Former Recruits and Players

Another completely made up narrative.

Nunn was going to stay if Rhoades hadn't left. He said it.

Tshonis left because he wanted to go back to the West Coast.

Banks got buried on the bench because he never exhibited a consistent perimeter game.

Mikeal Brown Jones left because he wanted guaranteed PT and didn't want to compete the deloach. I know this because he went UNC-Greensboro and played the same system under another former Shaka assistant..Mike Jones.
The point is that WHEN THEY LEFT their game improved dramatically. It begs the question, what was Rhoades not doing that these players developed so quickly. I was a Rhoades supporter, but seeing what these players have done under other coaches, not so much anymore.

The point is that WHEN THEY LEFT their game improved dramatically. It begs the question, what was Rhoades not doing that these players developed so quickly. I was a Rhoades supporter, but seeing what these players have done under other coaches, not so much anymore.
I'll be honest.... I think part of the problem under MR was.... we had certain players who always needed to have the ball in their hands.... which often led to other players getting frustrated.... because they'd be wide open in the corner, or open, with a path to the basket or what not.... and they'd never get the ball until it was too late.

There were many of times over the years where players like Nunn, Kern, Watkins, Jenkins, some of our bigs... would be open but instead of the person with the ball (Usually Marcus, Bones or Ace) passing it to them for a better look or opportunity at a higher % shot..... they would take would run out the shot clock & take a lower % shot or would try to drive to the basket & draw a foul.... not get the foul, and then complain about it halfway up the court.

And a lot of times for one reason or another... the offense seemed stagnant.... people just standing around.

To me, guys like Nunn, Kern, Watkins are much better when the offense is moving fluently. And I would say Watkins & Nunn showed that at their new spots this past season.... and Kern improved his game this year as well, despite still being under Rhoades.

I for one think that Fermin will be better in 24-25 and even better in 25-26 . As far as scoring avg it will be dependent upon how much Odom designs the offense for our big/s to get touches in the paint and how Fermin improves his footwork and develops some pump fakes etc at the rim

he also needs to get a little better with handling the ball and maybe that means a few moves where he catches the ball 10-12 ft from the rim and faces up to the basket and learns a few moves which include a dribble or two without allowing guards to pick his pocket ( I hated MR's use of his bigs especially the asking them to set picks 25 feet from the rim and bust arse to roll to the rim and rarely seeing the ball and then expect them to bust tail to run 94 feet to play defense - you need to give the big a little candy now and then in your offensive sets - boy I feel like I am sounding like DL )

can Fermin do it YES - will he likely be 1st or 2nd team all a10 NO

in my 50 years of fandom - watching bigs develop is measured more in years than months - hard to remember a freshman big with enough polish to be a game changer for VCU (even sophomores)

takes lots of reps for a center to develop especially one that comes from average to below average high school competition

I'll be honest.... I think part of the problem under MR was.... we had certain players who always needed to have the ball in their hands.... which often led to other players getting frustrated.... because they'd be wide open in the corner, or open, with a path to the basket or what not.... and they'd never get the ball until it was too late.

DingDingDing!!......Live by the Alpha, Die by the Alpha.....there's a reason the FF4 team did what they did....true team, kills you 6 or 7 different ways but STILL had the Alpha if we needed him (Bradford)

This past year Odom ran his system through Shulga. Does that mean that Odom falls into the MR camp and that we will never have success?

You guys are trying to make up every reason under the sun to denigrate MR. It's pretty pathetic if you ask me. Watkins got better throughout the his final year hear after sitting out a year due to injury. He continued his development at FSU. It's not inconceivable that talented players actually develop and get better each year they are in college. The same can be said of Nunn. His first year here he was Ok and took on a big role replace Ace initially. Then he moved to the 2 and continued his development. His development continued to grow as he entered his 2nd year with us and he was much better. He transfers and is even better his 3rd year.
Good players get better. That is what you are seeing. Nothing else. Sheesh.

I will wager that someone like Nunn is going to better next year…no matter who is the HC

Kinda how it works

All those area mentioned above improved after he got benched at VCU in favor of Kern and maintained at FSU.
Can’t argue with you that he improved after getting benched. Let’s be honest though, the version of Jamir Watkins playing in game 1 at FSU was not even in the same conversation as the kid playing his last game at VCU. He just held his own in the NBA combine and probably has as good of a chance as Vince did at getting drafted early 2nd round. Vince didn’t get a combine invite either.

Can you honestly say he would be on the NBA radar if he stayed with Mike Rhoades? Jamir would’ve taken a backseat to Ace. That’s a fact nobody can deny.

The NBA is elite and the 15th guy on each roster was a stud in college. Ace has never been the most talented player on his team in college. Jamir was just another role player deferring to Ace in Mike’s undisciplined “star ball” offense. Funny the player still with Mike isn’t even on the radar.

Hamilton ran offensive sets (what an absurd concept for a college basketball coach) to feature Jamir (his best pro prospect) taking advantage of his elite level college talent. There’s a reason Leonard Hamilton is one of the best all time in the ACC and likely a future HOF coach.

Back