complained about being a 12 seed after winning the A10 regular and tournament.

Did he not watch the rest of the tournament after he got swatted by St Mary's? FAU, SDSU, Princeton and Gonzaga faired pretty well.

2. In the Big10 every team makes the NCAA tournament, or its very easy to make the tournament.

Hmmmm. That's a head scratcher. Sure, there's some advantage in a P6 conference, but its not a guarantee. Ask Michigan.

3. It easy, and pretty much expected that Big10 teams will advance deep into the NCAA tournament.

I'm looking at one Big10 team, Mich St, in the Sweet 16. Zero Big10 teams in the Elite 8 and Final 4. Zero.

As a mid major, to get seeded higher than 12 you have to win games outside of your conference when you have the opportunity. Memphis and AZ State for example. Vandy was a pretty nice win, as it turned out. And you can't afford to lose to teams like Jacksonville and a very bad St Bonny.

To advance in the tournament it takes a little luck and matchups help, but its usually about having a team that's good/balanced on both sides of the ball. Having multiple 3 point shooters on the floor. Having a legit big or 2. And for mid majors, having older guys on the team who can control their emotions and play steady on the big stage.

Come on Mike R, the opportunities where there, the players, the fans, you just didn't win the games that really mattered, and lost some real head scratchers. Is it all your fault, of course not, but real leaders credit their players for success and blame themselves for shortcomings. Real leaders don't blame the AD or fans or the circumstances.

I listened. MR basically said these things:
1. You can't get it done as a mid major. Complained about being a 12 seed after winning the A10 regular and tournament.

Did he not watch the rest of the tournament after he got swatted by St Mary's? FAU, SDSU, Princeton and Gonzaga faired pretty well.

2. In the Big10 every team makes the NCAA tournament, or its very easy to make the tournament.

Hmmmm. That's a head scratcher. Sure, there's some advantage in a P6 conference, but its not a guarantee. Ask Michigan.

3. It easy, and pretty much expected that Big10 teams will advance deep into the NCAA tournament.

I'm looking at one Big10 team, Mich St, in the Sweet 16. Zero Big10 teams in the Elite 8 and Final 4. Zero.

As a mid major, to get seeded higher than 12 you have to win games outside of your conference when you have the opportunity. Memphis and AZ State for example. Vandy was a pretty nice win, as it turned out. And you can't afford to lose to teams like Jacksonville and a very bad St Bonny.

To advance in the tournament it takes a little luck and matchups help, but its usually about having a team that's good/balanced on both sides of the ball. Having multiple 3 point shooters on the floor. Having a legit big or 2. And for mid majors, having older guys on the team who can control their emotions and play steady on the big stage.

Come on Mike R, the opportunities where there, the players, the fans, you just didn't win the games that really mattered, and lost some real head scratchers. Is it all your fault, of course not, but real leaders credit their players for success and blame themselves for shortcomings. Real leaders don't blame the AD or fans or the circumstances.
Yeah. The B1G is typically the most disappointing conference in the tournament. They'll get 8 or 9 teams in the tournament, sure, but almost all of them lose in the first two rounds practically every single year. This year the B1G got 8 bids and only Michigan State got to the Sweet 16, where they were eliminated. In 2022, they got 9 bids (including Indiana with a sub-.500 conference record) and only Purdue and Michigan made it to the Sweet 16, where both lost (Purdue losing to Saint Peter's). The teams are usually good enough to get there but they don't typically get the job done once they're there.

Yeah. The B1G is typically the most disappointing conference in the tournament. They'll get 8 or 9 teams in the tournament, sure, but almost all of them lose in the first two rounds practically every single year. This year the B1G got 8 bids and only Michigan State got to the Sweet 16, where they were eliminated. In 2022, they got 9 bids (including Indiana with a sub-.500 conference record) and only Purdue and Michigan made it to the Sweet 16, where both lost (Purdue losing to Saint Peter's). The teams are usually good enough to get there but they don't typically get the job done once they're there.
Which then begs the question, were they really good enough to get there in the first place?

Back