Front court may have just got a little thinner...

xjohnx

Original Gangster
Elite Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2009
Posts
8,773
Likes
7,696
Saintil recently tweeted that he's out for 3 months after having surgery recently.
 
darn. So our backups are a walk-on redshirt freshman in David Hinton and T.J. Gwynn for the 1st semester. Larry and Kirill have to stay out of foul trouble or we will be in trouble early on in the season.
 
darn, three months? Guess it depends on how rehab goes, but T might be looking at a redshirt if he's not able to play until the end of January.

This is Exhibit A of why it was important for the staff to sign a big man for depth purposes in the current freshman class, even though they got a late start and probably had slim pickings by then. Now teams are going to drive the ball at Larry more than ever and try to get him out of the game.
 
David Hinton gonna have to step up



Probably gonna be playing Small Ball early on
 
Might have just found a little room for Gavin and Rozzell to be on the floor at the same time...
 
AG_fan said:
darn, three months? Guess it depends on how rehab goes, but T might be looking at a redshirt if he's not able to play until the end of January.

This is Exhibit A of why it was important for the staff to sign a big man for depth purposes in the current freshman class, even though they got a late start and probably had slim pickings by then. Now teams are going to drive the ball at Larry more than ever and try to get him out of the game.


I'd rather get good players than get some stiff who is nothing more than a body who probably wouldnt even be ready to do anything in the first three months of the season
 
Looks like we are going to find out if Hinton is good enough to earn a scolly at some point. There should be some min's available for him pre Skeen. I think TJ can handle a good bit of the load coming off of the bench as long as he stays healthy. Hopefully T has a speedy recovery. I agree that if it does take a full 3 months that a medical redshirt might be the best option, but who knows at this point. I didn't realize that an injury like this could put you out for so long.
 
uhmm, so 3 months. That means Nov, Dec and Jan. Season is over in March, hopefully late March. So do we bring him back for say six weeks or red shirt him? If he red shirts then do we still recruit two more for next season?
 
getSmart said:
uhmm, so 3 months. That means Nov, Dec and Jan. Season is over in March, hopefully late March. So do we bring him back for say six weeks or red shirt him? If he red shirts then do we still recruit two more for next season?

Well Saintil was already counted on as being here next season so I don't think he will affect the scholarships offered/accepted
 
Calm down guys, we have several capable bodies down low who may not be a "big" but they can certainly get it done down low. Bradford is 6'6 and TJ is around the same so it's not like Hinton has to play.
 
I'm still not sold on these people saying Hinton playing is a bad thing. He was a "recruited walkon". David has size and he has had a year to redshirt (and thus, a year to practice with larry.)

I think he will prove to be a serviceable big man, a la calvin roland. Come in and do what's asked of him. He's not going to be a larry sanders type performer, but he won't be a sam harris either.
 
xjohnx said:
I'm still not sold on these people saying Hinton playing is a bad thing. He was a "recruited walkon". David has size and he has had a year to redshirt (and thus, a year to practice with larry.)

I think he will prove to be a serviceable big man, a la calvin roland. Come in and do what's asked of him. He's not going to be a larry sanders type performer, but he won't be a sam harris either.
I agree, although we will have to wait and see. The first half of the season will probably be the best opportunity that he will have to prove himself. Hopefully he is up for it. I suspect that Hinton could also be the reason that no big men were signed in the 2009 recruiting class. Getting such a late start it is possible that there were no bigs left out there to offer a ship to that were any better then Hinton who we already have for free. Obviously AG saw enough in him to bring him on board and redshirt him last season and Coach Smart much see something in him as well because he is still on the team. Sure T being injured doesn't mean that Hinton has to play for us to get by, but we might want him to play.
 
It wasn't that long ago that Sam Faulk was our starting center. We'll be fine.
 
Back
Top