Recruiting Freddie Dilione

I was told that a few months ago by someone in the AD. If things have changed, then they sure haven’t changed their recruiting strategy to adjust for it.

I think they’re concerned just like most coaches in the country are concerned. Things have changed dramatically for everyone over the last 2-3 years and no one knows how this will play out or how they will need to adjust. But at the end of the day, there are the same number of scholarships, the same number of minutes in a game and players on the floor, and a lot of those P5 teams are going to have awful records and miss the tournament.

Conference standings are a zero-sum game. There are going to be a lot of teams dishing out NIL and finishing 5-15 in their conference, not playing in the postseason, and watching very talented players bail on them despite their NIL money because of lack of playing time. VCU wasn’t signing those players very often to begin with. We might end up with better teams based on transfers than we were having from recruiting. I think it’s far too soon to panic or give up like some here are.
I am fine but two acronyms that worry me these days are....NIL & OOC.

VCU really needs a good NCAA 2nd weekend kind of season but not for the reason that most think. MR needs to prove he is the right X's and O's coach and again not for the reason you think. MR is the right type of coach for what will happen in 3 to 4 years. Right now, NIL is the shiny new toy and people with alot of money are throwing alot of it around. Here is the thing, those people expect a return on their investment. How many teams can win a BCS championship or better make it to the Bowl playoff? How many teams can make the sweet 16. In a couple years when these large donors are not getting that ROI, they are going to be less willing to hand over money for results they were already getting.

MR and his ability to sell family is going to continue to get us in the door with high caliber recruits. When the money starts to dry up and it will, VCU will still be a desirable destination as long as we can continue to build on the current foundation.

VCU really needs a good NCAA 2nd weekend kind of season but not for the reason that most think. MR needs to prove he is the right X's and O's coach and again not for the reason you think. MR is the right type of coach for what will happen in 3 to 4 years. Right now, NIL is the shiny new toy and people with alot of money are throwing alot of it around. Here is the thing, those people expect a return on their investment. How many teams can win a BCS championship or better make it to the Bowl playoff? How many teams can make the sweet 16. In a couple years when these large donors are not getting that ROI, they are going to be less willing to hand over money for results they were already getting.

MR and his ability to sell family is going to continue to get us in the door with high caliber recruits. When the money starts to dry up and it will, VCU will still be a desirable destination as long as we can continue to build on the current foundation.
He does need to prove he can win at least one NCAA Tourney game. Five years and none so far. Fans are going to get really restless if he doesn’t… especially if he misses the tournament again.

Someone can double check my math on this but I believe it is 16.
precisely so how many people are going to keep spending millions without realizing that goal. I am all for NIL and there will always be money to be made but some of the things we are seeing will not be sustainable

Speaking of NIL This has to be my current favorite

Yes, I'm wondering what will happen when some of the big NIL players end up a bust and the NIL investors don't get a good return on the investment. This is all new stuff, the wash cycle hasn't even started yet, the water has barely started to fill the tub. Sorry for the weird analogy, but you get the idea. How everything is going to come out in this wash is still to be determined.

The NIL process desperately needs rules and regulations regarding how it is administered. The NCAA's/Congress' hands are going to be forced to regulate the NIL process. It's currently out of control. Baseball free agency has far more rules/regulations than the NIL process. There is no way the NIL process can continue to move forward under the current scenario. I'm predicting the NIL process is going to look a whole lot different in the next two years. If not, college sports is going to take a big hit.

The NIL process desperately needs rules and regulations regarding how it is administered. The NCAA's/Congress' hands are going to be forced to regulate the NIL process. It's currently out of control. Baseball free agency has far more rules/regulations than the NIL process. There is no way the NIL process can continue to move forward under the current scenario. I'm predicting the NIL process is going to look a whole lot different in the next two years. If not, college sports is going to take a big hit.
Professional sports leagues are allowed to regulate their pay scales based on negotiations they make with their players associations. They can have salary caps for teams and maximum contracts for players. That’s totally legal. Those leagues cannot legally regulate what their players make on endorsement deals.

The same is true for the NCAA. They can still legally regulate schools when it comes to the school paying players. It‘s possible that they could legally regulate schools on deals boosters do with athletes, though the water might get murky if that booster owns a business that is endorsing the player. The NCAA has and will have no ability to have a salary cap on NIL if the money is not coming from the school. If Nike wants to pay a college kid $5 million for an endorsement, then there’s nothing the NCAA will be able to do about that.

There are some moderate changes that the NCAA can make when it comes to NIL, but there are going to be some significant legal hurdles for the NCAA to do as much as some people want them to do.

Professional sports leagues are allowed to regulate their pay scales based on negotiations they make with their players associations. They can have salary caps for teams and maximum contracts for players. That’s totally legal. Those leagues cannot legally regulate what their players make on endorsement deals.

The same is true for the NCAA. They can still legally regulate schools when it comes to the school paying players. It‘s possible that they could legally regulate schools on deals boosters do with athletes, though the water might get murky if that booster owns a business that is endorsing the player. The NCAA has and will have no ability to have a salary cap on NIL if the money is not coming from the school. If Nike wants to pay a college kid $5 million for an endorsement, then there’s nothing the NCAA will be able to do about that.

There are some moderate changes that the NCAA can make when it comes to NIL, but there are going to be some significant legal hurdles for the NCAA to do as much as some people want them to do.
The only real way to regulate NIL is to make sure it's NIL. I think a lot of what's going on is simply paying players to play, it's not NIL at all.

The only real way to regulate NIL is to make sure it's NIL. I think a lot of what's going on is simply paying players to play, it's not NIL at all.
You’re going to run into some privacy issues when trying to dig into people’s bank accounts. The NCAA isn’t a federal or state agency. They have limited powers to find out how much money a player is getting and where it comes from. What players, schools, and boosters will learn is to not be so public in what the players are getting. Right now, they’re advertising it too much.

You’re going to run into some privacy issues when trying to dig into people’s bank accounts. The NCAA isn’t a federal or state agency. They have limited powers to find out how much money a player is getting and where it comes from. What players, schools, and boosters will learn is to not be so public in what the players are getting. Right now, they’re advertising it too much.
This may be true. This means then that we are entering a free for all. I have always been for players legitimate right to make money from name recognition etc. but the bidding wars going on now, not so much. College sports may lose my support if they don't find a way to regulate this. And I can tell you I'm not alone in that feeling. Read sites like this from schools all over the country, big time and small time and it's the same everywhere, people are fed up and they are going to find something else to do with their time and money.

This may be true. This means then that we are entering a free for all. I have always been for players legitimate right to make money from name recognition etc. but the bidding wars going on now, not so much. College sports may lose my support if they don't find a way to regulate this. And I can tell you I'm not alone in that feeling. Read sites like this from schools all over the country, big time and small time and it's the same everywhere, people are fed up and they are going to find something else to do with their time and money.
People are fed up and we haven’t even had one cycle of this to see how things will play out. That tells me as much about the people as it does about what’s going on. People aren’t patient and they make up their mind on things without even understanding what’s happening. This process is going to take several years or more to work it’s way out.

Back